• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Anyone know the estimated print run of Howard the Duck #33 which came out in the 1986? Low print run according to Overstreet!

More than 100k.

Didn't a 9.8 of that just go $250 or something on eBay?

There are only 2 #33 9.8 and neither were for sale on ebay. Doc Joe got his from Reynold Jay and the other went to a private sale to a guy in Britain.

Incorrecto. Top Notch sold one last month for $332 on eBay. I think I even started a thread about it. Sale is in GPA.

yep the 33 and 25 are now paired up side by side in a private collection

Anyone know the estimated print run of Howard the Duck #33 which came out in the 1986? Low print run according to Overstreet!

More than 100k.

Didn't a 9.8 of that just go $250 or something on eBay?

There are only 2 #33 9.8 and neither were for sale on ebay. Doc Joe got his from Reynold Jay and the other went to a private sale to a guy in Britain.

Incorrecto. Top Notch sold one last month for $332 on eBay. I think I even started a thread about it. Sale is in GPA.

yep the 33 and 25 are now paired up side by side in a private collection

Oh, the horror! :o I've been found out to be wrong. Too cheap to buy the #33 and too cheap to buy GPA. Thanks for the correction. Nice sales!

The Predator vs. Magnus TPB is damn hard to find. Five copies in the census with a single 9.8 that sold for $405 in Sept '09.

The Preacher Preview only has thirteen copies on the census and GPA for a 9.8 is $441 (Nov '08) and $95 for a 9.6 May '10. I came across two copies this last year completely by accident. :)

If anyone else has more info about those Ultraverse hologram covers, I'd apprciate a post or a PM. Thanks!

The Predator vs. Magnus TPB is damn hard to find. Five copies in the census with a single 9.8 that sold for $405 in Sept '09.

The Preacher Preview only has thirteen copies on the census and GPA for a 9.8 is $441 (Nov '08) and $95 for a 9.6 May '10. I came across two copies this last year completely by accident. :) p

I traded for Booz's 9.8. In over a year, still no more 9.8s.

If anyone else has more info about those Ultraverse hologram covers, I'd apprciate a post or a PM. Thanks!

What would you like to know?

Actually, how tough is the signed Prime Time hardcover reprinting the first four issues of Prime? I'm sure there were only about 500 copies printed of this one, because it cost, like, $50 when it was released and that was a hefty price tag back then.

----

crazy. by the time #4 came out, #1 was a 25-50 cent box book. who on earth buys these hardcovers for $50 reprinting $2 worth of material??

That's why they're tough to find-no one bought them. The question is, why would anyone think that they were a good idea to manufacture?

When $4 came out, the holos were huge, was #1 (standard) really that low?

No. Prime #1 and especially #2 were still quite hot by the time #4 came out.

Prime didn't start to cool off until about issue 9-10.

The Preacher Preview only has thirteen copies on the census and GPA for a 9.8 is $441 (Nov '08) and $95 for a 9.6 May '10. I came across two copies this last year completely by accident. :) p

Dino (the new owner of the Valiant properties, VEI) got three copies of the TPB in the Acclaim warehouse. They all graded at 9.8. That's where mine came from. Coming soon to the census.

I was a big fan of Valiant stuff way back when the Predator vs. Magnus trade came out and my retailer, who kept me in the loop about all things Valiant, never told me anything about it. I didn't know about it until years later and I had never even seen one for sale anywhere. I was so shocked when I found the one in the dollar box. I asked the guy how much he wanted for the book and he told me a buck and I was totally speechless. He said the books that were worth the most were in the box under the table and that he'd let most of those go for $2-$3 each. He later told me that a guy was selling him boxes of books from an old store collection at just a few cents apiece.

And I can remember when the Prime Time hardcover came out and Prime and the rest of the Ultraverse titles were pretty hot (we were all eagerly awaiting the mail-order Ultraverse 0 to come in with that beautiful Jim Lee Mantra cover). I wanted one, because comics in hardcover back then was pretty new and very seldom done, so I inquired about the book, but backed out when I found out how much it was. I think this was the only collection that Malibu did of any of the Ultraverse comics and it may have come out right around the time of the line's decline.

I need to do some more research and find my copy to see if it has a price inside the book. I'm sure it was somewhere around $50 because I know back then I couldn't afford one.

There were also a few of the Ultra rare Ultraverse titles that had silver stamps on the front cover. Those were limited to 5,000 copies each. I think I have Prototype 1, Prime 1 and Solitare 1 and maybe one or two more.

I know I've got a Hardcase 1 hologram cover that was with the Strangers 1 that I had graded. I might have a Prime 1 hologram, too, but it'd take quite a long look into my boxes to find that one.

The biggest problem with Ultraverse was that it had the unfortunate timing that had it coming out right around the boom and bust for comics back in the 1990s. Plus, Malibu printed as many of each of those first few comics as Valiant did with Turok 1. There were some good titles, like Prime, Strangers, Sludge and Exiles, but they got lost in the shuffle of the boom, which helped push them into the bust phase.

I'm not really sure how many of those Ultraverse 0s and Rune 0s there are out there. Those were available to people who sent in the coupons that appeared in several of the Ultraverse comics. I know I've got a copy of both and the Prime Flood Relief issue that you got if you sent in a donation to the American Red Cross.

I sent in my coupons for the Ultraverse 0s at same time as I sent off to get my Image 0, which took nearly two years to get and wasn't worth the hassle after it arrived and I saw the junk that was inside. I wonder how many of those Image 0s were printed...

That's why they're tough to find-no one bought them. The question is, why would anyone think that they were a good idea to manufacture?

OK, I remember getting them out of 50 cent boxes in like October/November 1993, but who knows maybe it was just those particular dealers (this was in the fun old days when multiple guys would set up with tables of long boxes in the financial district downtown and it was like a frigging comics and baseball card bazaar..it was fun) and I guess #4 would have already come out. but criminey, i sure do see a lot of that issue out there.

Comicfest '93 in Philly was the week that Ultraverse books were the hottest ones on the planet. My buddy paid $12 for Prime # 2--the super hot one, despite my telling him to buy Bone # 1 for $50. I passed on the Bone 1 to buy All-Star Western 10 for $45.

I spent most of the convention picking pre-Unity Valiants out of the dollar boxes because I couldn't (then) afford the Ultraverse books, particularly the hologram and special covers. Also, signed version were _everywhere_ because nearly all the creators were attending.

The odd thing about that show was the disparity between newsstand and direct sale versions of the early Ultraverse books--the only time I've ever seen such a thing. The direct sale # 1s were going for $4-8 each, as were some of the # 2s, but the newsstand versions of those same books could be add in bulk for $.50 to $1.

Sign of a bubble: by the time Marvel bought them a year or two later the books were _all_ $.50 fodder. I picked up 30 copies of Hardcase # 1 for $.50 from an LCS in Manhattan in 1995.

Coolest Ultraverse item I own is the Firearm issue (# 0 maybe?) that came with the videotape that had a live-action short of Firearm.

Coolest Ultraverse item I own is the Firearm issue (# 0 maybe?) that came with the videotape that had a live-action short of Firearm.

The only one I ever wanted was Prime #1 Hologram. I had one, but then auctioned it off recently to help out a board member.

I always thought it had the best hologram cover of the lot. Believe I deleted the photo from photobucket already.

:cloud9:

Dino (the new owner of the Valiant properties, VEI) got three copies of the TPB in the Acclaim warehouse. They all graded at 9.8. That's where mine came from. Coming soon to the census.

There are at least 4 copies in CGC 9.8.

CGC appears to have created two different records for the same book (the 1994 edition).

http://www.gregholland.com/cgc/customissues.asp?title=Predator+vs.+Magnus+Robot+Fighter&issuestart=0&issueend=99999&yearstart=1994&yearend=1994

OK, I remember getting them out of 50 cent boxes in like October/November 1993, but who knows maybe it was just those particular dealers (this was in the fun old days when multiple guys would set up with tables of long boxes in the financial district downtown and it was like a frigging comics and baseball card bazaar..it was fun) and I guess #4 would have already come out. but criminey, i sure do see a lot of that issue out there.

I would love for the financial district to be like that still, as I work in Tribeca.

there are so many tourists on top of the regular foot traffic down there that the police i don't think let folks set up. plus after 9/11 they're just persnickity in general. there are a couple of vendors who set up on broadway down by bowling green, but no comics. some vendors are on the sidestreets, but rarely comics anymore (some of the book guys sell TPBs and such, but nothing too interesting, a box of comics would just be random). one last guy sells sports cards ocassionally, but only a couple of times a month on nice days.

personally, i don't understand why more folks don't sell comics like this. as it is first amendment reading material i think the police are very limited in stopping them (through some main streets can be off limits), i don't think they need a vendor's permit, etc.

but the newsstand versions of those same books could be add in bulk for $.50 to $1.

--------

maybe i was getting the prime 1 newstands at that price. i didn't know there was a difference. i sold them in bulk on ebay for pretty much the same 50 cents each i paid for them except 10 years later.