• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

Then if all the bidders had the same problem as MCF335, it was a legitimate auction, at least according to how ebay's system is set up (whether you agree with that system is another matter)

Well, we don't know if the other five bidders had the same issue, but if I were a betting man...

This isn't directed specifically at you, but I'd like to highlight the fact that one of the actual bidders in this auction has confirmed, almost to a T, what I first posited on page 12 of this thread.

I guess the way to avoid this is to put a note in your auction telling people that they to need to make sure with ebay that they are verified before they bid $15,000 or more.

I mentioned that up-thread. Sellers who want bids on books over $15k probably want to start doing that, because they're probably not getting the action they should be on HV books.

Then if all the bidders had the same problem as MCF335, it was a legitimate auction, at least according to how ebay's system is set up (whether you agree with that system is another matter)

Well, we don't know if the other five bidders had the same issue, but if I were a betting man...

This isn't directed specifically at you, but I'd like to highlight the fact that one of the actual bidders in this auction has confirmed, almost to a T, what I first posited on page 12 of this thread.

I guess the way to avoid this is to put a note in your auction telling people that they to need to make sure with ebay that they are verified before they bid $15,000 or more.

I mentioned that up-thread. Sellers who want bids on books over $15k probably want to start doing that, because they're probably not getting the action they should be on HV books.

Thanks...another reason to avoid ebay :frustrated:

Basically, I am currently in contact with ebay-blocked bidders 1, 2, and 4 (3 has not answered 3 e-mails and I'm a baseball fan). I've asked all three bidders if they would post in this thread (so P-Mack can treat them as hostile witnesses and interrogate them). One of the interesting things seems to be that, although all 3 were willing to spend a large amount on the ASM1, not one of them seems familiar with the Boards.

I guess we are a lake on an island in the middle of the ocean.

Hopefully, Bidder 4 will chime in with his experiences as his ebay feedback was 4000+ and its hard to believe ebay would have fouled him up. It also looks like I'm pretty much guaranteed a happy ending as all three bidders I'm in contact with seem to want to go through with the purchase once sure of my bonafides.

PS- Michael (the high bidder) informed me that he has an un-restored Amazing Fantasy 15 that he personally purchased off the rack which he thinks is in very fine or so condition. I've given him as much good info I can about the book (pressing, dealers, consignment sites) so that he doesn't get ripped off when he goes to sell.

Personally, I'd just like to see it and told him about the grading forum where the experts here can give him an opinion. Here's hoping he posts a pic. :wishluck:

I've asked all three bidders if they would post in this thread (so P-Mack can treat them as hostile witnesses and interrogate them).

Listen, I understand any hostility you might have towards me-- I really do.

But the point of my asking questions is not to treat anyone as a hostile witness, it's to determine if there really is a problem. And if there is, we need to find out under what conditions it appears.

If there really is an ebay glitch, it's to everyone's benefit to determine exactly what it is. Because I guarantee that what happened to you happens to other people, probably regularly.

If it happens out of bidder/seller ignorance of ebay's rules, discussion of it educates everyone. Sellers can let bidders know about the verification process ahead of time. If the bidder in this thread knew about the verification, he could have completed it well before trying to snipe, and might own the book now.

If it's actually an ebay problem, anyone (bidder or seller) who calls ebay will have a lot more success than you if they can specifically define the problem. Because if the ebay CSR doesn't understand the problem, they can keep escalating until they get someone who does. When you don't understand the problem in the first place, its impossible to gauge if the person you're talking to has the ability to help you.

Please don't take my questions as a specific dig at you. While I still think you screwed the auction winner, you --as a seller-- got screwed as well, and it's to everyone's benefit to ensure the possibility of it happening again is mitigated.

PS- Michael (the high bidder) informed me that he has an un-restored Amazing Fantasy 15 that he personally purchased off the rack which he thinks is in very fine or so condition. I've given him as much good info I can about the book (pressing, dealers, consignment sites) so that he doesn't get ripped off when he goes to sell.

:boo:

Basically, I am currently in contact with ebay-blocked bidders 1, 2, and 4 (3 has not answered 3 e-mails and I'm a baseball fan). I've asked all three bidders if they would post in this thread (so P-Mack can treat them as hostile witnesses and interrogate them). One of the interesting things seems to be that, although all 3 were willing to spend a large amount on the ASM1, not one of them seems familiar with the Boards.

Hopefully, Bidder 4 will chime in with his experiences as his ebay feedback was 4000+ and its hard to believe ebay would have fouled him up. It also looks like I'm pretty much guaranteed a happy ending as all three bidders I'm in contact with seem to want to go through with the purchase once sure of my bonafides.

Personally, I'd just like to see it and told him about the grading forum where the experts here can give him an opinion. Here's hoping he posts a pic. :wishluck:

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that you'll save the eBay fees on over $14500. Happy ending alright. (thumbs u

:o

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that you'll save the eBay fees on over $14500. Happy ending alright. (thumbs u

I would not assume he is going to avoid fees on the current finished auction. The buyer doesn't sound like he is going to cooperate. If he goes through with a Non-performing seller complaint, I do not know what eBay's policy is on fees when they find against the seller and give the seller a strike.

I've won every time I've had a NPS claim against me and got my fees back.

I've asked all three bidders if they would post in this thread (so P-Mack can treat them as hostile witnesses and interrogate them).

Listen, I understand any hostility you might have towards me-- I really do.

Pmack- This was a joke. I have absolutely no hostility to you at all. Actually, quite the opposite. In fact, I enjoyed your exchanges with RockMyAmadeus immensely. Any good argument needs committed debaters on both sides of the issue. Best of all, as the two of you argued, I learned some things. And you should be proud of yourself, you put up a pretty good fight (argument) against someone who is obviously a professional. It was like watching a really good committed middleweight going up against a heavyweight (Billy Conn vs. Joe Louis, maybe?).

It also reminded me of one of the funniest comedy bits I know: Monty Python's 'Argument Clinic' with just a touch of abuse.

It also reminded me of one of the funniest comedy bits I know: Monty Python's 'Argument Clinic' with just a touch of abuse.

No it doesn't

I'm sorry, you're five minutes are up...

Best of all, as the two of you argued, I learned some things.

I'l give him that...he put up a good fight. ;)

That's more than I can say for most of the pantywaists around here...

:insane:

(That was the best JC impression I have. How'd I do...?)

Allow me to now point out what is, for me, 99.9999999999999993672% of why I debate so vigorously about certain subjects:

Best of all, as the two of you argued, I learned some things.

That's really what it's all about. There are always people reading who may not contribute, but are paying very close attention to the subject. There is a goldmine of information here for people who may not have known this stuff beforehand, even in the midst of the "you're an idjit who just likes to argue to death" nonsense. I don't care at all about the opponent...I care about the audience.

Nothing is more important than the truth. Certainly not any need to "win an argument" or "be right." It's the internet, for God's sake. No one should be seeking validation through it.

(thumbs u

It also looks like I'm pretty much guaranteed a happy ending as all three bidders I'm in contact with seem to want to go through with the purchase once sure of my bonafides.

Why are you negotiating with three people at the same time to buy the book? Personally I'd exhaust one avenue and then move onto the next, this way can only lead to more disgruntled 'buyers' who are left disillusioned.

I'l give him that...he put up a good fight. ;)

Needs more blindly-applied references to us all being overweight fanboys. :flamed:

How is there no protection over $1g..i'm confused?

I've had several,over the last couple of years,large transactions that were fully protected thru my Paypal payment once they changed the policy to cover "Full purchase price"...talking thousands of dollars..way over $1g.

Since I've ignored E-Bay entirely for a few years now, I don't know, but I'll look into it. If anyone else knows more detail about this, please reinforce krypto's statement with what you know. If it turns out the total amount of a buy like this Spidey #1 would have been covered, I won't just be surprised, I'll be shocked. It's not because I think E-Bay is evil, it's because I understand the challenge of insuring purchases like this...the opportunities for people to try defrauding E-Bay over large purchases on a regular basis would multiply if they insured full purchase costs. If they're doing it now, then I'm highly curious as to how that makes sense for them financially, because it makes sense as to why they weren't insuring buys in the past--it's AWFULLY ambitious to insure person-to-person transactions with no escrow or without consignment being involved.

In fact, if E-Bay is insuring full purchase costs for auctions, I'm now not seeing much reason for ComicLink and Pedigree to be a preferred venue. hm

OK, I looked into this a bit more...it's all coming back to me now. Yes, PayPal does say they cover a buyer's full purchase price if they find a seller to be at fault, which is nice. However, the chances for fraud with PayPal declining to pay are rampant. A seller can ship a buyer an empty box, or exploit one of the other foolproof ways sellers can hose buyers. Buyer received package, seller shipped with confirmation proof, end of story. Sorry, you're screwed, and PayPal will not refund your cost. If the seller has tried something less crafty and PayPal can cover your cost by taking your money back from the seller, they will, but if they can't, past experience tells me PayPal will take any and every escape they can to make sure any restitution doesn't come out of their pockets. Again, if anyone has found that they've gotten less slippery about this of late, please post your experiences.

So I shouldn't just say that you're completely unprotected in buying large items on E-Bay. You're protected in buying large items on E-Bay if something semi-normal happens and the seller isn't experienced with E-Bay fraud...but if they want to screw you...they will. Same goes for the danger to sellers--buyers have a myriad of options for receiving a book and screwing the seller out of their payment. The person-to-person shipping model for expensive stuff is just RIPE for fraud. I've been avoiding this model for years on big books, and although the rules have changed, the game remains the same from what I can tell.

With a large purchase like this, the best way to avoid the "empty box" problem is to simply pick it up at the post office and open it in front of a PO witness, take pictures. I honestly have not heard of very many of these problems, although I'm SURE there are some, just like WE have a probation thread here. No place is safe, you have to use common sense.

However, there is another option on eBay, escrow. You do have to pay a fee and you can't use a credit card over $5k, but fees are sometimes the cost of doing business.

eBay pays tremendous advertising fees, that's how we all find each other, and that was why I thought perhaps they deserved a few cents. This wasn't a transaction where someone bought a book and said "hey, so you have anything else"? It was this transaction on this book that caused people to find each other.

I would probably look at it differently if it was a boarder who knew the seller already and just happened to see a link here that the seller posted.

BTW,this is a remarkable dialog/event for me as, not only am I new to the boards; This is actually the first time I have engaged in ANY thread! Like texting, I drew the line, but this is very helpful stuff! Many thanks to all....

Regarding a CC on file; I actually have SEVERAL cards on file

& have always used them in preference to PP instant transfer. I had one miserable experience with a lesser value ASM#18 shipped in place of a 9.0. where I, reported to FBI Internet Fraud,etc.

PAYPAL WAS USELESS,they offered no help, whereas my CC shined coming to bat. An investigation was begun.

I lucked out,though,as the seller was being scammed by an underling she employed. I had all but given up; She [ bless her! ] was a very ethical Lady & I received a check out of the blue!

That experience was the clincher, but I have had a few other encounters where

PP appeared to side with the seller. That FinalValueFee rules, I reckon...

That being said, this gives more credence to the GLITCH THEORY,yes?

FAIL! Unlike him, you're funny and can laugh at yourself.

Here's that 'bear with me stuff' I warned you about; what is the specific problem implied

by doing a 'person to person' transaction? [screaming newbie, right?].

The lack of escrow? Involving a credit card adds the 3rd person,yes?

I mean, if one makes a personal payment with PAYPAL as , say a 'gift' but

finances that using one's personal CC, doesn't that cover one's keester?

Here's that 'bear with me stuff' I warned you about; what is the specific problem implied

by doing a 'person to person' transaction? [screaming newbie, right?].

The lack of escrow? Involving a credit card adds the 3rd person,yes?

I mean, if one makes a personal payment with PAYPAL as , say a 'gift' but

finances that using one's personal CC, doesn't that cover one's keester?

It may, through your CC coverage, but if you use a CC to fund a personal payment the 3% fee is added, with the option of the sender or receiver to pay the fee. Kind of defeats the purpose of using the personal option to me.