• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Modern Batman Thread

842 posts in this topic

There's a Nightwing ongoing? Wow...I...didn't...know...I...just...didn't...know

theres a what now? i dont think so. Trust me if there was i would be the first to know lol

Nightwing () will be the ongoing star in Detective comics and Batman & Robin once bruce comes back. Bruce will star in the other batbooks like Batman, Batman the return etc. So technically theres 2 nightwing books but just that hes wearing the cape and cowl.

In the story it led me to believe that Hush had a falling out with the Joker in another storyline set before this one. It mentions that the Joker had put a pacemaker into Hush in the story.

I'm going to have to go back and read this as I don't remember that at all. I know there is some Hush stuff I missed (after the #608 - #619 run) so I'll have to go catch up on that too. I may just buy Absolute Hush to make things quicker and easier. I was out of the loop between Batman #550 and #650 unfortunately.

I re-read the trade and this reference about Hush fighting the Joker is in there. I have the Return of Hush trade and think there must have been another Hush story in between this one and the Heart of Hush story hm

I haven't bought a single comic issue of Batman since #619 :o I much prefer the trades, so thank you guys for helping me try to find out about this potential Hush story! I like the Hush character that Dini has fleshed out. (thumbs u

Like I told you in the other thread, Hush appears in nearly every issue of Batman: Gotham Knights from 50 to the end (74). That includes his run-in with the Joker in issues 73 and 74 which features some unwanted surgery.

In the story it led me to believe that Hush had a falling out with the Joker in another storyline set before this one. It mentions that the Joker had put a pacemaker into Hush in the story.

I'm going to have to go back and read this as I don't remember that at all. I know there is some Hush stuff I missed (after the #608 - #619 run) so I'll have to go catch up on that too. I may just buy Absolute Hush to make things quicker and easier. I was out of the loop between Batman #550 and #650 unfortunately.

I re-read the trade and this reference about Hush fighting the Joker is in there. I have the Return of Hush trade and think there must have been another Hush story in between this one and the Heart of Hush story hm

I haven't bought a single comic issue of Batman since #619 :o I much prefer the trades, so thank you guys for helping me try to find out about this potential Hush story! I like the Hush character that Dini has fleshed out. (thumbs u

Like I told you in the other thread, Hush appears in nearly every issue of Batman: Gotham Knights from 50 to the end (74). That includes his run-in with the Joker in issues 73 and 74 which features some unwanted surgery.

OK, thanks! I appreciate you putting this post here too. I'm going to start to get those issues then. (thumbs u

I just read the Joker's Asylum TB; I really liked it (thumbs u The different art styles seemed to mesh well with each rogue, I thought. I especially liked the Penguin story and the Two-Face story. Has anyone else read these? I see there's another batch of Asylum stories and I'm looking forward to reading those too.

Cant wait to read all 8 Bruce Wayne: the road home books. :D

Batman

'Tec

Dark Knight

B&R

Batman Inc.

What am I missing? Stuff like Red Robin?

I just read the Joker's Asylum TB; I really liked it (thumbs u The different art styles seemed to mesh well with each rogue, I thought. I especially liked the Penguin story and the Two-Face story. Has anyone else read these? I see there's another batch of Asylum stories and I'm looking forward to reading those too.

I bought the first five floppies when they were first released but to be honest they didn't really do anything for me. I had noticed they had done more, and the cover to Killer Croc looks really sweet, but I doubt I'll be picking any more up.

Cant wait to read all 8 Bruce Wayne: the road home books. :D

Batman

'Tec

Dark Knight

B&R

Batman Inc.

What am I missing? Stuff like Red Robin?

Red Robin is in its own separate storyline. There will be 8 one shots that will show how the return of Bruce is affecting the certain people in the books.

# BRUCE WAYNE – THE ROAD HOME: BATGIRL

# BRUCE WAYNE – THE ROAD HOME: BATMAN AND ROBIN

# BRUCE WAYNE – THE ROAD HOME: OUTSIDERS

# BRUCE WAYNE – THE ROAD HOME: RED ROBIN

# BRUCE WAYNE – THE ROAD HOME: CATWOMAN

# BRUCE WAYNE – THE ROAD HOME: COMMISSIONER GORDON

# BRUCE WAYNE – THE ROAD HOME: ORACLE

# BRUCE WAYNE – THE ROAD HOME: RA'S AL GHUL

BATMAN: THE RETURN one shot

Aah OK I'm with you. I'll be giving those a miss more than likely, I bought all of the Battle for the Cowl one-shots and was sorely disappointed with them. I presume these will be the same sort of thing, maybe if there's anything in them that are crucial to storyline then I may pick up the trade but other than I'll just have to fill in the blanks myself.

I'll probably pick up 'The Return' as that seems to be the most relevant to the main Bat title, but having not read 'Return of Bruce Wayne' I just don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I honestly don't think this whole thing has been handled very well at all, what happened to Bruce and his time-travelling return. The Batbooks have been very good, especially Batman, but the side story itself just hasn't interested me in the slightest. that's a shame really when it's been focused on the mythos' main character.

Just trade wait like im doing with Return of Bruce wayne. I havent read any of those yet.

Yep, that's what I'll be doing. I'll do it for RoBW too, although after reading the first one I'm not holding my breath.

it is time for every title to stay solo.

And ain't that the truth (worship)

I think it'd be terrible if the titles became completely isolationist, but it'd be great if crossover "events" actually meant something.

Personally I detest the 'event' crossovers. Blackest Night had nothing to do with Batman, Final Crisis has nothing to do with Batman (except for the rushed insertion of Darkseid sending him back in time). A lot of people don't like 'events', but I don't think this is what Yannis was pointing out.

If you look at the storyline that's been running along since RIP/FC, it has spilled out into a lot of titles I have no interest in reading. I didn't even know anything was going in 'in the background' until I read Batman #703, when it becomes apparent that Red Robin has been plodding along in tandem, or at least carrying a storyline that has now crashed headlong into the main Bat title.

So, the main aim of a Red Robin title has been to get Batman readers to buy books they normally wouldn't if they want to know everything that's been going on. I don't like that marketing strategy to be honest, and I won't buckle to buying titles I don't want. So ultimately I'll miss out on relevant parts of storylines.

Annual events will happen, like it or lump it. Running relevant parts of stories (or in some cases essential plot devices) in second-rate titles is out of line.

:P Hiyo!

... so you thought I was gonna be gone from "the boards" forever and thought you can get away with your insertions to constantly show your "hate" for something that was crafted by Grant Morrison?

You cannot have Blackest Night falling/happening in all parts of DC and not include Bruce/Batman whether dead or not... it is just arrogant/ignorant to think they would.

... what is with you about there is no connection/involvement with Bruce/Batman, have you forgot Bruce/Batman is a prominent member of Justice League of America?

P.S.

I get you have harsh-opinions in regards to Grant Morrison's runs and you may not have enjoyed the series-runs Grant Morrison did and that you see Grant Morrison as a "Hit and/or Miss" type, but come on... your comments about "rushed insertion", is definitely a "miss".

I really wish that you clear your head, put away with your assertions, disregard the reviews/interviews and just read Grant Morrison's run over... it will probably be helpful and get you to appreciate the awesomeness of Grant Morrison as I will always see him... especially on Batman-titles/series.

... so you thought I was gonna be gone from "the boards" forever

To be honest, I hadn't really thought of you at all.

and thought you can get away with your insertions to constantly show your "hate" for something that was crafted by Grant Morrison?

Ermm, yes. That's my opinion, this is a public message board where we can air our opinions.

You cannot have Blackest Night falling/happening in all parts of DC and not include Bruce/Batman whether dead or not... it is just arrogant/ignorant to think they would.

Go back and read what I wrote. I didn't say Blackest Night shouldn't have included Batman, I'm saying it had nothing to do with the Batman title. It was Green Lantern focused, and throwing out a Batman 'Blackest Night' mini tie-in was just another way of getting people to spend more money. Which stinks.

... what is with you about there is no connection/involvement with Bruce/Batman, have you forgot Bruce/Batman is a prominent member of Justice League of America?

What??

P.S.

I get you have harsh-opinions in regards to Grant Morrison's runs and you may not have enjoyed the series-runs Grant Morrison did and that you see Grant Morrison as a "Hit and/or Miss" type, but come on... your comments about "rushed insertion", is definitely a "miss".

Oh, it most definitely was. Read the promotional bumf again for RIP:

'Beginning the epic story that will change the legend of The Dark Knight forever!' Not really forever was it? Epic fail more like.

'Everything in Grant Morrison’s groundbreaking run on Batman has been leading to this, and nothing will ever be the same again.' Leading to what? RIP didn't even have an end, we had to wait until Batman #701 (19 issues after the 'end' of RIP) to read the missing part that was the interface between RIP and Final Crisis #6.

'Who will live? Who will die?' Nobody. Even in the two issues that surfaced nearly two years later, nobody died.

So, was that bad marketing? Or was it the fact that Morrison's plan was rehashed to tie-in with that year's 'event' to sell more books? I think the dreadful dedaline failures points to the latter.

I really wish that you clear your head, put away with your assertions, disregard the reviews/interviews and just read Grant Morrison's run over... it will probably be helpful and get you to appreciate the awesomeness of Grant Morrison as I will always see him... especially on Batman-titles/series.

You see, there you stated your opinion, and I didn't even ask if you 'think you can get away with it'. You can post your pro-Morrison fanboy stuff until your heart's content and you won't ever see a word from me rubbishing it. But at the same time, please leave me the alone.

I think the whole Knightfall saga sums it up pretty nicely. At first it was contained to just Batman and Detective and was handled extremely well, but as it entered Knightquest, and later Knightsend, it spilled into God knows how many titles, and if I remember correctly it even found its way into Legends of the Dark Knight which was absolutely ridiculous.

Now Shadow of the Bat and LOTDK were actually pretty good titles in their own right, but once Knightfall touched them they lost their 'sparkle' for me. Plus we had to read Robin, Catwoman and so on. Just not good at all.

Then there's the flipside, take RIP for example. RIP was a self-contained 'story' in Batman, whilst over in 'Tec Paul Dini was writing one of the best runs on the title for a long time in 'Heart of Hush'. Unfortunately, the powers that be decided to slap RIP across all of the Detective issues in the run, they had absolutely nothing to do with RIP whatsoever, and Dini's tale was a far superior story.

I've often wondered just how much that impacted slaes on 'Tec, if at all. It's just the money grabbing wheels in motion yet again, they even applied the RIP moniker to Nightwing which was even further removed from the 'main event' itself. So people would have possibly been buying up these titles to get filled in on the whole story while in reality they needn't have bothered.

I don't know which is worse, having to buy titles you don't want to keep in the loop, or being duped into buying titles you don't need because you think you'll be out of the loop.

:P Hiyo!

Are you serious!?

Mind you, I cannot comment in regards to the Knight-series/spin-off events, but when you crossed over into Grant Morrison/R.I.P. territory... you are mine!

Once again, you assume the position of an over-reactive seemingly not much of a DC-reader... here is where I set the record straight:

One... Grant Morrison said in the beginning that it was not his place seeing how he was given Batman-title to over-take the writers of Detective Comics-title, Nightwing-title, Batman and the Outsiders/Outsiders-title and Robin-title just on the bases for him doing R.I.P. and Final Crisis; though there is correlation amongst the title-series in regards to the theme of R.I.P. that will show effects in each title-series and all Heroes of Gotham.

Two... Paul Dini's run in Detective Comics during R.I.P. had everything to do with R.I.P. in a whole, especially ramifications in Batman-title handled by Grant Morrison. Hush with his remembering the past, the decisions leading to the actions of Hush against Bruce/Batman, to the extent... Catwoman/Selina Kyle; ALL ARE CONNECTED TO R.I.P.!

Especially the reveals dealing with Bruce's family, possible backstory to overall reason leading to the robbery/slain (... or was it?) of Bruce's family leading Bruce to where we have him now... all became questionable in Batman-title series in regards to the Black-case files/books with the maniac crying on about he is Bruce's father come back to be the demise of his son.

I mean come on, this was so frigging apparent... did you read Detective Comic's R.I.P. with blindfold on?

Three... Nightwing was removed seemingly, because he was stuck in Arkham Asylum! Plus, it said... Nightwing was in New York dealing with Harvey Dent/Scarface bull- with the attorney or witness-woman.

Four... impact on sales for R.I.P. in regards to all issues/series involved was in fact due to insufficiently_thoughtful_person reviewers, preview-reviews, online reviews/interviews that not only distorted the impact and worth of the series, but carried on into the overall look on Final Crisis and all of its spin-offs related and release books during the time-period.

P.S.

I do not know which is worst... people reading the issues and not understanding what they read to the point they put out post/opinions on reviews-sites, discussion-boards, and etc; when if they just carefully read the series everything they are supposively confused about would be apparently answered. Or, the people who just rant-rave about how Grant Morrison is a virus and ruining DC series, especially with the company's flagship title/character... even if the people who are going-on with there , is completely in the wrong!

P.S.S.

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY LOVE FOR GRANT MORRISON!