• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Copper Age what do you do?

183 posts in this topic

To be fair, those three cheap copies could easily have sold at a different venue than eBay, like the Heritage weekly auctions.

Here's the most recent sale (for $82) on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220841987926

No matter how you look at it, that book is just not worth $171 in 9.6 anymore - you'd have to go back to 2009 to find a $170+ sale in that grade.

It's no different with a 9.8 copy - back in 2009, 9.8s had multiple $1,000+ sales. These days they're selling for around $400.

mschmidit I think you are right. you showed charts and backed up your reasons. I have a soft spot in my heart for #21 since it was one of the first comics I bought new off the book stand. I have never sold a comic in my life. I just collect and collect buying many copies of what I like. Marvel printed cir.183,466 copies of the "silent" issue. Does a CGC 10 exist? The 9.8 is still kind of rare? If we all could predict the future think of how much money we all would have. My wife gives me a hard time and says "It's not worth anything till you sell it" (thumbs u (...knowing damn well that I don't sell YET. Out of 183,466 copies how many 9.6 grades raw still exist? At some point they will run out. How many people collect comic books world wide? This may be more of a long term deal.

Nice...I stand corrected.

One of the few purchases I did not make and later regretted was picking up a perfect autographed copy of Evil Ernie # 1 from New England Comics about 16 years ago for $30.

Would be green label CGC'd today, but still. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

Not trying to sound morbid but since Steven Hughes died Feb 18, 2000 and the first issue had a 12,000 print run and only 7000 for #2 (first Lady Death cover) This Eternity series is hm Hughes work was cool then throw in an early Tim Vigil cover for issue #4 with a 8000 print run...

Id have to side with Bone. All those other Indy books have either reached their prime or they need a huge resurgence to garner a large increase long term. They would all appreciate over time, but Bone wins hand down I think for long term. Some of them for long term value I will never understand like Primer 2 and Grendel 1.

I cant think of one now, but what about a 1st app of a character toward the end run of a title so you already have a low print run established. I would tend to shy away from indy books unless I felt I had a long term winner similiar to a 1st Hellboy or Gobbledygook 1.

From what I remember Bats 428 was the book to have in S. Fl. People were trying to get the newstand copies before they were even put out.

DKR was huge because the print run was so small and DC hyped the hell out of it. There was an alternative press music fanzine that had a comic story, CHEMICAL IMBALANCE. I remember them suggesting Tales of the Beanworld as a cool read, and DKR as being so expensive nobody could afford it. There were a couple of other suggestions but I don't recall.

When the signed numbered copies came out, it perpetuated the hype. One store was giving theirs away, every $5 you spent got a ticket, winner take all. Read in the paper that the guy that won crashed his car on the way home as he wasn't paying attention. Tropic Comics got two (two stores) and their dust jackets were mangeld so DC sent them replacements in a tube. John was so proud that he and Rob were the only ones like that.

If I was given $1K I would look for Albedo 2 and/or TMNT 1.

Dime Press 4? :sorry:

Modern - not a Copper Age book. :makepoint:

This book seems to have a stream of high-grade copies which pop up on Ebay regularly from European sellers advertising it as "extremely limited." It's like they have access to a time machine, or ...

21264990a3a8ee59e105739d1179c5e8_1M.png