• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Copper Age what do you do?

183 posts in this topic

Since I already have TMNT #1 first print I would look for a #3 Variant for around $500. Complete my turtles run for about $120 (this would give me a complete TMNT run)...Buy a 9.6 G.I. Joe #21 $171 on ebay now. With the last $209 I would buy the nicest raw copy Evil Ernie # 1 (1st lady death)...

Copper is my era, so almost everything I buy is for me. To buy and flip in 5-10 years I would buy all the CGC 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 Dave Stevens covers I could get my hands on.

I would get TMNT #1 CGC copy for a long-term investment 2c

Yes, you all should go buy TMNT books. Great investment! (thumbs u

:gossip:That'll keep you busy while I grab all the other books that are REALLY worth purchasing. BWHAAAHAAAAHAAAAA....

I'm not sure buying a lot of 9.8's is worthwile, the census is just killing the prices

on most 9.8's . I would also not buy volume but buy one or two quality books. Consider a couple desirable 9.9's.

I'll take Primer 2 and Grendel (1983) along with the others already mentioned.

Pour, stir briskly, repeat.

Since I already have TMNT #1 first print I would look for a #3 Variant for around $500. Complete my turtles run for about $120 (this would give me a complete TMNT run)...Buy a 9.6 G.I. Joe #21 $171 on ebay now. With the last $209 I would buy the nicest raw copy Evil Ernie # 1 (1st lady death)...

Seeing that 12 month GPA on that book is around $90-100, that would be both a bad short-term and long-term investment :shy:

Seeing that 12 month GPA on that book is around $90-100, that would be both a bad short-term and long-term investment :shy:

I have been watching #21 for years bought my first copy new. Went to a convention in philly looking for it and bought the only two copies worth buying...I watch it on ebay every week and never see it sell for that cheap. I think it is a great investment.

I have been watching #21 for years bought my first copy new. Went to a convention in philly looking for it and bought the only two copies worth buying...I watch it on ebay every week and never see it sell for that cheap. I think it is a great investment.

gpa-gijoe21-9.6.gif

To be fair, those three cheap copies could easily have sold at a different venue than eBay, like the Heritage weekly auctions.

Here's the most recent sale (for $82) on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220841987926

No matter how you look at it, that book is just not worth $171 in 9.6 anymore - you'd have to go back to 2009 to find a $170+ sale in that grade.

It's no different with a 9.8 copy - back in 2009, 9.8s had multiple $1,000+ sales. These days they're selling for around $400.

Some nice small print run options from the Copper/Modern era....for most of them you can get a few books for that $1k price tag.

EvilErnie196.jpg

EvilErnie298.jpg

Those are great books, but is Lady Death still being published? I recall those books being hot for about 4 years during the 90s "bad girl" phase, but long-term potential?

Dunno--I just feel like Groo, Grendel, even The Crow and The Tick will have a better long-term presence.

Those are great books, but is Lady Death still being published? I recall those books being hot for about 4 years during the 90s "bad girl" phase, but long-term potential?

Dunno--I just feel like Groo, Grendel, even The Crow and The Tick will have a better long-term presence.

Avatar has been publishing Lady Death for the last 7 years. She's had at least 3 dozen books in the last decade and she is the only one on the list with an ongoing series at the present.

Tiny print runs, characters still in demand..all work.

I would not say any of those have a "presence". Groo gets a 4 part mini from time to time, for me only the original Crow really worked, so none of them are burning up the charts. Lady Death is the only one with a monthly title right now.

Just like every title on this list they all get a one shot or a 3-4 parter every year or two. None of them are published continuously except for Lady Death.

Nice...I stand corrected.

One of the few purchases I did not make and later regretted was picking up a perfect autographed copy of Evil Ernie # 1 from New England Comics about 16 years ago for $30.

Would be green label CGC'd today, but still. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

Nice...I stand corrected.

One of the few purchases I did not make and later regretted was picking up a perfect autographed copy of Evil Ernie # 1 from New England Comics about 16 years ago for $30.

Would be green label CGC'd today, but still. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

Those Damn Evil Ernies have never been easy. I remember when Lady Death got her first series you couldn't find them then, in any condition. It was crazy.