• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

The best thing this show could have done was to diverge from the comic book. There is no comic book that translates literally to the screen in all aspects. Frankly, I was getting tired of "waiting for X" to happen. To me the show is now fresh and exciting and the consequences of actions are all a brand new set of unknowns.

The WD universe is ripe for all new stories that are unfettered with following comic continuity. The characters from the book can exist, live, and die in a completely new way without the writers having to cram the round peg of a comic story into the square hole of a TV show.

We get something entirely new. That's a good thing.

I thought the comic book series is one of the easiest to translate to TV. (shrug)

I find the producer and Kirkman's TV adaptation lacking in all most every possible category.

To be frank the show is boring as .

The best thing this show could have done was to diverge from the comic book. There is no comic book that translates literally to the screen in all aspects. Frankly, I was getting tired of "waiting for X" to happen. To me the show is now fresh and exciting and the consequences of actions are all a brand new set of unknowns.

The WD universe is ripe for all new stories that are unfettered with following comic continuity. The characters from the book can exist, live, and die in a completely new way without the writers having to cram the round peg of a comic story into the square hole of a TV show.

I thought the comic book series is one of the easiest to translate to TV. (shrug)

I find the producer and Kirkman's TV adaptation lacking in all most every possible category.

Boring? really?

are you just too used to the that Marvel and DC put out? ;)

Boring? really?

are you just too used to the that Marvel and DC put out? ;)

I don't get the boring or lacking-action perspective.

It's a story, it needs character development. I just don't understand how much more action there can be in an episodic, character-driven narrative. This episode, for example, had three separate threads that were either frightening, unsettling or else tension-inducing at minimum (

zombies literally falling from the sky, the strange woman leading Rick back to an unknown fate at her camp, and the swine flu outbreak).

Do the people who think it is boring want each episode to be like watching someone play a video game with a high body count and no characterization? (shrug)

Someone help me understand your perspective because it doesn't make any sense to me!

Kirkman was the first to admit that translation of the story to hour long drama meant changes. Also, there were portions of the story that he wanted to alter to help the overall narrative.

Having read the comic since day one and having it, literally, go MONTHS without seeing a zombie I've come to appreciate that the show has far more action than the comic and that the human drama and relationships are (by far) the strongest parts of the WD universe.

They hit all those marks dead center.

Uhhhh it must be just me because this was the first season I was not excited for the TWD season to kick off.

Last night's episode I felt it was the same old they get in their vehicles to find food only to have a random breakdown in their efforts and a non-important character dies. (shrug)

I think if I didn't read the comic I would enjoy this show more, but I feel the show and the comic are just so vastly different I can't enjoy the show as much anymore.

It's like Kirkman made his mark in life by shocking you all the time in the comic and now on the TV show he is playing it safe and regurgitating the same formula that makes him no different than any of the other TV shows ever made. Season 4 is not looking any different from last season or the one before.

Again I guess I am in the minority here cause it seems most you guys are still really enjoying the show, but I almost fell asleep watching it last night. :sorry:

Besides season 2's ender with Michonne appearing in what I would call a cool comic book style scene all the other story-lines they tried to adapt from the comic book series were very lackluster. Killing Lori any other way from that which she died in the comic was the first sign to me that Kirkman was going to screw up the Prison arc and IMO he did very badly.

I agree with a lot of your points. Especially the way they killed Lori. I get that they can't tell the story exactly like it is in the comics. But moments like that are what set the comic apart from every other zombie story out there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. But I watch it knowing that my expectations should be tempered. I think the big problem is that the show is on cable TV (AMC). Could you imagine if the show was on HBO...

I think AMC has done really well with the show. HBO or cable tv would add what? Adult language and nudity? Not that I mind some T&A, but how would that add to the show? The gore factor is already there and like others have said the character plots have been pretty good. I stopped reading the books and then started again only to see another character get beaten beyond recognition - haven't read another book since. So I prefer to watch the TV version and liked this season's premiere.

Well said :golfclap:

Edited by ItsJustRyan

From another WD thread:

I thought episode one of the new season was pretty good. I was pretty underwhelmed with season 3 so I came into this episode with lower expectations than previous years.

One thing I had a question about, maybe I missed it I don't know.

Why is Rick suddenly anti-gun? Did something happen last season that I forgot about, did I miss something in this episode that wasn't obvious? Between the opening scene where he finds the 1911 in the dirt and not wanting to take the Python when he goes out, I just didn't understand where this was coming from. Did mayors against illegal guns start funding the show or something?

My serious response (but, do check the modern & water cooler threads for TWD discussions in progress :grin:) is that:

(1) Rick may be tired of killing, hence not wanting to carry a gun

(2) Rick could have been/is suicidal, hence the parallel with the woman in the woods who commits suicide, possibly mirroring Rick's thoughts

(3) Carl shot someone in cold blood last season. Maybe Rick wants his son to live in a world without guns being flashed everyday (and why the knife lessons were being done in secret in the library).

Just a few theories...

They said in talking dead that Rick didn't wan't to be that guy anymore for Carl after what he did to the boy in the woods. He figures without a gun, Carl won't be as aggressive. Plus I don't think Rick wants to lead anymore.

As I stated before I know I am in the minority about not loving the show anymore.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying the the show is the worst ever, but IMO the changes they have made to deviate from issues 1-49 have changed my excitement to watch it every Sunday at 9pm to DVRing it and watching it at some point in the week.

Maybe something will happen to get me excited again........ :wishluck:

As I stated before I know I am in the minority about not loving the show anymore.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying the the show is the worst ever, but IMO the changes they have made to deviate from issues 1-49 have changed my excitement to watch it every Sunday at 9pm to DVRing it and watching it at some point in the week.

Maybe stop remembering the comic?

This show is just going to get farther and farther from it, with just the rare 'hat-tip' to it as it goes along.

I would not be surprised

if Abe,Rosita and Eugene

are the last ever comic characters to join the cast.

If you are waiting for Cannibals and then Alexandria to happen, I hope you are waiting a long time, as I for one want, and enjoy the way its veering away from its source.

2c

Maybe stop remembering the comic?

This show is just going to get farther and farther from it, with just the rare 'hat-tip' to it as it goes along.

I would not be surprised

if Abe,Rosita and Eugene

are the last ever comic characters to join the cast.

If you are waiting for Cannibals and then Alexandria to happen, I hope you are waiting a long time, as I for one want, and enjoy the way its veering away from its source.

2c

I stopped reading the comic after issue 60.

If they were true to the comic more the ratings would be 25% higher. Would make Breaking Bad a kids show.