• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2021 at 2:40 AM, Dark Knight said:

Good luck with the grade! Hopefully it can grade the same at the very least :wishluck:. Sure looks better than a 6.0, but restored copies are kinda tricky to grade correctly.

Hey Dark, it does look at least to be a 6.0. Corners are pretty sharp which is good but also a concern. Of course I'll post it as soon as I get it back with the Purple label.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:39 PM, Professor K said:

Well I finally got around to re-submitting my restored Tec 36 to CGC. They picked it up today in Sarasota. Walkthrough tier. 13 business days. Going to try my hardest not to look at the grade on the site and just find out when I open the box. 

1940-2 Detective Comics 36.jpg

Beautiful in the holder

Congrats! Looks nice in it's new holder. Without that ugly smear on the back that other fool put on there :blush:

I thought there was a chance it might get higher but you really can't complain it didn't go lower either!

I am sure you have improved it's value just by being in that new holder.

I miss my old baby . . . :x Treat her well . . .

On 10/12/2021 at 11:56 PM, Canadoggy said:

Congrats! Looks nice in it's new holder. Without that ugly smear on the back that other fool put on there :blush:

I thought there was a chance it might get higher but you really can't complain it didn't go lower either!

I am sure you have improved it's value just by being in that new holder.

I miss my old baby . . . :x Treat her well . . .

Thanks. I was hoping it would have came back a 7.0 , but you're right can't complain that the grade didn't change. It does look much better in the CGC holder. The colors are much better than my scan shows. The only hit I took was a notch lower in page quality. As long as CGC took the time to grade the book and didn't just slap on the same grade I'm fine with it.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:18 AM, RareHighGrade said:
On 10/12/2021 at 8:56 PM, Canadoggy said:

It does look much nicer than a 6.0.  The grade must be due to interior issues.

Based upon my experience, I always find that restored books tend to look much nicer than their assigned grades.  (thumbsu

Not sure if the is due to the possibilty that the graders are also downgrading for the part of the book that has been restored?  Especially if the look and feel of that particular part of the book is not as "natural" when you actually have it in hand as compared to an unrestored copy of the same book.  (shrug)

On the other hand, I also find that pedigree books often do not present quite as nicely as their assigned grades and makes me wonder if this is because the graders might be a bit intimidated by the pedigree and give the book the benefit of the doubt if in question?  hm  (shrug)

On 10/14/2021 at 5:56 PM, lou_fine said:

Based upon my experience, I always find that restored books tend to look much nicer than their assigned grades.  (thumbsu

Not sure if the is due to the possibilty that the graders are also downgrading for the part of the book that has been restored?  Especially if the look and feel of that particular part of the book is not as "natural" when you actually have it in hand as compared to an unrestored copy of the same book.  (shrug)

On the other hand, I also find that pedigree books often do not present quite as nicely as their assigned grades and makes me wonder if this is because the graders might be a bit intimidated by the pedigree and give the book the benefit of the doubt if in question?  hm  (shrug)

I think all that is true.

Edited by Professor K
shortened

On 11/9/2021 at 12:49 PM, D84 said:

Yeah. I asked for several pictures before pulling the trigger.

the fc was auctioned off on comiclink in Feb...

Capture.thumb.JPG.8a3dea5937a9d658329b6a4ece8c6f90.JPG

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 11/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, Gotham Kid said:

the fc was auctioned off on comiclink in Feb...

Capture.thumb.JPG.8a3dea5937a9d658329b6a4ece8c6f90.JPG

I know I overpaid for the book, but it's a keeper.

Honestly, I'm glad that the front cover was sold by Comiclink. The whites are so white that before looking closely at the paper and printing, I was concerned it was a reproduction. 

Thanks for sharing.

Do you have an actual link for it? I'm having trouble searching for it.

Edited by D84

On 11/9/2021 at 7:31 PM, D84 said:

I know I overpaid for the book, but it's a keeper.

Honestly, I'm glad that the front cover was sold by Comiclink. The whites are so white that before looking closely at the paper and printing, I was concerned it was a reproduction. 

Thanks for sharing.

Do you have an actual link for it? I'm having trouble searching for it.

The cover is from a Winters book. Those books usually all have bright and strong colors and the book usually has white or ow/ w pages. I wonder why the cover was separated from the book. None of the books were incomplete and the front is apparently in great condition.