• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Copper Age what do you do?

183 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on Milk and Cheese #1?

M&C is a modern. It is an awesome book. I don't know what kind of play it will have as a long term investment. But I gladly paid $100 for my 1st print #, then got it signed by Evan Dorkin. :cloud9:

Dime Press 4? :sorry:

Modern - not a Copper Age book. :makepoint:

This book seems to have a stream of high-grade copies which pop up on Ebay regularly from European sellers advertising it as "extremely limited." It's like they have access to a time machine, or ...

21264990a3a8ee59e105739d1179c5e8_1M.png

The copies are being color-touched by the Italian sellers - I bought 2 copies last year, both of them came back as PLODs.

Milk & Cheese is Copper. It came out in 1991.

"Modern" started (per Overstreet's) in 1992 "with the debut of Image Comics," i.e. Youngblood # 1.

Spider-Man 1, Milk & Cheese 1, Bone 1, New Mutants 87, 98, X-men 266, Magnus 1 = all still Copper.

Milk & Cheese is Copper. It came out in 1991.

"Modern" started (per Overstreet's) in 1992 "with the debut of Image Comics," i.e. Youngblood # 1.

Spider-Man 1, Milk & Cheese 1, Bone 1, New Mutants 87, 98, X-men 266, Magnus 1 = all still Copper.

I'm not saying you are wrong, because the dates of publication are what they are. But both Bone and M&C are moderns to me, mainly because only the first couple of issues meet the technical definition, and both were published throughout the nineties. They both have a completely Modern (read non-Copper) feel to me as #1s and as entire series as well.

It is a lot easier to say that New Mutants 87 or X-Men 266 are Copper because it is just one book, not the start of a whole series.

Just my 2c

Yeah, I get that. Likewise, while I also abide by the Overstreets "Bronze goes through 1983" thing it's really hard for me to consider GI Joe or the Perez New Teen Titans run to be anything but Copper.

They might have not have been as important as TMNT 1 or Secret Wars to usher in a new "era" but those books to me felt different than what I associate with Bronze--a shift away from superheroes to a more horror and/or Conan vein and the darker social relevancy of the Adams/O'Neil/Claremont/Miller books.

Dime Press 4? :sorry:

Modern - not a Copper Age book. :makepoint:

This book seems to have a stream of high-grade copies which pop up on Ebay regularly from European sellers advertising it as "extremely limited." It's like they have access to a time machine, or ...

21264990a3a8ee59e105739d1179c5e8_1M.png

The copies are being color-touched by the Italian sellers - I bought 2 copies last year, both of them came back as PLODs.

I dont see so many high grade copies anywhere. Census only has 2 9.8 and 12 9.6, compared with San Diego Comic Con 2 with 45 9.8 and 53 9.6

As for PLOD, I bought several copies during the last 3 years and submitted myself 6 of them. None came back as PLOD, only blue label. I agree that some unethical seller can do the color touch job, but it's wrong to assume that this is the rule.

I dont see so many high grade copies anywhere. Census only has 2 9.8 and 12 9.6, compared with San Diego Comic Con 2 with 45 9.8 and 53 9.6

As for PLOD, I bought several copies during the last 3 years and submitted myself 6 of them. None came back as PLOD, only blue label. I agree that some unethical seller can do the color touch job, but it's wrong to assume that this is the rule.

Just because all the copies didn't make it into CGC yet doesn't mean this book isn't oversold.

One European seller that wanted to sell me his "last copy" two years ago later on sold 12 more copies. You just need to dig through his selling history.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ricchiracchigiumbolo

Mar-29-09 09:41

Apr-06-09 23:06

May-21-09 05:22

May-21-09 16:07

May-21-09 16:08

Jun-15-09 17:24

Jun-15-09 17:24

Jul-02-09 14:50

Jul-09-09 18:03

Jul-22-09 17:04

Sep-30-09 07:09

Oct-06-09 03:56

And oddly enough, I see he just sold another one. loldoh! So this is either the distributor of the book, or this gentleman was lucky enough to find 14 copies including the one he sold me outside of Ebay.

And this seller seems to have a nice constant stream available for sale, CGC and raw.

http://myworld.ebay.com/europeancomix4you

And there are a few more European sellers that seem to post this book regularly for sale as "rare" or "my last copy of a rare find." I wouldn't use the CGC census to judge availability, as many still love their books raw.

Do you think San Diego Comic Con 2 is scarcer than Dime Press 4?

I dont know the numbers, I agree that the "estimated" 2000 copies for DP4 is a fantasy number, but one thing I can say for sure. I am italian, and back in 1993, when DP4 came out, I was almost weekly at a LCS in Milan, one of the most important shop in Italy and i dont remember any DIme Press fanzine for sale. And I am the kind of guy who looks carrefully at the shelves....My estimation, based on my firts hand experience, is that the print run should be around 10k.

Anybody knows the print run of the San Dieco comic? It was a free comic given to everybody attending the con? In this case, is it a safe guess a number around 50k?

I dont know the numbers, I agree that the "estimated" 2000 copies for DP4 is a fantasy number, but one thing I can say for sure. I am italian, and back in 1993, when DP4 came out, I was almost weekly at a LCS in Milan, one of the most important shop in Italy and i dont remember any DIme Press fanzine for sale. And I am the kind of guy who looks carrefully at the shelves....My estimation, based on my firts hand experience, is that the print run should be around 10k.

Anybody knows the print run of the San Dieco comic? It was a free comic given to everybody attending the con? In this case, is it a safe guess a number around 50k?

Who can say, but Dime Press 4 is not the rarity it was made out to be - we're definitely in agreement there. Supposedly SDCC #2 had a print run of 1,500 to 2,000 copies. Yet it also seems to have a steady stream of high-grade copies.

Still, Dime Press 4 is a great book to own for any Hellboy fan wanting an early prototype before the first full appearance. And being a cover appearance, it is definitely made for a sharp CGC case to safely display.

:foryou:

Who can say, but Dime Press 4 is not the rarity it was made out to be - we're definitely in agreement there. Supposedly SDCC #2 had a print run of 1,500 to 2,000 copies. Yet it also seems to have a steady stream of high-grade copies.

Still, Dime Press 4 is a great book to own for any Hellboy fan wanting an early prototype before the first full appearance. And being a cover appearance, it is definitely made for a sharp CGC case to safely display.

:foryou:

I don't know if SDCC#2 is rare,as it was given out as a freebie at a booth.I do on the other hand think it's harder to find in high grade,as I'm sure people bent the sheit out of them in the swag bags.Who cares right,just a freebie,nobody knew that Hellboy would become a huge character. (shrug)

I don't know if SDCC#2 is rare,as it was given out as a freebie at a booth.I do on the other hand think it's harder to find in high grade,as I'm sure people bent the sheit out of them in the swag bags.Who cares right,just a freebie,nobody knew that Hellboy would become a huge character. (shrug)

I heard rumor someone has a high-grade raw of this cheapie/freebie/low-value book. Maybe I can dig out a nice X-Force 1 with Cable card for trade - super-rare.

:shy:

i don't see a lot of upside in buying slabs of these books, but I do think you can make a pretty good profit ST, MT and even long-term if you brought $1000 to a show and bought several boxes of choice copper material out of the cheap-o boxes. it would be a lot of work though.

Honestly, $1,000 nowadays would be enough to put together a pretty decent inventory of books from different eras if you want to become a junior dealer, have 400-500 items in your store and run some auctions.

i don't see a lot of upside in buying slabs of these books, but I do think you can make a pretty good profit ST, MT and even long-term if you brought $1000 to a show and bought several boxes of choice copper material out of the cheap-o boxes. it would be a lot of work though.

Honestly, $1,000 nowadays would be enough to put together a pretty decent inventory of books from different eras if you want to become a junior dealer, have 400-500 items in your store and run some auctions.

Or if you pull them out of dollar boxes and slab them into 9.8s yourself. ^^

I heard rumor someone has a high-grade raw of this cheapie/freebie/low-value book. Maybe I can dig out a nice X-Force 1 with Cable card for trade - super-rare.

Who has a raw NM+?..............Me?.....It's real,and it's spectacular. :whee:

Who has a raw NM+?..............Me?.....It's real,and it's spectacular. :whee:

(worship):luhv:

Yes, that too (so you need to allocate a few hundred of your $1000 to slabbing fees), question is whether the good slabbing material key books are in the dollar boxes and how good you are at pulling 9.8s from the wild.

For example, what's the FMV on something like a 60 - 75 cent cover price layton generic iron man in 9.8? is there still money in that?

Yes, that too (so you need to allocate a few hundred of your $1000 to slabbing fees), question is whether the good slabbing material key books are in the dollar boxes and how good you are at pulling 9.8s from the wild.

For example, what's the FMV on something like a 60 - 75 cent cover price layton generic iron man in 9.8? is there still money in that?

I would never do it like that. I may buy those books for the hope that I could get them SS'd in the future, but the ROI is not worth it. You want to get at least $50-$75 and hopefully more out of dollar box books after you have CGC'd them to make it worthwhile (at least for me). The key for me is almost always books that were hot at one point, or that are short printed. That is where the Copper bread is. And Dave Stevens books.