• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Predator Vs Magnus TPB

Not a gold/platinum/signed limited edition. Just apparently had few orders and very few were printed. :ohnoez:

(worship):applause:

Story is that it was printed for the overseas market, which makes sense given that you could buy the two issue mini anywhere for under $1 when it was printed. Valiantman's estimate on this is 5,000 copies, but it's a guess.

Here's mine:

PredatorvsMagnusTPBCGC98.jpg

I found and bought a copy that's at least a 9.6 from a dollar box three weeks ago at a local flea market. The guy said he had just put it in the box when I walked up. He said he bought a bunch of books and put them into the boxes. I had been looking for an affordable copy for a long time and was pleasantly surprised that this would turn up in a DOLLAR box.

What about the TPB of this as well. I never see it for sale and when I do it pulls some cash?

lol thats what I get for not looking closely at the pic. Just thought it was the regular edition. :tonofbricks:

I have several of those full holographic covers from Ultraverse and I don't think the 3-D aspect will survive. I mean these holograms are fading or diminishing over a shorter period of time than I expected. Will they continue to go all silvery and lose their 3-D thing? Probably. And sooner than you think, I'll bet. Perhaps the technology of the time couldn't test how long they would last. Perhaps the publishers used the least expensive technology at the time. Maybe that's why they're turning into silver foil covers.

Dude I sooo wanted those in college, but they were $70 at one time. Now I pick them up for $5 a piece when I can. I still love them what a neat idea at the time. I bet they drive high end collectors nuts looking for perfect copies they show everything.

My best guess...which isn't too shabby,. as far as variants are concerned...are that it was printed as part of Marvel's 1994 reprint program. As mentioned before, it's from 1994, 3 years after the original came out. But what it was printed especially for, I don't know. It couldn't have been utterly random.

So you thinks its an undiscovered part of the JCPenny collection reprints from the mid 90s? It would be neat to discover another one, but man never seen that book ever. I have bought and sold alot of Stridex books, but never seen that one neat find.

Anyone know the estimated print run of Howard the Duck #33 which came out in the 1986? Low print run according to Overstreet!

More than 100k.

Didn't a 9.8 of that just go $250 or something on eBay?

There are only 2 #33 9.8 and neither were for sale on ebay. Doc Joe got his from Reynold Jay and the other went to a private sale to a guy in Britain.

Anyone know the estimated print run of Howard the Duck #33 which came out in the 1986? Low print run according to Overstreet!

More than 100k.

There are only 2 #33 9.8 and neither were for sale on ebay. Doc Joe got his from Reynold Jay and the other went to a private sale to a guy in Britain.

I thought Top Notch was the one that auctioned off the last copy on Ebay? Someone posted that in the registry section, I believe.

More than 100k.

I thought Top Notch was the one that auctioned off the last copy on Ebay? Someone posted that in the registry section, I believe.

It was the #25 that top notch sold for a wicked price. I needed it (at the time) but wasn't going to pay that much.

More than 100k.

Incorrecto. Top Notch sold one last month for $332 on eBay. I think I even started a thread about it. Sale is in GPA.

More than 100k.

Incorrecto. Top Notch sold one last month for $332 on eBay. I think I even started a thread about it. Sale is in GPA.

(thumbs u

I have several of those full holographic covers from Ultraverse and I don't think the 3-D aspect will survive. I mean these holograms are fading or diminishing over a shorter period of time than I expected. Will they continue to go all silvery and lose their 3-D thing? Probably. And sooner than you think, I'll bet. Perhaps the technology of the time couldn't test how long they would last. Perhaps the publishers used the least expensive technology at the time. Maybe that's why they're turning into silver foil covers.

Dude I sooo wanted those in college, but they were $70 at one time. Now I pick them up for $5 a piece when I can. I still love them what a neat idea at the time. I bet they drive high end collectors nuts looking for perfect copies they show everything.

I have a Strangers 1 hologram cover with a double cover I bought from a guy for 25 cents and had graded. It graded at CGC 9.8.

My best guess...which isn't too shabby,. as far as variants are concerned...are that it was printed as part of Marvel's 1994 reprint program. As mentioned before, it's from 1994, 3 years after the original came out. But what it was printed especially for, I don't know. It couldn't have been utterly random.

So you thinks its an undiscovered part of the JCPenny collection reprints from the mid 90s? It would be neat to discover another one, but man never seen that book ever. I have bought and sold alot of Stridex books, but never seen that one neat find.

I bought the JCPenney collection when it was sold in the Christmas catalog back in the early 1990s and my set is still complete and there isn't a Hulk 377 in it.

I have a Strangers 1 hologram cover with a double cover I bought from a guy for 25 cents and had graded. It graded at CGC 9.8.

I worship the ground you walk on. (worship)

I bought the JCPenney collection when it was sold in the Christmas catalog back in the early 1990s and my set is still complete and there isn't a Hulk 377 in it.

Personally I have had every copy for the set at one time or another, but never at once. It was a fun set to chase. The Ghost Rider and X-men issues are always tough to find due to demand. I sold quite a few to SAs & Bronze Lovers who want to display that copy and store away there high grade originals.

Actually, how tough is the signed Prime Time hardcover reprinting the first four issues of Prime? I'm sure there were only about 500 copies printed of this one, because it cost, like, $50 when it was released and that was a hefty price tag back then.

Edited by Scott Goodman

Actually, how tough is the signed Prime Time hardcover reprinting the first four issues of Prime? I'm sure there were only about 500 copies printed of this one, because it cost, like, $50 when it was released and that was a hefty price tag back then.

There are a few copies of the trade paperback on eBay for as cheap as $7.99, which is a great buy for that terrific storyline. But, I can't remember seeing one of the signed hardcovers on eBay in a long, long time. I bought my NM+ copy back in 2003 in a small comic shop in Morristown, Tenn., back in 2005 for $5. I haven't seen one anywhere since.

Going along with the Hulk 377. I found this at the local Goodwill. 2nd printing of CA 282. I am assuming it was released during the launch of the Nomad series.

Not sure how hard it is to find, but it flew under my radar until I saw it.

scan0003-12.jpg

Which books are in the set?

here is some hard work compiled by metarog. All known issues are pictured

JCPenny / stridex books

here is some hard work compiled by metarog. All known issues are pictured

JCPenny / stridex books

I'm going to have to check some of my comics. I think I might have gotten the 1992 set. My grandma always bought those comics packages through catalogs and at Costco. I always wondered why I had certain issues of certain comics I never really collected, or why I had so many multiples of Silver Surfer #33 :)

Going along with the Hulk 377. I found this at the local Goodwill. 2nd printing of CA 282. I am assuming it was released during the launch of the Nomad series.

Not sure how hard it is to find, but it flew under my radar until I saw it.

scan0003-12.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, that one isn't that rare, although I haven't seen one for sale in any of the stores I frequent for a long time ...