• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

I wanted to congratulate our own Tom (topnotchman) for what should be a nice score after the dust is settled and he's sold this little gem.

Any guesses to the final price? I'd say it should break $500, however, I just about crapped my pants when I first saw the listing last night. I rumaged through the longbox of stuff I picked up at Earl Shaw's booth, only to find I did score a copy of this book, although I doubt its any better then 9.2/9.4.

Copper age books are doing just fine, thank you. :headbang:

:o amazing how a copper-age Marvel book - and of a (relatively) mainstream title - should be so rare.. did it have a particularly low print run?

Yeah, it's pretty tough. There was a gap of nearly 7 year between issue #31 and #32...and then another 9 month gap for #33.

Why Marvel decided to do this, when it hadn't been done with other Marvel books in years, is anyone's guess. They probably would have sold more if they'd just made it a "One Shot" #1.

I just started reading this thread today, which book had the 7 year gap between issues?

Howard the Duck.

Thanks for the info. (thumbs u

How about Peter Hsu's Quadrant? I have issue #6 and the inside cover reads 5000 printed.

:censored: I guess sooner or later someone would have found out. I wasn't ready to share that information yet.

:shrug:

You were keeping THAT back..?

;)

I saw you selling the 2Ds, and it's a shame...I paid $51 for my first copy of LE/PB. :(

But that's ok, I bought 20 more for $4 each. :grin:

Thanks for the info. (thumbs u

How about Peter Hsu's Quadrant? I have issue #6 and the inside cover reads 5000 printed.

:censored: I guess sooner or later someone would have found out. I wasn't ready to share that information yet.

:shrug:

You were keeping THAT back..?

;)

I saw you selling the 2Ds, and it's a shame...I paid $51 for my first copy of LE/PB. :(

But that's ok, I bought 20 more for $4 each. :grin:

Rule #1: Always have more than 1 copy. :grin:

Here's an 80s book I suspect few (if any?) of you have seen - would suspect it to be quite rare indeed. Pack in comic sold with some copies of the Golgo 13 NES video game. The VAST majority of the copies of the game did NOT come with the comic. The other way to get the comic was by mail in offer. I suspect when they couldn't sell out their limited print run of the comics by mail in offer, they packed the rest with copies of the game. Dated 1989 and based on a popular manga franchise

---------

per wiki

In 1989 and 1990, LEED and Vic Tokai published two new Golgo 13 comic books, as part of the promotion for two Golgo 13 video games. The comics were released to the US public via a mail-in offer with the purchase of the games and were later even found packaged with the video games. Each issue contained one complete story and had nothing to do with the storylines of the video games themselves.

------------

In 2006, Golgo 13 was brought back by Viz Media as part of the Viz Signature collection. The stories are picked from the forty-year history of the manga, and do not necessarily represent the original's order of publication. A total of thirteen volumes were published, with the thirteenth volume being published on February 19, 2008. Each volume ends with an editorial commentary on Golgo 13 as a cultural phenomenon in Japan.[6]

Well, I missed this the first time around. I had no idea this book was so rare...picked up a copy off the shelf when it came out...are they worth anything?

golgo13.jpg

Anyone mention the Limited Edition Miracle Man #1's yet?

The Blue and Gold certificate edition? I know it was mentioned somewhere in here, but I don't remember how much in depth the discussion of it was.

From Lone Star's website: "The blues are part of the first 1000 copies of Miracleman #1 printed. The first 400 with gold certificates are signed & numbered by Alan Moore. The remaining 600 were given blue certificates and signed by Cat Yronwode and Dean Mullaney but not numbered. These first 1000 copies all have a printing crease on the front cover."

They have both in stock, a 9.0 blue for $440 and a 9.2 gold for $639.

Here's an 80s book I suspect few (if any?) of you have seen - would suspect it to be quite rare indeed. Pack in comic sold with some copies of the Golgo 13 NES video game. The VAST majority of the copies of the game did NOT come with the comic. The other way to get the comic was by mail in offer. I suspect when they couldn't sell out their limited print run of the comics by mail in offer, they packed the rest with copies of the game. Dated 1989 and based on a popular manga franchise

---------

per wiki

In 1989 and 1990, LEED and Vic Tokai published two new Golgo 13 comic books, as part of the promotion for two Golgo 13 video games. The comics were released to the US public via a mail-in offer with the purchase of the games and were later even found packaged with the video games. Each issue contained one complete story and had nothing to do with the storylines of the video games themselves.

------------

In 2006, Golgo 13 was brought back by Viz Media as part of the Viz Signature collection. The stories are picked from the forty-year history of the manga, and do not necessarily represent the original's order of publication. A total of thirteen volumes were published, with the thirteenth volume being published on February 19, 2008. Each volume ends with an editorial commentary on Golgo 13 as a cultural phenomenon in Japan.[6]

Well, I missed this the first time around. I had no idea this book was so rare...picked up a copy off the shelf when it came out...are they worth anything?

golgo13.jpg

How big is it? I'm pretty sure I had the game but it definitely didn't come with a comic

If you bought it off the rack then it may not be as rare as I thought lol

I dunno - all I can say is a few copies of the game came sealed with the game and comic together. I didn't think the comic had any release outside of that, but I could be wrong.

Are you sure you picked it up new & not used?

I honestly don't remember where I got it. Suppose it could have been second hand. The funny thing is, I had the game as well, but I know the game did not come with it. The reason I bought the comic was because I had the game! But it was over 20 years ago and I don't remember exactly where I bought the comic. :sorry: