• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Mostly) Copper Age Score Today!

11 posts in this topic

I posted this story in the general comics "In your collection this week" thread, but figured it fit a lot better here. I know I love reading others "Here's what I stumbled across" stories, and figured I'd tell mine.

Just had a chance to go through a collection of mostly bronze/copper/modern age books. A guy I work with knows I collect comics and he told me when he was a teenager he bought plenty of them. He told me he had about 3,200 comics, all bagged and boarded, that I could come look at after work.

Obviously I sped over there the second I got off.

I got there, and he was definitely right - there was over 3,000 individual comics all bagged and boarded. Everything was basically VF or NM, and I'd say the majority of them will grade around a 9.6. Most of the stuff I picked up is just reading material, but there are a few keepers.

After flipping through every book he had, I walked away with the following for a mere $40 because he basically just wanted to clear everything out (and didn't really care about value, as he hadn't kept up with it in years).

Green Lantern (1990) #1-30

Amazing Spider-Man #313-400 (I have a lot of these, but I needed a few for my collection and figured I'd could sell the extras off in lots)

Aquaman (1985) #1-5

Web of Spider-Man (1985) #34-109

Spectacular Spider-Man (1976) #162-245

Uncanny X-Men: #200-366

The New Mutants: 87, 98

The Uncanny 266 and New Mutants 98 look brand new, those will be the 2 big keepers that I found, and will definitely go to CGC. I'm pretty sure both will fetch a 9.8 as he bought them off the shelf and bagged and boarded them immediately. I was actually surprised they looked so good.

So, I think I got enough bulk issues to warrant my spending of $40, not to mention the 2 going to CGC.

why didn't you just do they guy a favor and take them all off his hands for $50 given that you cherry picked him anyway? there might be enough backing boards in there to justify that price even if you wind up donating it 90% of it to a public library.

why didn't you just do they guy a favor and take them all off his hands for $50 given that you cherry picked him anyway? there might be enough backing boards in there to justify that price even if you wind up donating it 90% of it to a public library.

Because I honestly didn't feel like hauling several boxes filled with 2099 books, and throwaways of various X-Men, Punisher, and Ghost Rider titles.

Not to mention if I came home with that many boxes of comics the wife would probably give me a look of disgust and ask where I planned on putting them. It's much safer to come home with a box or two full.