• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my X-Men 50

23 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm a rebble so I'll go 9.2 on this one. I just don't think those defects are all that noticeable when you shrink the scan down to normal size. grin.gif
:

What's a rebble? confused.gif

You some kinda' spelling cop or something? Hmmm...some kinda moderator...is that it? Not happy with just being another forum member? Feel ya' gotta' stick out some how?

Is that It?

Well....is it? mad.gif

Another word for rebal?

How do you spell reble?

rebla - naw, that's not it.

Hmmmm..rebellion is a word so,,rebel?

Am I getting close?

Somebody help!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Oh yeah...is it a 9.2? grin.gif

Ok, I'm a rebble so I'll go 9.2 on this one. I just don't think those defects are all that noticeable when you shrink the scan down to normal size. grin.gif
:

What's a rebble? confused.gif

You some kinda' spelling cop or something? Hmmm...some kinda moderator...is that it? Not happy with just being another forum member? Feel ya' gotta' stick out some how?

Is that It?

Well....is it? mad.gif

Another word for rebal?

How do you spell reble?

rebla - naw, that's not it.

Hmmmm..rebellion is a word so,,rebel?

Am I getting close?

Somebody help!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Oh yeah...is it a 9.2? grin.gif

Spelling grade VG-(3.5)... gossip.gifshy.gif

Interesting that only two people picked the right grade. Even more interesting that everyone else picked a lower grade.

x50grade.jpg

Now I wonder... is everyone here an under grader... or did the fine folks at CGC just give this the benefit of the doubt because of it being a Pacific Coast pedigree?

Any thoughts?

Could be a number of things;

First off, whether they admit it or not, people grading here will always be stricter than usual because they want to give the perception of being strict graders. Not to say that they aren't anyway, but if they are on the fence about a grade, it's more than likely that they will round their answer down. No one wants to be caught calling a CGC 6.0 a NM- 9.2. blush.gif

Secondly; what I've found with posting huge, larger than life scans, is that defects are also going to be blown up and exagerated in proportion with the larger image. Common sense, obviously. But sometimes it's hard to take that into account when factoring out a grade. This is one reason many sellers hesitate to put up huge scans; not necessarily because they want to hide what is there, but they don't want to put a magnifying glass on the imperfections either.

All that being said, my thought when looking at the scan was 8.5. But the difference between CGC 8.5's and 9.0's can be tricky. I wouldn't say it's overgraded, but I will say that it caught CGC on a good day.