• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

What was the story on Magneto #0 Gold?

:popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn:

I just went looking for the answer, but couldn't find the story.

I own a copy purchased from RMA back in '08... he purchased it in '04.

My best recollection of the story is that Marvel did not like the look of the Gold adhered to the Magneto #0 books,

so they basically decided not to do the incentive. A few do exist, however, I don't remember the distribution story.

All other copies of Magneto #0 have the purple foil logo... the Gold version is not mentioned in Overstreet.

[EDIT]

I see that there are 32 copies on the CGC Census, so it probably doesn't qualify for this discussion.

Edited by valiantman

So, would these hand outs by Pizza Hut fit the bill in any way? (shrug)

I still have my copies from the Pizza Hut VHS X-Men set.

:gossip: I still have the VHS tapes too.

Mini-posters intact still?

Mine are still in the original shrink wrapped w/ the VHS tapes. I tried to dump them on the boards a couple years ago with no luck :P

Here are a few more to discuss. I tried to stay away from the variants.

Total Eclipse (Image) – Miracleman

Sonic the Hedgehog Sega Promo & 1/4 - 1st Sonic the Hedgehog

Simpsons Illustrated #1 – 1st app. of The Simpsons

Poison Elves (Mulehide Graphics)

Cavewoman (Basement Comics)

Ghost Rider #93 - Last issue

Superman Adventures #21 (Supergirl)

Swamp Thing #171 - Last issue

Diamond Previews TPB’s (Spawn, Unity, Vampirella, Terminator, etc.)

Here are a few more to discuss. I tried to stay away from the variants.

Total Eclipse (Image) – Miracleman

The RRP? I remember loading up on them. The last was a slab I bid up and while doing so had the distinct feeling I was throwing money away :P Has it held? I thought there were quite a few of them, enough to keep them out of most rare lists.

Strangers In Paradise #2 (1993 edition, Antarctic Press)

None of the 1st volume SIP's are particularly difficult to find - in 9.8, sure, but if you don't care about condition, they show up on ebay pretty regularly.

I was trusting Overstreet's comment of "2,300 printed".

Strangers In Paradise #2 (1993 edition, Antarctic Press)

None of the 1st volume SIP's are particularly difficult to find - in 9.8, sure, but if you don't care about condition, they show up on ebay pretty regularly.

I was trusting Overstreet's comment of "2,300 printed".

Overstreet is (close to being) correct - for the 1st printings of the 1st volume of SiP, the print runs are as follows:

#1 - 3,000

#2 - 2,000

#3 - 3,000

But SiP, excellent as it may be, just isn't popular enough in comic book form for those books to be rare - even with those small print runs.

Way back when I went to I think it was Long Beach Con in the early 90's I saw that the Ren & Stimpy #1 was in it's 6th or 8th print. The cover text was changed with each printing. I don't think I see anything beyond second print anymore.

Sandman #8 Karen Burger Editorial Variant is tough to find ( might be 89 not 1990). Also Sandman #18 with the blue panels is tough. The Preacher Preview is not found everyday either.

I've only seen two posted on here in the past year, and only one was a 9.8 which then sold on Ebay.

I think there were about 50 copies printed of the original Wandering Star 1 by Teri S. Wood back around 1992 to 1993.

It probably isn't worth a whole lot, but it is definitely rare. I've got a copy that was sent to me by Teri because I ran a classified ad in Comics Buyer's Guide praising the series. She signed it to me and even threw in a sketch of one of the characters -- all for free.

I think there are a lot of the premium variant comics from the 1990s that are rare, especially stuff like the Diamond Unity trade paperbacks, the Diamond retailer premium Marvel 1994 trade paperbacks that reprint every comic Marvel published from one month in two trades, and the Diamond retailer summit edition of the Spider-Man: Torment tpb.

I think there were about 50 copies printed of the original Wandering Star 1 by Teri S. Wood back around 1992 to 1993.

It probably isn't worth a whole lot, but it is definitely rare. I've got a copy that was sent to me by Teri because I ran a classified ad in Comics Buyer's Guide praising the series. She signed it to me and even threw in a sketch of one of the characters -- all for free.

That sounds like a cool comic (thumbs u