• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of Bronze? 9.8 White Green Lantern 76 in Heritage November Auction

145 posts in this topic

If it did have census numbers to Hulk #181 or GS X-Men #1, it would still sell for more than a "slight premium".

I totally disagree, as there is simply not the general public movie/speculator demand to keep GL/GA 76 prices anywhere near their current level if the CGC Census mushroomed to Hulk 181 levels.

I've been here almost since the forums opened, and the online hype that drove GL/GA's price to its current insane levels has always been about the issue's "incredible scarcity in high-grade" - take that factor away and make it an ultra-common book like Hulk 181 and values would fall through the floor.

If it did have census numbers to Hulk #181 or GS X-Men #1, it would still sell for more than a "slight premium".

I totally disagree, as there is simply not the general public movie/speculator demand to keep GL/GA 76 prices anywhere near their current level if the CGC Census mushroomed to Hulk 181 levels.

I've been here almost since the forums opened, and the online hype that drove GL/GA's price to its current insane levels has always been about the issue's "incredible scarcity in high-grade" - take that factor away and make it an ultra-common book like Hulk 181 and values would fall through the floor.

This is some what on my thought of my "what if" question I posted:
No doubt, this book is going to sell for good money. I think it will sell in between $38K-42K.
What is the "what if" on this book if it doesen't sell that high do the economy or other factors. We have seen on here other lower graded copies that went up & down in sales or Highest Graded book (Hero For Hire#1; SS New Mutant #98; Star Wars #1 on ebay, Hulk #181) that didn't do as hot (still making the owner a profit) as it was thought. I like GL#76 (great art & writing) but if it sells no higher then the 9.6 that was Pedigree's last auction? How bad would that hurt the lower graded copies ( :wishluck: hoping not to happen because I paid alot for my copy)? Alot of Bronze Age book sales have been so-so and like showcase22gr1959 wrote people would put more money to SC22 do to it being a first appearance, also GL76 has little to do with the first movie unless the throw Green Arrow in there some how.

Any thoughts if this was to be the thinking of bidders or if this did happen?

If people had the same thinking as JOE_COLLECTOR then could this book go the route of WWBN#32 or Hero for Hire #1 did at auction? Some of the GL76 have been going the up and down in sale prices do to centering, PQ, white stripe or not, poor timing on the site it was being auction on (shrug) , and whatever else no matter the grade on the label. I hope the book dose well and the seller will make a profit no matter how much it sells for but if it met the peak of it's hype like the Star Wars #1 "variant" or Hulk #181 did? I worry because when I was buying bronze books they didn't go higher then 9.4 or 9.6 on a lot of them now it seems a myth told to me by dealers to make a sale for high prices. People thought no way on a 9.6 showing up on this book and now look how many there are. What if people see this trend on this book and wait till 1-3 more 9.8's to show up before they buy because that is what I told some one who was going to buy a 9.6 after I saw how many them was showing up and to wait till the prices to cool before you buy.

This is some what on my thought of my "what if" question I posted:
No doubt, this book is going to sell for good money. I think it will sell in between $38K-42K.
What is the "what if" on this book if it doesen't sell that high do the economy or other factors. We have seen on here other lower graded copies that went up & down in sales or Highest Graded book (Hero For Hire#1; SS New Mutant #98; Star Wars #1 on ebay, Hulk #181) that didn't do as hot (still making the owner a profit) as it was thought. I like GL#76 (great art & writing) but if it sells no higher then the 9.6 that was Pedigree's last auction? How bad would that hurt the lower graded copies ( :wishluck: hoping not to happen because I paid alot for my copy)? Alot of Bronze Age book sales have been so-so and like showcase22gr1959 wrote people would put more money to SC22 do to it being a first appearance, also GL76 has little to do with the first movie unless the throw Green Arrow in there some how.

Any thoughts if this was to be the thinking of bidders or if this did happen?

If people had the same thinking as JOE_COLLECTOR then could this book go the route of WWBN#32 or Hero for Hire #1 did at auction? Some of the GL76 have been going the up and down in sale prices do to centering, PQ, white stripe or not, poor timing on the site it was being auction on (shrug) , and whatever else no matter the grade on the label. I hope the book dose well and the seller will make a profit no matter how much it sells for but if it met the peak of it's hype like the Star Wars #1 "variant" or Hulk #181 did? I worry because when I was buying bronze books they didn't go higher then 9.4 or 9.6 on a lot of them now it seems a myth told to me by dealers to make a sale for high prices. People thought no way on a 9.6 showing up on this book and now look how many there are. What if people see this trend on this book and wait till 1-3 more 9.8's to show up before they buy because that is what I told some one who was going to buy a 9.6 after I saw how many them was showing up and to wait till the prices to cool before you buy.

Green Lantern 76 is an important book which pre-dates Hulk 181 and Giant-size X-men 1 about five years. Due to the full green color, it is very scarce in 9.6+. I sense the 9.4 will eventually drop 20-30% from it's moving average in the coming year. Well, for the lone 9.8, it's going to go for big money. It will drop if another few magically appear in the near future.

$31,000. I'm thinking that anyone who really wants a killer copy of this book might have already paid up for one of the 9.6s.

I'm also thinking about the 9.4 and 9.6 copies of Showcase #4 that sold in the last couple years. The 9.4 sold first for $160k, I think. A bit later, the 9.6 sold for $179k. I'm sure there are more guys willing to spend $30-40k on a book than six figures, but I still think the recent 9.6 sales might eliminate some potential buyers.

$31,000. I'm thinking that anyone who really wants a killer copy of this book might have already paid up for one of the 9.6s.

That's what I'm thinking. $30K was seen as the benchmark price it took to own the best at the time.

That's what I'm thinking. $30K was seen as the benchmark price it took to own the best at the time.

Considering that $35K was a jaw-dropping amount when the 1st 9.6 copy sold for that much, I would think that $30K-ish for a 9.8 SHOULD be perfectly reasonable. However, since when have crazed collectors been reasonable? The $35K for the 9.6 copy may have set an unreasonable benchmark, but nonetheless it did set a benchmark and indicated the lengths some collectors were willing to go to acquire the book. The craziness moves to a whole different level when talking about 9.8.

I think this is a prime book for a holder of a 9.6. If I was willing to shell out all the thousands of $$$ for a 9.6, how could I pass up a chance at a 9.8 knowing I could sell the 9.6 for some cash flow?

Even knowing that I will lose money on the 9.6 when I resell it.

I already upgrade books knowing I can get some cash back from selling the under copy.

For the record, this book is very over valued.

Ithis thread is about the 1st 9.8 Green Lantern 76. If you want to talk about the 1st bronze age book, how unimportant the DC Adams books are etc, go bump the other 25 threads where you stated the same junk for however many years.

Gee CrazyTeddie, I didn't realize you had just purchased CGC and could fully control everything on the boards - amazing news story - when's it being posted?

I think you need to rethink who you are calling crazy JoeC. He pretty much just summed up your repetitive arguments against GL #76 in every other thread. Could he have done it a bit more subtly, possibly, but every time there is a GL #76 thread you start with the same rant.

Take a look at the multiples that the way more common higher demand Batman and Detective issues carry and you will see that they are more than "slight" even though they are readily available. Heck, look at the premium on the more common Adams X-Men and Avengers issues as well. GL #76 would still carry a higher premium in high grade even if it were more common due to the Neal Adams cover and interior alone. Would a 9.6 have hit $30K? Definitely not, but it would likely be a $3K - $5K book with higher census numbers which is still a hefty premium.

I think this is a prime book for a holder of a 9.6. If I was willing to shell out all the thousands of $$$ for a 9.6, how could I pass up a chance at a 9.8 knowing I could sell the 9.6 for some cash flow?

Even knowing that I will lose money on the 9.6 when I resell it.

I already upgrade books knowing I can get some cash back from selling the under copy.

For the record, this book is very over valued.

I wonder how many 9.6 holders are considering to go for the 9.8 and dump their under copy. hm

Take a look at the multiples that the way more common higher demand Batman and Detective issues carry and you will see that they are more than "slight" even though they are readily available.

I must be looking at different issues than you, because none of them even approach the Census numbers of Hulk 181 - could you post a link to these Bats/Tec Adams issues with similar Census numbers?

You can try to talk trash all you want, but this book is way cooler than any high-grade copy of Hulk 181 or GS X-Men 1. I'm talking about this particular comic, the only 9.8 on the census, with white pages. It will never ever come close to the crazy population numbers of more popular Marvel issues... and that's why I love it.

Agreed, and if you're a speculator who wants the "highest CGC graded copy" of a BA book, then go for it, and I actually respect your candor in admitting that the low Census numbers are your main concern, and not the book itself.

It's refreshing to see people openly state their motives rather than hiding behind "the Census doesn't matter - it could be as common as Hulk 181 and I'd still pay $50K for the "importance" alone". BS. doh!

It's refreshing to see people openly state their motives rather than hiding behind "the Census doesn't matter - it could be as common as Hulk 181 and I'd still pay $50K for the "importance" alone".

Who said that? Actually, who said anything close to that?

I think everyone here is in agreement that the reason for the insane prices on GL#76 is due to the relative scarcity in HG.

Yes, alot of us think that it's an important book. I don't recall anyone saying it's more important than either Hulk 181 or GSX 1.

Is it the start of the BA? Maybe.

Is it the most important book of the BA? No.

Would it fetch a premium if there were lots more copies in the census? I think so. But not near the premium people have paid/currently pay.

It's refreshing to see people openly state their motives rather than hiding behind "the Census doesn't matter - it could be as common as Hulk 181 and I'd still pay $50K for the "importance" alone".

Who said that? Actually, who said anything close to that?

I think everyone here is in agreement that the reason for the insane prices on GL#76 is due to the relative scarcity in HG.

Yes, alot of us think that it's an important book. I don't recall anyone saying it's more important than either Hulk 181 or GSX 1.

Is it the start of the BA? Maybe.

Is it the most important book of the BA? No.

Would it fetch a premium if there were lots more copies in the census? I think so. But not near the premium people have paid/currently pay.

reFRESHing