• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:
15 hours ago, D84 said:
22 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Except for Brian's 35, the other results look weak to me. Maybe I haven't been paying attention for awhile.

I thought the 35 2.0 was a soft price, but the 36 2.5 seemed strong.

Yes, I would tend to agree with you about the "'Tec 35 finishing on the low side since it was even about $2K under the Overstreet condition guide price.  :(

The ton of tape and tape stains certainly contributed.

Nice book and congrats on the pick-up!  It's really up to you whether you want to keep it in its current slab or have CGC grade it.  It seems to me though that the residue on the slab is bothering you and may bother you for a long time. With that said, it might be better for you to have it slabbed by CGC.  Sure PQ and grade can change as well as possible things that can be overlooked such as trimming.  There will always be a risk when submitting for grading, just up to you and go with your gut feeling.    

30 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Nice book and congrats on the pick-up!  It's really up to you whether you want to keep it in its current slab or have CGC grade it.  It seems to me though that the residue on the slab is bothering you and may bother you for a long time. With that said, it might be better for you to have it slabbed by CGC.  Sure PQ and grade can change as well as possible things that can be overlooked such as trimming.  There will always be a risk when submitting for grading, just up to you and go with your gut feeling.    

Let Borock reholder it

58 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

One thing I really like that D.C. did for a short time with Detective's 32 34 36 37 and Adventure 43 45 and 48 was put Batman and Sandman's head in the top center of the cover. Too bad they didn't do more like that.

I love the Batman head top center on my 32. It may not be a Batman cover, but it looks like he's looking over it.

I can solve this mystery for you. It was my book and I am the one who did it! So allow me to explain what happened . . .

The book had a sticker on it which had been partially removed but looked fugly so I thought I would try to remove the residue with a citrus-based cleaning compound. (Lloyds natural citrus based cleaner/degreaser)

Well it worked well at first but then I noticed it started to "smear" the plastic so I cleaned it best I could but it unfortunately ruined the plastic a bit.

I do have a picture of it prior to my removal attempt so here you go . . .

I can assure you that the book was not tampered with in any way.

Just a rookie who didn't have glue-gone and tried too harsh a chemical to remove some glue residue. (Live and learn).

I am sure you know this but you can get the free graders notes from the holders website.

When I purchased it the seller said this. . .

"This copy has always appeared to be severely under graded. I've added some close up photos to show how sharp the corners are and how tight the spine is. Visually it looks to be more like a 7.5/8.0 and may benefit from a investment standpoint to be regraded."

Hope this information helps you feel better. I thought of sending it to CGC myself for a re-grade.1410028836_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.06b01aa31716f72ea1dfce3d1e38f282.jpg

"This is the only graded book I own which is not graded by CGC. One of the first things I noticed was some sort of hard, clear substance on the surface of the back of the holder. Looks like perhaps some sort of glue smeared mostly on the top part of the case behind the label but also going down to the top of the back cover. Looks like someone tried to clean something off of it but instead just smeared it around.  First thing I thought was that it possibly tampered with. The case looks intact like original and I checked the previous sale of this book from Feb 20, 2016 on Heritage and it is the same book. The book was graded in 2016. In 2016 there was none of this substance on the back of the holder. Truth is it bothers me, but thats not the reason I'm posting today."

Well . . .considering you joined two weeks after me. . .that is no way to talk to a "veteran" who is only 25,822 posts behind you after this one :tink:

Seriously, I quit collecting for a long time just after I joined due to young children and monetary constraints. But times have changed and I am getting back aboard the Golden Age train.

I will try to post more in the near future. You guys are extremely knowledgable and fun to listen to. Cheers!

7 hours ago, Canadoggy said:

I can solve this mystery for you. It was my book and I am the one who did it! So allow me to explain what happened . . .

The book had a sticker on it which had been partially removed but looked fugly so I thought I would try to remove the residue with a citrus-based cleaning compound. (Lloyds natural citrus based cleaner/degreaser)

Well it worked well at first but then I noticed it started to "smear" the plastic so I cleaned it best I could but it unfortunately ruined the plastic a bit.

I do have a picture of it prior to my removal attempt so here you go . . .

I can assure you that the book was not tampered with in any way.

Just a rookie who didn't have glue-gone and tried too harsh a chemical to remove some glue residue. (Live and learn).

I am sure you know this but you can get the free graders notes from the holders website.

When I purchased it the seller said this. . .

"This copy has always appeared to be severely under graded. I've added some close up photos to show how sharp the corners are and how tight the spine is. Visually it looks to be more like a 7.5/8.0 and may benefit from a investment standpoint to be regraded."

Hope this information helps you feel better. I thought of sending it to CGC myself for a re-grade.1410028836_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.06b01aa31716f72ea1dfce3d1e38f282.jpg

Wow I didn't expect that. Thank you for clearing that up. Very appreciated. Mystery solved. And I can't believe I missed it before but now I've seen the pictures from that sale thanks to gocollect. The seller put up some nice pics.

It does have pretty nice corners Now I have more things to consider. If I was to send it to CGC I need to decide if I should send it to them in the current holder or crack it myself. I'm going to put some pics I saved from that e bay sale in 2019 and ask you all this- Does it look trimmed? I know, I am a paranoid S O B. Its just those edges and corners do look surprisingly sharp.

11092955.jpg

11092953.jpg

11092956.jpg

11092954.jpg

Edited by Professor Chaos
spelling correction

13 hours ago, D84 said:

I love the Batman head top center on my 32. It may not be a Batman cover, but it looks like he's looking over it.

It's not a cover The Batman is FEATURED on, but Detective 32 is the 4th time his face appeared on a cover ... EVER!!! Think about that for a second. He's probably been pictured on thousands of comic covers but that issue is only the 4th cover appearance!

2 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I don't have it in hand yet, but I am VERY excited to have purchased THIS book about a week ago! I sold my restored 7.5 last year and this is EXACTLY what I was looking for as a replacement!

Detective 34.jpg

Ya Clink sends me so many E-mails that I delete them never saw this for sale :makepoint: would have loved to have it since it's the D copy and I have a few. I would be interested when the book wants a Divorce from you. :takeit:

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

Ya Clink sends me so many E-mails that I delete them never saw this for sale :makepoint: would have loved to have it since it's the D copy and I have a few. I would be interested when the book wants a Divorce from you. :takeit:

This wasn't actually "for sale" but rather it was in an auction which I believe ran for 12 days, with a fair amount of time spent in preview. It wasn't on the exchange. 

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

This wasn't actually "for sale" but rather it was in an auction which I believe ran for 12 days, with a fair amount of time spent in preview. It wasn't on the exchange. 

I new it was at Auction after it sold. They send me 3 to 5 e-mails a day saying Auction closing along with CGC CBCS Beckett Grading Services and scams in India than my free stay at Marriott's with my Auto Warranty Scams along with Amazon charging my credit card 799.00 i just Delete Delete :facepalm: now i lost my chance to bid on this great Tec 34. Great pick up @Frisco Larson (thumbsu

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

I new it was at Auction after it sold. They send me 3 to 5 e-mails a day saying Auction closing along with CGC CBCS Beckett Grading Services and scams in India than my free stay at Marriott's with my Auto Warranty Scams along with Amazon charging my credit card 799.00 i just Delete Delete :facepalm: now i lost my chance to bid on this great Tec 34. Great pick up @Frisco Larson (thumbsu

Thanks! It's been one that I've wanted to get another copy of since I sold my restored 7.5. There will be another one down the road and if I see something I can pm you to make sure you see it. (thumbsu

On 6/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, Professor Chaos said:
On 6/7/2021 at 11:51 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Let Borock reholder it

Oh boy. I'm almost afraid to ask. Who is Borock and why should he/she/they/it be the ones for the job? 

Are you serious or are you just trying to make a funny joke here?  hm