• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Great info, mschmidt!

It is great info. I wonder what it was like collecting during the bad girl boom and the big crash. I was out from late '92 until late '97. Not a long time, but a heck of a lot went down.

Here's more info on the Omega editions (limited to 1) from Chaos http://theaerie.www2.50megs.com/chastity/omega.html

There are So far there have been 8 Omega Edition Contests (5 comics, 1 action figure, 1 statue and 1 for collectable cards):

Chastity: Theater of Pain #1

Evil Ernie vs. The Movie Monsters (One Shot)

Homicide: Tears of the Dead (One Shot)

Suspira: The Great Working #1

Purgatori: The Dracula Gambit (One Shot)

Lady Death Omega Resin Prototype (Action Figure)

Evil Ernie Omega Cold Cast Statue (Extra Details and Emerald Inlay Logo)

"Cast of Chaos" Collector Cards Box (Handmade box w/ original art on the box itself and a original Jim Balent piece inside)

i-1.JPG

i-2.JPG

i-3.JPG

Here's some info on the Octagon editions from Chaos http://www.cesnur.org/2008/vampire_comics.htm

Evil Ernie Monthly

no. 1b Octagon edition. Limited to 8 copies.

Evil Ernie: Straight to Hell

no. 1b Octagon edition. Limited to 8 copies, each with an original drawing.

Purgatori

no. 1b Octagon edition with original sketch by Al Rio. Limited to 8 copies.

Purgatori: The Vampire’s Myth

no. 1d Octagon edition. Limited to 8 copies with individual sketch by Jim Balent.

Here's some info on the Octagon editions from Chaos http://www.cesnur.org/2008/vampire_comics.htm

Evil Ernie Monthly

no. 1b Octagon edition. Limited to 8 copies.

Evil Ernie: Straight to Hell

no. 1b Octagon edition. Limited to 8 copies, each with an original drawing.

Purgatori

no. 1b Octagon edition with original sketch by Al Rio. Limited to 8 copies.

Purgatori: The Vampire’s Myth

no. 1d Octagon edition. Limited to 8 copies with individual sketch by Jim Balent.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

There are also Octagon editions of Evil Ernie: The Resurrection #1, Evil Ernie Returns #1, Lady Death: Dragon Wars, Lady Death/Chastity: Bad Kitty, and several other Chastity books (can't remember those off-hand).

Hah...half-right.

That 1993 show I picked up Magnus 6 (x 4), Magnus 9 (x 3), Magnus 10, Magnus 13, Magnus 14 (x 4) and Shadowman 3 from the dollar boxes, as well as a Solar 10 (1st) for $4. So...aside from Solar 10, they weren't actually _good_ pre-Unities, but they were there.

This was post Rai 9 and Turok 1, and everybody wanted Ultraverse, not Valiant. ...

Sorry, but this just isn't true.

Turok #1 came out in May, 1993, and Valiant could not have been hotter. That heat continued throughout the summer. It hit a brick wall in the fall, but that doesn't mean prices dropped from the stratosphere instantly. If you picked out those books from "dollar boxes" in 1993, you were incredibly, incredibly lucky.

In fact, the very reason Ultraverse was so hot was BECAUSE Valiant was...speculators were hoping for a repeat. The Image boat had sailed because of their epic inability to put out any books on time.

1993 was all about these things: Knightfall, Fall From Grace, Valiant, and Ultraverse.

anything is possible. occasionally you hit a dealer who just isn't paying attention OR has just made a bulk purchase and assumes it is mostly low value stuff and just tosses it out there cheap.

if we're talking about the same philly wizard show there were dealers selling turok 1, magnus 25 (gimmick cover) and a lot of those post-unity valiants for 25 cents with stacks and stacks of them. you'd have to think that seeing that would kill a lot of collectors' interest in the slightly earlier stuff (I wasn't looking for or had any interest in valiants or any other moderns at that particular show or 1993 generally (other than some reading material), I was strictly GA, SA and some BA other than a couple of books i bought for fun directly from the creators who had tables)

Edited by the blob

No one was selling ANYTHING Valiant for 25 cents in 1993.

Please, let's not re-write history. Valiant was the single hottest thing on the planet, ESPECIALLY from January to July-ish. Yes, demand died in the Fall....but the books didn't go from $50 to quarter books overnight. There wasn't a month that went by that Valiant wasn't pimped excessively by Wizard, and that was the year Wizard had its most influence on the entire industry.

Even the most radically overprinted books...Turok #1 the radicalest...were popular.

Turok #1 DID "sell out" across the nation, after all....it just sold out to speculators waiting for it to be the next Bloodshot #1.

compostable_fertilizer.

I was _there_, RMA. I have the Pre-Unities--bought at the prices I stated, and I have the additional ComicFest '93 swag (like 3 copies of Defiant Genesis in the original sleeves and a double-signed Platinum Batman 492) to prove it.

Depending on which dealer table you went to, and what time during the show (ie, whether it was Friday evening vs. Sunday afternoon), the deals were there to be had. _Everybody_ had Valiants in depth, and while certain books (like Harbinger 0) were still white hot and were selling at their peak, others were being dumped. And yeah--Turok # 1 was _already_ selling for between $.25-$1, just weeks after release. Rai 6-8. Magnus 9-11, 13-14 were available in bulk for $1 each.

Meanwhile, the three premiere Ultraverse # 1s (Prime, Strangers, and Hardcase) were selling for $5-8, with # 2s going for more. Those books were actually _selling_ at those prices, whereas the Valiants sat (unless _heavily_ discounted).

Anyone else who attended ComicFest '93 in Philly care to chime in?

compostable_fertilizer.

I was _there_, RMA. I have the Pre-Unities--bought at the prices I stated, and I have the additional ComicFest '93 swag (like 3 copies of Defiant Genesis in the original sleeves and a double-signed Platinum Batman 492) to prove it.

Depending on which dealer table you went to, and what time during the show (ie, whether it was Friday evening vs. Sunday afternoon), the deals were there to be had. _Everybody_ had Valiants in depth, and while certain books (like Harbinger 0) were still white hot and were selling at their peak, others were being dumped. And yeah--Turok # 1 was _already_ selling for between $.25-$1, just weeks after release. Rai 6-8. Magnus 9-11, 13-14 were available in bulk for $1 each.

Meanwhile, the three premiere Ultraverse # 1s (Prime, Strangers, and Hardcase) were selling for $5-8, with # 2s going for more. Those books were actually _selling_ at those prices, whereas the Valiants sat (unless _heavily_ discounted).

I attended ComicFest in '93 in Philly and if there was a box of Valiant's for a quarter each I must of been so blind that I complete missed it because in 93 Valiant was super hot. I was completely into Valiant at that time and I scoured every comic table with no luck. Everyone there was selling pre-Unity books for $25 and up. Issue 1's were going well over $100. As a Sophomore in high school I couldn't afford anything at those prices.

I'm not saying those books weren't there for that price but they didn't last to long at all. Maybe you meant 94' or 95'?

compostable_fertilizer.

I attended ComicFest in '93 in Philly and if there was a box of Valiant's for a quarter each I must of been so blind that I complete missed it because in 93 Valiant was super hot. I was completely into Valiant at that time and I scoured every comic table with no luck. Everyone there was selling pre-Unity books for $25 and up. Issue 1's were going well over $100. As a Sophomore in high school I couldn't afford anything at those prices.

I'm not saying those books weren't there for that price but they didn't last to long at all. Maybe you meant 94' or 95'?

I agree. I was not at Comicfest in '93 but I was set up at the Javitz in NYC in '93. While things were on the decline with new stuff, and pre-unity had cooled, finding Valiants at $0.50 wasn't happening.

compostable_fertilizer.

I was _there_, RMA.

So_was_I, Gatsby. And I worked for a DISTRIBUTOR at the time.

I have the Pre-Unities--bought at the prices I stated, and I have the additional ComicFest '93 swag (like 3 copies of Defiant Genesis in the original sleeves and a double-signed Platinum Batman 492) to prove it.

Okey dokey. If you want to believe that, more power to ya. Everything in the printed literature of the day, plus my own experience, plus the experience of many people here, says otherwise, but if you think what you remember is true, well, there ya go.

I will...as ever...point out the fallacy of your statement: the comics...unless you have a receipt...proves nothing. It doesn't prove where you bought them, it doesn't prove when, and it doesn't prove how much.

And no, you're sadly mistaken. Turok #1 was not "selling for between 25c-$1 just weeks after release." Unless, of course, you mean 30-40 weeks.

If you really wish to believe that "Valiants just sat unless heavily discounted" at any point in 1993....well, you're deluded. You don't understand the market, you're ignoring all the data, and your recollections are flawed. More power to ya!

(thumbs u

compostable_fertilizer.

(thumbs u

1994 and 1995 would make much, much more sense. I like to think of Ninjak #1 (November, 1993 release) as "the end of the end." It was the very last Valiant #1 book that anyone cared about, and it was still printed at half a million copies. Things declined realllllly fast after that, but not in 1993.

compostable_fertilizer.

I was _there_, RMA.

So_was_I, Gatsby. And I worked for a DISTRIBUTOR at the time.

I have the Pre-Unities--bought at the prices I stated, and I have the additional ComicFest '93 swag (like 3 copies of Defiant Genesis in the original sleeves and a double-signed Platinum Batman 492) to prove it.

Okey dokey. If you want to believe that, more power to ya. Everything in the printed literature of the day, plus my own experience, plus the experience of many people here, says otherwise, but if you think what you remember is true, well, there ya go.

I will...as ever...point out the fallacy of your statement: the comics...unless you have a receipt...proves nothing. It doesn't prove where you bought them, it doesn't prove when, and it doesn't prove how much.

And no, you're sadly mistaken. Turok #1 was not "selling for between 25c-$1 just weeks after release." Unless, of course, you mean 30-40 weeks.

If you really wish to believe that "Valiants just sat unless heavily discounted" at any point in 1993....well, you're deluded. You don't understand the market, you're ignoring all the data, and your recollections are flawed. More power to ya!

(thumbs u

There's no doubt, in 1993, Valiant was still a viable seller and nobody was moving it then at the bargain basement prices. mid to late 1994, and most certainly 95 and 96, different story.

As RMA points out, it's fact. Even if your individual experience was different.

Changing the overused subject a bit.

What about Jason vs Leatherface from Topps Comics in 1995. Anyone ever find any print run information on the book. I know its not as popular as it once was, but horror fans still crave it. I couldnt never find out the print run, but it cant be too just high because it was Topps to begin with.

Changing the overused subject a bit.

What about Jason vs Leatherface from Topps Comics in 1995. Anyone ever find any print run information on the book. I know its not as popular as it once was, but horror fans still crave it. I couldnt never find out the print run, but it cant be too just high because it was Topps to begin with.

Jason vs. Leatherface #3 was about 10,000 copies.

It's likely that #1 and #2 were slightly higher.

what about the conan mini series's that marvel put out in the 90's dark age? ive onl seen them for sale once on the boards. rare, or no interest?

I got several of those from the same guy who sold me the Predator vs. Magnus trade paperback for a buck. Those were a buck each, too. (actually, although he was asking $1 each for them, I got them all -- the trade paperback included -- in a group for a little less than 80 cents each)

But, I never, ever see those for sale at any of the shops I frequent. It's only when someone brings in their 1990s collection to a shop and I'm there when it comes in do I ever run across any of these Conan miniseries.

Edited by Scott Goodman