• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My take on when the SilverAge ended (a Marvel view)

81 posts in this topic

Yes it has been talked to death before. But here's my take.

The 100th issue of Fantastic Four July 1970 marks the end of the Silver Age. I realize that some will disagree. (Fine)

My reasons (1) As of July 1970 we have had a full year of the new 15 cent cover price.

(2) July 1970 sees the return of Two Gun Kid after being stuck in limbo for two years.

101716.jpg

(3) During the time period of July 1970, the X-Men stop production. Not even the Hulk could boost the sales enough apparently.

101718.jpg

When they return in December they start the reprinting of old X-men stories and will continue until GiantSize 1 and X-men 94.

(4) In August of 1970 we see the beginnings of 4 new titles. Ka-Zar; Amazing Adventures; Astonishing Tales; and Outlaw Kid.

WE ARE NOW IN BRONZE

101717.jpg

(5) During the last Silver Age (July) and First Bronze Age (August) we haven't seen Silver Surfers title (since June), but will see the last issue in September.

101719.jpg

The Surfer's demise is still one month away from Conan the Barbarian.

So when you finally see this on the news stand.....

101720.jpg

the Bronze Age had been in full swing for two months already.

So by default... any and all issues of Conan will be BRONZE.

So I choose August of 1970 as the beginning of Bronze. Your mileage may vary as my opinion is merely that.

And on the DC side.... here is the August 1970 Wonder Woman.

101721.jpg I can't see why anyone would think that's Silver. :screwy:

Someone could easily argue that the Bronze Age started earlier than August 1970, and good points can be made for that.

But it can't be after October.

If the book says Conan... it's Bronze. :sumo:

So the book that ushered in the Bronze Age is...Outlaw Kid #1?

:)

:roflmao:

It was in the scan like it would show up on the news stand. :sumo:

There are always things on the fringe of a movement before it gets into the full swing. I don't disagree with what he's saying.

More like the mind set of that time period precipitated what happened and what happened is what was printed during that time period.

Mica, sounds like a good amount of thought went into this.

Have to say that it's very compelling.

(thumbs u

My apologies before I begin, Mica, :baiting: but I am going to take exception with some of the arguments made. :sumo:

Yes it has been talked to death before. But here's my take.

The 100th issue of Fantastic Four July 1970 marks the end of the Silver Age. I realize that some will disagree. (Fine)

#100 is just a number. There's nothing inside of it that marks it from the next issue. Kirby leaves in two issues. Is that not more important?

My reasons (1) As of July 1970 we have had a full year of the new 15 cent cover price.

A price change is a convenient demarkation point but not necessarily reflective of a content or direction change. A year of a price change is even less significant.

(2) July 1970 sees the return of Two Gun Kid after being stuck in limbo for two years.

Two-Gun Kid was a reprint title.

(3) During the time period of July 1970, the X-Men stop production. Not even the Hulk could boost the sales enough apparently.

Unless the X-Men defined the Silver Age, I don't see how it's cancellation ends it.

When they return in December they start the reprinting of old X-men stories and will continue until GiantSize 1 and X-men 94.

Four and a half years of reprints does not a Bronze Age make.

(4) In August of 1970 we see the beginnings of 4 new titles. Ka-Zar; Amazing Adventures; Astonishing Tales; and Outlaw Kid.

Ka-Zar and Outlaw Kid are reprint titles. Nothing new here.

AA 1 came out in April and AT1 came out in May. They alternated months and the split format proved to be unsuccessful.

Lil Kids 1 came out in April and Captain Marvel was cancelled. Same sort of argument.

(5) During the last Silver Age (July) and First Bronze Age (August) we haven't seen Silver Surfers title (since June), but will see the last issue in September.

The Surfer's demise is still one month away from Conan the Barbarian.

This is a statement of fact but not an argument.

So when you finally see this on the news stand.....

101720.jpg

the Bronze Age had been in full swing for two months already.

So by default... any and all issues of Conan will be BRONZE.

So I choose August of 1970 as the beginning of Bronze.

Which August? The books covered dated August that were released in April (Captain Marvel #21 or Amazing Adventures #1) or those cover dated August and released in May (Fantastic Four #100 and Spider-Man #87) or those cover dated August and released in June (Thor #179 and Daredevil #67)?

Your mileage may vary as my opinion is merely that.

Someone could easily argue that the Bronze Age started earlier than August 1970, and good points can be made for that.

But it can't be after October.

If the book says Conan... it's Bronze. :sumo:

In counter argument, I'd proffer that Conan begins the Bronze Age because of the content and direction change it signaled; because of its success; and, because it is convenient to use a single point to mark change. :slapfight:

Speaking in generalities, I'm starting to come around more to the idea of transitional periods, be they brief or prolonged, between the various ages. Just seems to make more sense to me sometimes. I am a firm believer in a transitional period between BA and CA.

I can't believe I'm doing this...

...but, I tend to agree with Craig Shutt, AKA Mr. Silver Age, on the "Ages". To determine Bronze, I like to look at the criteria used for Silver and Gold. In each case, the new Age was ushered in by a dynamic new change in superhero comics.

In 1938, we had comics, but didn't really have the Golden Age until Superman debuted. The Golden Age continued along until superheroes began to fall out of favor. This time saw the rise in popularity of diverse genres; westerns, romance, sci-fi, horror, etc. The superhero was in remission.

The start of the Silver Age is debated, but 1956's Showcase #4 fits the bill for me. The blending of science fiction and superhero was the catalyst for a fresh round of superheroes, and by 1962, Marvel's additions confirmed it. The ending of the Silver Age is trickier, as more heroes survived its "end" as Bats and Supes did the Gold. But I see the rise in popularity of other genres as evidence of the Silver Age ending. The fans-turned-creators of the 1970s began to re-use Lee-Kirby stories, and the superhero lost momentum. Hither came Conan. And horror, and humor, and kung fu...

This leaves us with a Bronze Age that begins with Giant-Size X-Men #1. It, along with the rise of the New Teen Titans, made the superhero intersting again. I know that this is too far out for most of us to deal with, but it's consistant with the criteria set for the other ages, and it's the way I see it.

I like this discussion! Very interesting.
Stay tuned this Thursday morning for a shocking announcement, that Flee and I are working on. :cool:

IIn each case, the new Age was ushered in by a dynamic new change in superhero comics.

Wow, that's about as close-minded an argument as I've seen on here.

I've read pretty well all Marvel comics ever printed, including letters and BB's, and there is no question that on the Marvel side, this heralded the start of the BA. It has everything that exemplified the BA, an anti-hero, 3rd-party licensing, horror, monsters, heroes/villains who killed, Satanism, character deaths, etc. and it's quite obvious Marvel knew it would be big.

101724.jpg.724e700e12653b621bac911ce660c0d4.jpg

I have always subscribed to the school of thought that believes the resurgence of the toupée ushered in the Bronze Age.

hm When did Stan Lee start wearing his? You might be on to something...

101723.jpg.aa3d45d8db349f2606748ffef2fd26bb.jpg