• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Having picked up a Deathmate Blue - Gold Edition in a big box of comics someone let me have really cheap (plenty of other stuff in there, nothing earth shattering) and seeing what it sells for on ebay (less than cover) and its 5,000 copy print-run, ot of curiosity, what was that one and the other Deathmate Golds going for at the height of the insantity in 1993?

Just got this in today...

46310_139177392795188_100001087832702_208734_5118571_n.jpg

"I am a container of gin-fueled rage!!!!!"

I have the "Special White Ink 2d Printing". OPG says that is worthless, but I can't find anything close to the 2d printing on ebay. Is it basically worthless (other than for a humorous read?)

I know this isn't really the thread to ask, but it's a HTF book (sort of), what does a 1st print of the Antarctic Strangers in Paradise 2 tend to go for, let's say in 9.2 or so (unslabbed)? No history on ebay now, just someone trying to sell a VG for $23 (way over guide).

Having picked up a Deathmate Blue - Gold Edition in a big box of comics someone let me have really cheap (plenty of other stuff in there, nothing earth shattering) and seeing what it sells for on ebay (less than cover) and its 5,000 copy print-run, ot of curiosity, what was that one and the other Deathmate Golds going for at the height of the insantity in 1993?

I don't think they ever got super-high prices, other than Deathmate Black with the 1st appearance of Gen13.

Maybe $50-$60 at its height, with a few higher sales.

Thanks, I figured as much. I guess people really were not as exasperated about "rarity" back then, particularly if it was just a variant, etc. Well, if I get the opportunity to pick up more of the golds for 25 cents I'll probably go for it even if they aren't selling for much more than that right now.

Thanks, I figured as much. I guess people really were not as exasperated about "rarity" back then, particularly if it was just a variant, etc. Well, if I get the opportunity to pick up more of the golds for 25 cents I'll probably go for it even if they aren't selling for much more than that right now.

I doubt if the print run on the Deathmate Gold editions was 5,000... they were both Valiant and Image products,

so they were probably at least 5,000 for each company... so a minimum of 10,000.

I know this isn't really the thread to ask, but it's a HTF book (sort of), what does a 1st print of the Antarctic Strangers in Paradise 2 tend to go for, let's say in 9.2 or so (unslabbed)? No history on ebay now, just someone trying to sell a VG for $23 (way over guide).

I'd say around $30 for a 9.2 unslabbed.

Just got this in today...

46310_139177392795188_100001087832702_208734_5118571_n.jpg

"I am a container of gin-fueled rage!!!!!"

I have the "Special White Ink 2d Printing". OPG says that is worthless, but I can't find anything close to the 2d printing on ebay. Is it basically worthless (other than for a humorous read?)

It's probably not not worthless to a Milk and Cheese fan, just have to wait until someone comes along looking though.

I doubt if the print run on the Deathmate Gold editions was 5,000... they were both Valiant and Image products,

so they were probably at least 5,000 for each company... so a minimum of 10,000.

Yeah I got a Deathmate Black gold edition for dirt cheap too. Don't count on it ever being worth anything.

i thought i got the 5,000 estimate off your website...so any # there should be doubled to account for each company?

i thought i got the 5,000 estimate off your website...so any # there should be doubled to account for each company?

:eek:

I was waiting for that, as I go to Valiantfans.com as well for print run information.

I thought the Deathmate golds were distributed in a 1:50 ratio. So theoretically the Deathmate: Red and Epilogue would be rarest since they were so delayed that retailers had cut their orders in the interim.

Prologue had a ridiculous print run by comparison because it was ordered before the crash and before all of the Image-related Deathmate delays. Not that it matters now.

I thought the Deathmate golds were distributed in a 1:50 ratio. So theoretically the Deathmate: Red and Epilogue would be rarest since they were so delayed that retailers had cut their orders in the interim.

Prologue had a ridiculous print run by comparison because it was ordered before the crash and before all of the Image-related Deathmate delays. Not that it matters now.

In 2001, when I lived in Tennessee, I was picking the Deathmate golds up at comic shops around the Knoxville-Morristown-Sevierville areas for 25-50 cents each -- and I have bunches of them. At one time, I think I had a shortbox nearly full of Valiant golds I picked up there. All except for the Deathmate Red and I have NEVER seen a copy for sale in a shop. Heck, I even found Magnus Robot Fighter 0s with the coupon for 50 cents each and still never saw a Deathmate Red gold.

As we discuss these gold editions, it reminds me that one of the hardest to find foil covers was the Topps Kirbyverse promo that had a silver cover and a red foil cover. Can't remember the name, but I saw those two variant covers when I was living in Tennessee and I didn't pick either of them up and regretted it soon after I left the store. I had been talking about how I'd never found those before and another guy in the store picked them out after I left. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut ...

Heck, I even found Magnus Robot Fighter 0s with the coupon for 50 cents each

It was a card that went along with the early issue attached cards - not a coupon like the Harbinger early issues.

One of my favorite Valiant books, and what a cover!

MagnusValiant0.jpg

Hmmm... hm

Looks like my references show that the Deathmate books that were put out by Valiant most likely had Gold editions at 5,000....

while the Deathmate books that were put out by Image most likely had Gold editions at 10,000.

Deathmate Blue and Yellow were put out by Valiant (and, not surprisingly, on time).

Deathmate Black and Red were put out by Image (and, not surprisingly, very very late).

:grin: