• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned And Pressed By Matt Nelson

70 posts in this topic

Wow. Looks like almost everyone of Matt's books has been cleaned and pressed. There is another thread about the Hulk 181 going from CGC 8.5 to CGC 9.2. Here is another one I think:

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=13122&Lot_No=17044&zoom=1&sid=8E5C80698E1E8EE1494F659B2C94D58A

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2227317636&category=32739&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

The ASM #19 doesn't look like it had anything done to it. It was a borderline 9.2/9.4 in the first place, so it's not surprising that it got a 9.4 on the re-sub.

Wow. Looks like almost everyone of Matt's books has been cleaned and pressed. There is another thread about the Hulk 181 going from CGC 8.5 to CGC 9.2. Here is another one I think:

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=13122&Lot_No=17044&zoom=1&sid=8E5C80698E1E8EE1494F659B2C94D58A

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2227317636&category=32739&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

My question to everyone is: does it affect the way you value your comic if you later find out it has been cleaned and pressed?

Yes, I don't want a book that has been tampered with. I don't care if it's not considered restoration, I don't want it. mad.gif

Where is his fat buddy the Pillberry Doughboy?

I heard he "roll"ed over b/c of a severe yeast infection!! 27_laughing.gif

"Wonder"-man wasn't like this when I was a kid!! Great stuff 'hook...

You might be right. The CGC 9.4 back upper left corner actually looks worse. My question to everyone is: does it affect the way you value your comic if you later find out it has been cleaned and pressed?

nope - don't personally consider it restoration. still, none of my books have been "touched"........... cool.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might be right. The CGC 9.4 back upper left corner actually looks worse. My question to everyone is: does it affect the way you value your comic if you later find out it has been cleaned and pressed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nope - don't personally consider it restoration. still, none of my books have been "touched"...........

NOPE!!!!

Also regarding Matt having an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE (JC compared it to insider trading), there is NO GUARANTEE that the book will get a high grade from CGC.

That's the difference.

We could all call CGC everytime we saw a book on eBay or Heritage and ask for the graders notes, and try to find out if the book is a good resubmit candidate (with or without pressing). But most of us (including myself) have other things to do with out time.

IN MY OPINION:

CGC will NEVER imprint invisible codes on the books. Just forget about it. So there will always be resubmits.

I thought that Steve Borock said that it (the invisible UV ink code) was an interesting idea in a previous thread? Or did I dream that? cloud9.gif

Quote:

nope - don't personally consider it restoration. still, none of my books have been "touched"...........

NOPE!!!!

Also regarding Matt having an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE (JC compared it to insider trading), there is NO GUARANTEE that the book will get a high grade from CGC.

That's the difference.

We could all call CGC everytime we saw a book on eBay or Heritage and ask for the graders notes, and try to find out if the book is a good resubmit candidate (with or without pressing). But most of us (including myself) have other things to do with out time.

IN MY OPINION:

CGC will NEVER imprint invisible codes on the books. Just forget about it. So there will always be resubmits.

New to the boards here, but a casual reader from time to time.

HOw can anyone defend this behavior? It's completely unethical and thoroughly undermines CGC's position that their grading is arbitrary. Doesn't Matt Nelson WORK for Heritage??????????????

And how can cleaning and pressing not count? NOT RESTORATION???? What a lame excuse....this is absurd and seems rampant...CGC might want to take a good look at their business policies and perhaps some of the people involved in this company need to recuse themselves...need to step away. I, for one, have used CGC and been fairly satisfied with their service, but these glaring biases are very disturbing.

I guess my books would have graded higher had I cleaned and pressed them first. Although I then run the risk of the PURPLE LABEL.

WTF?

Remember:

1) YOU could always travel to Heritage's office to view the books.

2) YOU could always learn the art of comic preservation / restoration and understand from trail and error, what is acceptable to get a blue label and what is not acceptable.

You really think these are the ONLY advantages Heritage employes have over everyone else? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I thought that Steve Borock said that it (the invisible UV ink code) was an interesting idea in a previous thread? Or did I dream that? cloud9.gif

Since I proposed the idea originally, I doubt that it was warmly received by anyone at CGC 27_laughing.gif

But here's another idea, akin to something proposed earlier in this thread ("comic book DNA" ?):

Modify some facial-recognition / optical character recognition software to work with comic book covers. There are far fewer comic book covers than individual faces, and comic book covers are much more distinctive, one from another, than human faces. I think you could create an application that would allow you to scan each book upon arrival, then cross-reference it with *just the other images matching the same comic book 'name' (title + issue #)*. If any really close matches came up, the original scan could be retrieved and compared to the 'new arrival.' (Along with the graders' notes, which would likely be invaluable in many cases.)

No need to alter the book in any way, as is the case in the "UV serial #" idea.

Whaddaya think?

I think if you trimmed and cleaned the book, the software wouldn't work.

Since I proposed the idea originally, I doubt that it was warmly received by anyone at CGC 27_laughing.gif

But here's another idea, akin to something proposed earlier in this thread ("comic book DNA" ?):

Modify some facial-recognition / optical character recognition software to work with comic book covers. There are far fewer comic book covers than individual faces, and comic book covers are much more distinctive, one from another, than human faces. I think you could create an application that would allow you to scan each book upon arrival, then cross-reference it with *just the other images matching the same comic book 'name' (title + issue #)*. If any really close matches came up, the original scan could be retrieved and compared to the 'new arrival.' (Along with the graders' notes, which would likely be invaluable in many cases.)

Whaddaya think?

Whaddaya think?

I recently spoke with a few guys at CGC on the phone, when I called to discuss a few things about a couple comics I got back from them.

They were very nice and I actually did say something to the effect of what you are said in your post above, about recognition software, or a FBI type of fingerprint database etc...

And he laughed a big belly laugh. and said.. you are giving CGC waayyy to much credit. We are not as high tech as you might think."

While this statment did dissapointed me, I can understand now that all the things I would like CGC to implement, like comic cover data base, or dna type fingerprint, these all cost money, and manpower, and I am sure as in all business's , neither are thrown about lightly.So perhaps one day we will see new measures taken by CGC to protect our precious little comics, I bet though at the very least they are very, very aware of whats been going on with the clean press phenom, and will take what measures they see fit to protect their name.

Zeman