• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy 15 Art Viewing - Sign Up Here!

54 posts in this topic

Wow, Steve. This is really a great opportunity that you're organizing. I wish I could be there but I'll just have come back from some vacay with the family. Good luck and remember....

ttiwwp.gif

so take lots of pictures.

Wow, Steve. This is really a great opportunity that you're organizing. I wish I could be there but I'll just have come back from some vacay with the family. Good luck and remember....

ttiwwp.gif

(thumbs u

I have something to send you. I got it weeks ago, but forgot to mail it. :tonofbricks:

BTW, you forgot Ralph Houk in your sig line. :(

ttiwwp.gif

(thumbs u

I have something to send you. I got it weeks ago, but forgot to mail it. :tonofbricks:

BTW, you forgot Ralph Houk in your sig line. :(

Absolutely right about Ralph Houk - his passing didn't quite get the press it deserved. WS winning manager for the '61 and '62 Yankees. I wonder how he felt managing the Red Sox in the early '80s.

So I learned a lot of things during this. One was I need to learn how to use my camera. I had a bunch of blurry pics.. but here it goes

It was a wonderful morning in DC. This was taken at the main building for the Library of Congress. This is not the correct building. Mark Zaid was able to invite John Snyder III and Matt Wagner who were in for the Baltimore Con.

DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg

Once we got turned in the right direction we found our way to the proper room.

DSC_0580.jpg

DSC_0585.jpg

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0597.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg

We were able to see all of the pages from AF 15 including the Living Mummy and Martians Among Us stories.

After the viewing we went down stairs to the Serials department where the curator showed us a sample of the Library of Congress's comic book collection. They had examples of both regular comics as well as bound comics.

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

One of the neatest items they showed us was a volume of the New York Journal from the 1800's. They sent the pages of the newspaper to a company in Germany that has a method of separating the front and back of the newspaper and slides in a sheet of paper in between. The colors that were still there were great!

DSC_0619.jpg

All the comics go through a de-acidification process and it is really a research collection. Most of my pics from here were blurry. They pulled out a few first appearances and number ones. Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Green Lantern, Captain America (Bound in a Volume). And even some Modern books that were out there. The Detective Comics #1 that I was able to get a good pic of was mostly donated to the Library.

This was a great event. I think everyone that was able to go enjoyed themselves. Having the artists there was great as they were able to point out different techniques that were used and show how Ditko was still working on the style of Spider-Man as the book progressed.

Both curators of the Art and Comics were knowledgeable in a lot of the comics and felt that they did have a love for comics and art in general.

I know we did this as a CBCA sponsored event but anyone is able to go see these. Going through the Ask a Librarian feature through the website will get you exactly where you need to go.

Again it was a great time and I had a blast.

how easy is it to set up a viewing of these OA pieces?

I hated I missed this, but I would like to go once I make it to DC.

hm

It was very easy the LoC staff is more than happy to show of their art and comics. If you go to www.loc.gov and use the Ask a Librarian feature you can set it up through them.

how easy is it to set up a viewing of these OA pieces?

I hated I missed this, but I would like to go once I make it to DC.

hm

It was very easy the LoC staff is more than happy to show of their art and comics. If you go to www.loc.gov and use the Ask a Librarian feature you can set it up through them.

thanks

(thumbs u

I wonder if the people that work there have any idea of how much these items are

worth? I mean the front splash page alone would be worth what 500k– maybe I Million???

hm

They definitely know. (thumbs u

But keep in mind there are quite a number of items in the Library that far exceed that value were they to ever appear on the open market. :gossip: