• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #1 auction on eBay - what do YOU think???

20 posts in this topic

OK this is the very first Thread I ever started on this Forum. I need to try to be more thick-skinned and more of a contributor than I have been in the past. But I sure picked a doozy to start this first Thread. Extremely questionable eBay auction to boot. I am keeping fingers crossed and hope this turns out to be a great Thread. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Restored or not? DOES describe the Trimming, omits subscription crease....

I think the sub-crease is due to the scanner...its either the straightest crease I've ever seen on a book, or its indeed a scanner hiccup. As for the restoration, that's tough. The green area on the right arm of the monster is often a dead give away on a F.F. # 1, because that is a tough color to reproduce...but you can't tell here because the colors are all bleached out in the scan. Of course, if this book was restored, it begs the question: why didn't they replace that nasty looking chip out of the front cover?

Looks like a Heritage type scan with the brightness and color saturation turned right up in an image editing program. I'd be asking for something a bit more representative of the book itself before bidding. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The trim is too extreme, and IMO, is only one of the restoration methods probably used on this book.

IMO, the scan has been tweaked or the book has been cleaned. Also, there appears to be color touches in the red FF logo lettering and the white areas around the letters. There may be a color touch in the creature's mouth. Note how a color breaking crease suddenly goes dark in the dark area of the mouth. The bystander furthest to the right looks touched up a bit.

There is a thin line of white on the bottom edge of the chip. My guess is that someone tried to fill the chip and it didn't match, so they just ripped out the piece leaving a tiny bit of the repair job at the bottom of the tear.

This looks like an amatuer restoration job that would have been better off left alone or sent to a professional. That said, it does have decent eye appeal if you can get past the trim.

smile.gif

After looking at about 35 copies of that book on Heritage it's clear that the right edge on that book in general is all over the place. But even the copies on Heritage that have been trimmed don't have that much missing on the right edge. IMO the copy on Ebay is trimmed big time and the top may be trimmed as well.

Here is a copy that has had all three edges trimmed.

The same seller has a Avengers #4 up for auction as well. Based on his photos, it appears to be slabbed but no mention of the grade or slab is made. Stolen photo?

i asked him about that auction yesterday. basically, he claims that it was his father's book and he knows nothing about comics - just ladies handbags.

he suggested that i stick with my gut and purchase from known dealers. he also said that the "no paypal" rule now applies to everything he sells over $100. (and if i couldn't abide i should not bid.) he's got that right - no better pix are available, either!!

also, no refunds?

but he's got 21 bids up to $600+ so far. either someone gets screwed or gets a nice deal. which do you think?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is the reply I just received from that Seller:

sir or mam,

It may have been for all I know... I surely would not tell you anything

to

tempt you into buying it, least alone would I misrepresent the item.

From

your eperience and who you say you are it would seem to me that you

would be

the person that would know if you see a crease then honestly I think

that

you should make note that it has one. As to restoration. The book is

trimmed and may very have restoration for all I know, in fact, if you

decide

to bid please do so with the understanding that it is

trimmed-restored-creased and everything else that you have infered.

That

way if you buy it we will still be friends. thanks:)

Caveat Emptor: Let the Buyer beware!!!

CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the sub-crease is due to the scanner...its either the straightest crease I've ever seen on a book, or its indeed a scanner hiccup. As for the restoration, that's tough. The green area on the right arm of the monster is often a dead give away on a F.F. # 1, because that is a tough color to reproduce...but you can't tell here because the colors are all bleached out in the scan. Of course, if this book was restored, it begs the question: why didn't they replace that nasty looking chip out of the front cover?

Replacing parts of a cover has gotta be more challenging and difficult than removing parts - e.g., trimming - wouldn't you say?

Regardless, the seller seems legit and forthright based on the responses he's given via email. I do agree that in addition to the right edge, the top looks like it was probably trimmed as well.

I guess the seller likes how it is going and added some more books: Captain America #30, Spider-Man #s 121, 122, 129. The thing is: these appear to be in CGC slabs. Why can't he simply show the grade? Maybe I'll have to write him.

At least the seller is laying everything out for potential bidders to see and not trying to sell a restored book as un-restored. Only bid if you accept all the books faults, and I don't see a problem.

either someone gets screwed or gets a nice deal. which do you think?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't think anyone's gonna' get screwed here. It's pretty plain to me it's a trimmed book and he says it's trimmed. So IMO it doesn't really matter if there is any further restoration or not on the book as it wouldn't effect what the book is really worth one way or another. The book isn't all that attractive, so I don't think it's gonna' sell for a lot. Biggest eyesore to me is is the trimming. I don't mind restored books personally, but something about trimming a book makes it look just awful.

Think it will sell for what it's worth - which isn't a lot.

I guess the seller likes how it is going and added some more books: Captain America #30, Spider-Man #s 121, 122, 129. The thing is: these appear to be in CGC slabs. Why can't he simply show the grade? Maybe I'll have to write him.
One things for sure, that Captain America #30 is FAR from NM, far far far! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Timely

One things for sure, that Captain America #30 is FAR from NM, far far far! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Timely

ab-so-freakin-lutely! foreheadslap.gif

i was referencing the Avengers #4, not the FF #1. i agree that the FF is already declared restored, so it's not as huge a risk as the avengers 4.

what scares me even more is the fact that all of these SA books seem to be encapsulated. as such, what is the seller doing by not disclosing the grade??(assuming there is one).

try this possibility on for size; much like the SS #4 thread where there was discussion as to how Currin might advertise the book if he decides to sell it at some point, knowing what CGC graded it at and his feelings about how undergraded it was. what if this seller chose to cut off the slabbed grade in the scans and simply sell on this oh-so-vague basis calling everything gorgeous - and you make your own decisions based on my huge scans.

he might feel that he could get more for an overly hyped raw book than the slabbed 5.0 (let's say) in his posession. it would require a newbie that doesn't grade all that well to fall for the hype. i don't guess there's anything unethical about that or would there be?? AND, i'm NOT saying any of this is so, just puzzled by the slabs and got to thinking........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

either someone gets screwed or gets a nice deal. which do you think?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't think anyone's gonna' get screwed here. It's pretty plain to me it's a trimmed book and he says it's trimmed. So IMO it doesn't really matter if there is any further restoration or not on the book as it wouldn't effect what the book is really worth one way or another. The book isn't all that attractive, so I don't think it's gonna' sell for a lot. Biggest eyesore to me is is the trimming. I don't mind restored books personally, but something about trimming a book makes it look just awful.

Think it will sell for what it's worth - which isn't a lot.