• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Bloodshot 0 (platinum). Believe it's got 7-11 copies known. And it was an intentional variant, not a misprint.

Joe/Jduran1 (man, haven't said that board name in a long time) knew someone involved in the printing process, and she said there were around 80-100 copies that she knew of.

I need to check in with him anyway to see how he is doing. I'll ask for more details.

I just want to point out that this topic is not settled by any means. The platinum BS0 is still, in my opinion (and CGCs since they are certified as such), extremely likely to be a misprint of the gold edition.

If the book's author, the EIC, and the Marketing guy didn't know about it, it was unintentional. Even if it was done on purpose by guys with access to the printing process, it still is not a Valiant released variant. It's akin the the guys at the US Mint who were making misprinted money on purpose to sell to coin dealers to supplement their income.

So, until someone who was in Valiant upper management at the time says that he authorized, for promotional purposes, the printing of a number of gold books without gold foil, which is believed to be the only difference between the gold and the plat, I will not be convinced.

Bloodshot 0 (platinum). Believe it's got 7-11 copies known. And it was an intentional variant, not a misprint.

Joe/Jduran1 (man, haven't said that board name in a long time) knew someone involved in the printing process, and she said there were around 80-100 copies that she knew of.

I need to check in with him anyway to see how he is doing. I'll ask for more details.

I just want to point out that this topic is not settled by any means. The platinum BS0 is still, in my opinion (and CGCs since they are certified as such), extremely likely to be a misprint of the gold edition.

If the book's author, the EIC, and the Marketing guy didn't know about it, it was unintentional. Even if it was done on purpose by guys with access to the printing process, it still is not a Valiant released variant. It's akin the the guys at the US Mint who were making misprinted money on purpose to sell to coin dealers to supplement their income.

So, until someone who was in Valiant upper management at the time says that he authorized, for promotional purposes, the printing of a number of gold books without gold foil, which is believed to be the only difference between the gold and the plat, I will not be convinced.

7-11 copies is definitely a book where RMA's comments about 'investability' apply. The 'float' is not large enough to make this a reasonable investment consideration.

7-11 copies is definitely a book where RMA's comments about 'investability' apply. The 'float' is not large enough to make this a reasonable investment consideration.

Actually, Valiantman made a great defense in 2007 (on the Valiant boards) that it's much more likely there are up to 300 of these than less than 30.

But the number "found" is still under 20 at this point, as far as I know.

And yet--this is RMA's own topic and it's on pure rarity rather than investability.

Here, he's specifically asking for the rarest, which is not at all the same as "where do you put your money."

He started even started it off with two books with under 20 known copies each.

And yet--this is RMA's own topic and it's on pure rarity rather than investability.

Here, he's specifically asking for the rarest, which is not at all the same as "where do you put your money."

He started even started it off with two books with under 20 known copies each.

Agree with you 100% that it wasn't part of the original post, but it is interesting to think about where the two lines - rarity and investability - cross. At what point is something so rare that people throw their hands up.

Well put. I will never finish my Valiant comics set (missing fewer than 20 books) precisely because I will never find a Platinum Bloodshot 0 at a price I'm willing to pay. I've quit that goal.

It's like collecting a series (even modern) in CGC 9.9 or 10.0, or say--9.8 double signature series.Might be possible, but for most people either prohibitively expensive and/or not near worth the time and effort required.

I am surprised nobody mentioned the Pre-Unity Valiants, my friend Teddy says they are rarer then thier low print runs because a lot of new Valiant collectors have started to hoard these the last 5 years, example a pre-unity Valiant that had a print run of say 30,000 would be half that because half of the print run have

been hoarded and taken off the market by the extreme serious Valiant collectors.

I am surprised nobody mentioned the Pre-Unity Valiants, my friend Teddy says they are rarer then thier low print runs because a lot of new Valiant collectors have started to hoard these the last 5 years, example a pre-unity Valiant that had a print run of say 30,000 would be half that because half of the print run have

been hoarded and taken off the market by the extreme serious Valiant collectors.

That's what I'm doing.

There are just too many for the hoarders to have a big effect. You can always find a copy. You may have to pay more than you would like, but they have always been available.

I don't beleive the combined posted inventories of the valiantcomics.com members have been able to account for more than 5% or so of any print run, and that's only with the limited variants.

I'd also posit (without having checked the CGC census) that valiants dominate the slabbed comics from 1991-1992, ie, more Valiants have been slabbed from that 16 month period than virtually any other book.

Thus, will be _easier_ to find today in (slabbed) high grade than comparable books from the time period.

Keep in mind that Valiant's low print runs for the time = mid-line Marvel print run today.

That's because even the lowest printed pre-Unity that exists has hundreds of times more copies extant than the books this thread is supposed to be about.

Here, then, are some more actually rare 90's books..

The Ultraverse Golds.

Now, I don't mean Ultraforce, which is around in abundance, and only exists as a gold hologram cover...

I mean Hardcase, Mantra, Prime, etc.

In fact, Prime #1 Gold Hologram is the rarest Ultraverse book that exists. The rumored runs on these were 200-300 copies.

Impossible books, from a company that very few care about. ;)

Hulk #377 3rd Print

I am surprised no one commented on this.

I rarely do this.....but I'm taking a page from the Absolute Hardest to find 70

s books and not mentioning it until I find a copy.

;)

Been looking for a longggggg long time.

Supergirl #1 3rd print is in the same category...

Here, then, are some more actually rare 90's books..

The Ultraverse Golds.

Now, I don't mean Ultraforce, which is around in abundance, and only exists as a gold hologram cover...

I mean Hardcase, Mantra, Prime, etc.

In fact, Prime #1 Gold Hologram is the rarest Ultraverse book that exists. The rumored runs on these were 200-300 copies.

Impossible books, from a company that very few care about. ;)

I think I might seen a few at the con on the weekend. hm I might have to pay closer attention to those holograms.