• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dishonest Seller

486 posts in this topic

He should have specified to give price when showing books. That is my one pet peeve of sellers that ask to give offer. I feel that they are just trying to see if the buyer is unknowing and leech them for every dollar they can get with maybe a bonus of ignorance dollars.

If you never pointed that out in the thread either tell them you don't do offers and to give you a price or give them serious offer.

If you did specify it then lowball them.

In this case the guy said he didnt want to get rid of book really and asked for price and that would have clued me in to that the book would probably be overpriced anyways and would have moved on. Also seen sellers that do this on purpose and act as if the book is special to them so they can get that extra greedy dollar. This may not be the case in this scenario but it happens.

One of these days you're going to learn how to communicate in an open forum without sounding like an utter prat. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but it will happen.

Just do us all a favour, and the next time you feel like inserting an opinion in a thread that has nothing to do with you, ignore the impulse. Move on. No one cares about your pet peeves

For those that don't know, any book with color touch or restoration will only receive a purple label if the color touch or restoration actually improves the grade of the book.

If the color touch or restoration does not improve the grade of the book, the book goes into a blue label with a notation on the label of the color touch and glue.

Are you talking only GA there, Roy? (shrug)

Sorry, yes. GA only.

:foryou:

Are you sure? I've seen lots of low grade GA books with color touch that didn't seem to improve anything. And I think we've all seen PLODs in "apparent poor" .5 condition.

becomes an issue of "quantity" of color touch or glue...if there is an obvious amount, regardless of whether it visually improves or not, then it is "restored"...if the quantity is so minor as to not affect the grade, an in theory be removable and not affect grade, this just clarifies that (from what I understand)

in other words, if someone scraped that teeny bit of glue and color touch off, it would still be a 6.5...so, cgc notes it...

If it was up to Bluechip, they'd all be in Blue labels and there would be no such thing as Restoration :insane:

It's simple commerce. Price meets point.

(shrug)

And yet, when other forumites take this approach, they are ridiculed for being a tool. There was a board member that ended up leaving here as a regular participant because he priced a Danger Girl 1 Platinum CGC 9.8 very high due to he wasn't in a rush to part with it. He was called out on it. Then, someone bought it, so now he was shilling his Ebay account (on a Buy Now no less - because that's what you shill. :screwy: ).

Go figure!

I've always thought that it was fair for an owner to ask what they want for a book.

(shrug)

The OP obviously has alot of issues that extend way past just being a dumbarse.

He's a pretty sad individual. I almost feel sorry for him.

In his WaltT incarnation, I rec'd some fairly nasty PM's from him (the posted who noted he is a racist is dead-on the money). I thought about posting them at the time, but didn't. Don't really think it will keep him from popping back up. But, I do still have those PM's.

Frankly my experience with Blue label books noting glue or very minor color touch is that they are perceived to be restored. I find them harder to sell.

Unless CGC publishes what this really means - "At the sole discretion of CGC very minor color touch or glue may be assigned a marked and color coded Universal label, however, a description of the detected restoration will be noted on the label".

My argument with the above is that there is no definitive definition of "very minor" in writing. Restored is restored and frankly sole discretion is akin to "This book has sold for years with this known restoration, we can't punish the seller if it's now put into a purple holder. I've spoken to a former head grader years ago about this. I've had the glue measurement described as a pinhead amount. Or tiny. Not sure exactly in measurement terms "tiny" falls under? Are we using CGC's Johnson measuring terms? Thereby 2-3 inches is ok?

For those that don't know, any book with color touch or restoration will only receive a purple label if the color touch or restoration actually improves the grade of the book.

If the color touch or restoration does not improve the grade of the book, the book goes into a blue label with a notation on the label of the color touch and glue.

Sorry, yes. GA only.

Are you sure? I've seen lots of low grade GA books with color touch that didn't seem to improve anything. And I think we've all seen PLODs in "apparent poor" .5 condition.

becomes an issue of "quantity" of color touch or glue...if there is an obvious amount, regardless of whether it visually improves or not, then it is "restored"...if the quantity is so minor as to not affect the grade, an in theory be removable and not affect grade, this just clarifies that (from what I understand)

in other words, if someone scraped that teeny bit of glue and color touch off, it would still be a 6.5...so, cgc notes it...

Rick, I wonder if with a 0.5 PLOD, it's simply an exception to the rule?

The book is absolutely not improvable through color touch and glue because the book is essentially incomplete and will always grade a 0.5 yet it goes into a purple holder just as a judgment call for whatever reason that CGC decided...kind of like the judgment call that they make for trimmed books. Even though trimming alone is not actual restoration, it gets a purple label so that they didn't have to have an entirely different label color for that scenario.

Here is a book that is incomplete and yet gets a purple label for having one page glued in.

And for the record.

Stand across the table with a CGC book in your hand with label notes stating minor color touch and glue and try to convince a customer that it's a blue label "Universal". And we wonder why Dealers have lousy reputations?

How about this? At my sole discretion can I determine a book on my wall to be Universal with a tiny amount of color touch or glue. Of course not, I would be selling a restored book as Unrestored which it's not even if I noted it on the label.

How about this? At my sole discretion can I determine a book on my wall to be Universal with a tiny amount of color touch or glue. Of course not, I would be selling a restored book as Unrestored which it's not even if I noted it on the label.

Amen!

When I called CGC recently (as did a few other members) to ask about graders' notes for a book with minor restoration and a blue label, it was a challenge to understand the difference between "too much restoration" versus "small amount of restoration."

Isn't it all restoration?

Sorry, yes. GA only.

Rick, I wonder if with a 0.5 PLOD, it's simply an exception to the rule?

The book is absolutely not improvable through color touch and glue because the book is essentially incomplete and will always grade a 0.5 yet it goes into a purple holder just as a judgment call for whatever reason that CGC decided...kind of like the judgment call that they make for trimmed books. Even though trimming alone is not actual restoration, it gets a purple label so that they didn't have to have an entirely different label color for that scenario.

Here is a book that is incomplete and yet gets a purple label for having one page glued in.

my guess would be enough glue was used to secure the page that it is deemed "restored"... I suspect if only a touch of glue at the staples were used to attach the page, it would not get PLOD (if that was only reason)...

.5 or 8.5...doesn't matter as long as the quantity of material (glue, c/t) is minor enough to as not affect the grade (at least that is how I understand it)...

Not owning any golden age books myself Bob, it sounds like you are saying that even though the label is blue the book is really restored, correct?

Reading the earlier post from Rick, to try and sell the blue labeled book (with glue and CT) would require a detailed explanation which, like you said, most collectors will probably not "get".

Amen!

When I called CGC recently (as did a few other members) to ask about graders' notes for a book with minor restoration and a blue label, it was a challenge to understand the difference between "too much restoration" versus "small amount of restoration."

Isn't it all restoration?

in technical terms, I would have to agree... but in realistic terms, how does adding a drop of glue "restore" a book... I think of it more as a defect...cgc'd universal label with a note of glue is not saying it is "unrestored" (they have clearly noted the glue!), simply that it is not, in their opinion, "restored" to the point that if that glue is removed, it would not affect the grade... 6 one way, half a dozen the other

Not owning any golden age books myself Bob, it sounds like you are saying that even though the label is blue the book is really restored, correct?

Reading the earlier post from Rick, to try and sell the blue labeled book (with glue and CT) would require a detailed explanation which, like you said, most collectors will probably not "get".

I have never had a problem buying and selling a blue label with notes...it is quite easy, imo...

this is the book, it is a 6.5...there is a teeny bit of glue and color touch right here, on this tear...scrape it off, it is so minor it is still a 6.5... here is the price... simple (shrug)

It is to me and frankly a majority of the buyers I was trying to sell these types of books to. I've had these types of books. Frankly I won't buy them anymore because they are restored books in blue labels. This type of label contradicts itself and frankly CGC shouldn't be making a dealers job harder when it comes to selling a book.

Frankly this type of label is the same reason why Jay Parrino complained about label comments.

He should have specified to give price when showing books. That is my one pet peeve of sellers that ask to give offer. I feel that they are just trying to see if the buyer is unknowing and leech them for every dollar they can get with maybe a bonus of ignorance dollars.

If you never pointed that out in the thread either tell them you don't do offers and to give you a price or give them serious offer.

If you did specify it then lowball them.

In this case the guy said he didnt want to get rid of book really and asked for price and that would have clued me in to that the book would probably be overpriced anyways and would have moved on. Also seen sellers that do this on purpose and act as if the book is special to them so they can get that extra greedy dollar. This may not be the case in this scenario but it happens.

To begin, it didn't matter what price Adam put on the book. Alleybat was going to try to somehow get the book with a small downpayment with a promise of future payments or some other scheme to steal it.

Second, if Adam was doing a for sale thread a price would be mandatory. Instead he was responding to someone looking for a specific book. In the WTB section, the person doing the hunting is recommended to set a price they are willing to pay. If you are posting in the WTB section and then trolling for a bargain by making people respond to you and hoping for lowball prices, you should state that in the listing. My assumption is that someone posting in the WTB section really wants a book and is willing to make at least a market-price offer. I think it is quite reasonable to ask them what they are willing to pay to help me decide if I really want to part with a book I had not planned on selling.

I have never had a problem buying and selling a blue label with notes...it is quite easy, imo...

this is the book, it is a 6.5...there is a teeny bit of glue and color touch right here, on this tear...scrape it off, it is so minor it is still a 6.5... here is the price... simple (shrug)

Thanks for the response, while the thread was started for a stupid reason I learned a lot from it. I am hoping next year to delve into the GA period and I am glad to know how CGC and dealers handle these issues.

If it's so easy then why didn't you take the risk and scrape off the minor glue and color touch? What if it was amateur? Are you willing to put a hole in the book to get rid of it? Chop of a corner? Disfigure a book? Isn't the book worth more if those notes aren't there? It is to me.

Every attempt at "restoration removal" comes with risk.

How do I get sole discretion applied to Silver age keys?

And for the record.

Stand across the table with a CGC book in your hand with label notes stating minor color touch and glue and try to convince a customer that it's a blue label "Universal". And we wonder why Dealers have lousy reputations?

(worship)

'Amount' should never come into the equation. A book either is...or it isn't restored.

And by 'restored', we shouldn't be taking into account the result of the procedures, rather what was done.

As Bob has quite rightly said, this was a 'work-around' which avoided the problem of labelling a good number of books from the best collection ever unearthed as 'restored'. Imagine how that would have got a number of 'founder dealers' squealing. :/