• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of Bronze? 9.8 White Green Lantern 76 in Heritage November Auction

145 posts in this topic

If I was in the market for this book (I'm not), I would have a hard time going more than $30k. As a high grade collector that has overpaid for single highest graded 9.8 Bronze books, I am starting to learn my lesson. This book will lose value when the next 9.8 shows up (and one will) and the buyer of this book must know this for bronze age 9.8s.

This is a $30K book. But Heritage might be able to hype it to $40K.

Congrats to whoever consigned it.

Joe called it a few years ago... he sold his 9.6 for a great price when he knew it was the right time to sell this book.

But you would think that the seller could realize a higher profit on any other site BUT Heritage. Clink would take 10% and has a 3% buyer's premium, for example and I want to say that Comicconnect is 10% sellers premium and no buyer's premium, while Heritage has 20% for BOTH buyers and sellers. Thus if the book sells for $48K on Heritage the seller will actually take home only $32K (all Heritage sales prices have the buyers fee calculated into them), while a $40K sale on Clink or CC will actually net the seller more money.

But you would think that the seller could realize a higher profit on any other site BUT Heritage. Clink would take 10% and has a 3% buyer's premium, for example and I want to say that Comicconnect is 10% sellers premium and no buyer's premium, while Heritage has 20% for BOTH buyers and sellers. Thus if the book sells for $48K on Heritage the seller will actually take home only $32K (all Heritage sales prices have the buyers fee calculated into them), while a $40K sale on Clink or CC will actually net the seller more money.

there's no chance the seller is paying Heritage 20% on that book. no chance. i'd be surprised to find out that he wasn't able to negotiate the sellers premium to zippo.

there's no chance the seller is paying Heritage 20% on that book. no chance. i'd be surprised to find out that he wasn't able to negotiate the sellers premium to zippo.

OK, but you are still looking at buyers taking a 20% hit even if the seller premium is zip. And why would Heritage throw away the commission on a (to them) inexpensive book. When you sell million dollar items a $40K book is chump change.

OK, but you are still looking at buyers taking a 20% hit even if the seller premium is zip. And why would Heritage throw away the commission on a (to them) inexpensive book. When you sell million dollar items a $40K book is chump change.

and using that logic, why would they even have comic book auctions but for 2 or 3 books a year?

and using that logic, why would they even have comic book auctions but for 2 or 3 books a year?

Um, to make money maybe? Auction houses must sell things and get commissions by doing so to make money. They sell lots of comics to pay the bills. And giving a seller commission of zero on $40K books isn't going to help them make their bottom line. The seller may have negotiated a lower commission, but I would doubt that they got zero. Heritage would give the seller of something like the 8.0 Detective #27 low or no commissions because the publicity that that sale generated outside the small group of dedicated comic buffs more than paid off. Heritage won't get that kind of headline-generating publicity outside the hobby with this book.

You are paying for the Hype factor with Heritage; they do a good job with building up on HG or key older books that they group all together in a super auction to get the most money. Comic Connect is the 2nd best in doing this on getting great prices on your books and ComicLink & Pedigree are tied do to that I see "we" on here kind find the books and help with the hyping or with some people the un-hyping of books if they are not Golden or Silver age books.

$31,000. I'm thinking that anyone who really wants a killer copy of this book might have already paid up for one of the 9.6s.

I'm also thinking about the 9.4 and 9.6 copies of Showcase #4 that sold in the last couple years. The 9.4 sold first for $160k, I think. A bit later, the 9.6 sold for $179k. I'm sure there are more guys willing to spend $30-40k on a book than six figures, but I still think the recent 9.6 sales might eliminate some potential buyers.

I think the seller is smart to sell while the last 9.6 white page that was on Pedigree sold for $25,000.00; you dealers know you got to strike while it is hot or just off a hot sale to keep the Hype fresh in buyer's mind who missed out on that last book. Also I learned fast from paying mad :insane: money to own the single highest grade is to not to hold it to long because it will lose steam with time or another will show up and lose money.

Um, to make money maybe? Auction houses must sell things and get commissions by doing so to make money. They sell lots of comics to pay the bills. And giving a seller commission of zero on $40K books isn't going to help them make their bottom line. The seller may have negotiated a lower commission, but I would doubt that they got zero. Heritage would give the seller of something like the 8.0 Detective #27 low or no commissions because the publicity that that sale generated outside the small group of dedicated comic buffs more than paid off. Heritage won't get that kind of headline-generating publicity outside the hobby with this book.

my question was sarcastically rhetorical.

my question was sarcastically rhetorical.

doh! well not my first time I messed up on a GL forum.

Heritage has to deal. They don't have a hold on the market anymore and if they don't compete that won't get books. A 40K book is a major book. There aren't many of those sold per auction. The most expensive book in the last CL auction was 15K. If Heritage holds a hard line on pricing I think they will quickly find their selves relegated to the back of the pack. Pedigree, Comicconnect, and Comic Link have demostrated they can get top dollar for big time books.

If it did have census numbers to Hulk #181 or GS X-Men #1, it would still sell for more than a "slight premium".

I totally disagree, as there is simply not the general public movie/speculator demand to keep GL/GA 76 prices anywhere near their current level if the CGC Census mushroomed to Hulk 181 levels.

I've been here almost since the forums opened, and the online hype that drove GL/GA's price to its current insane levels has always been about the issue's "incredible scarcity in high-grade" - take that factor away and make it an ultra-common book like Hulk 181 and values would fall through the floor.

Dumb- that is the whole point. It is a scarce book. No one contends it would get the same price as IH 181 or GSX 1 if it had the same census numbers, so don't feel threatened.

And you really have to be a genius to know that a book with only one 9.8 copy would dramitically take a plunge in price if it suddenly had 36 9.8 copies and 1 9.9 copy. You are beyond belief. Thanks for that heads up on that one.

Take a look at the multiples that the way more common higher demand Batman and Detective issues carry and you will see that they are more than "slight" even though they are readily available.

I must be looking at different issues than you, because none of them even approach the Census numbers of Hulk 181 - could you post a link to these Bats/Tec Adams issues with similar Census numbers?

What I am saying is that your comment regarding a "slight" premium is wrong in any valuation metric I know. Basically, a slight premium is what, 20 - 30% above guide (fwiw, I know dealers/sellers that buy at up to 20% off of GPA). A lot of the common Bats and Tecs do much better than that in 9.4 and above. They may not have similar numbers to common Marvels like Hulk #181, but they are still plentiful in 9.4 and above and carry a decent multiple for very common in high grade BA DCs.

It's refreshing to see people openly state their motives rather than hiding behind "the Census doesn't matter - it could be as common as Hulk 181 and I'd still pay $50K for the "importance" alone".

Who said that? Actually, who said anything close to that?

I think everyone here is in agreement that the reason for the insane prices on GL#76 is due to the relative scarcity in HG.

Yes, alot of us think that it's an important book. I don't recall anyone saying it's more important than either Hulk 181 or GSX 1.

Is it the start of the BA? Maybe.

Is it the most important book of the BA? No.

Would it fetch a premium if there were lots more copies in the census? I think so. But not near the premium people have paid/currently pay.

It's kind of disorienting to read totally rational threads on these boards. (thumbs u

First, let me say that I wouldn't sell this on Heritage either.

However, having said that, have you actually ever sold anything on Heritage or negotiated seller's commission/buyer's premium with them? If not, then stop speculating because most of what you're saying is not factually supported.

I think the seller is smart to sell while the last 9.6 white page that was on Pedigree sold for $25,000.00

When a book is going for serious money and the high price is driven by perceived scarcity, the overwhelming evidence from recent years is that it definitely pays to be a first mover and be the first one to sell a new top census book.

First, let me say that I wouldn't sell this on Heritage either.

However, having said that, have you actually ever sold anything on Heritage or negotiated seller's commission/buyer's premium with them? If not, then stop speculating because most of what you're saying is not factually supported.

No, I haven't ever sold anything on Heritage but I have bought a couple of books. But actually in this case I think it would be safer to speculate that the seller didn't get a break on commissions and paid the regular rate (my supposition) rather than the post that I was replying to that Heritage would waive their fees on this book. I was speculating, yes, but I was simply countering other speculation with my more conservative assumption.

And do they negotiate buyer's premiums as you suggested? I can't imagine that a buyer would have much leverage to negotiate what they will pay, but since you jumped on me about factual support I am assuming you have had success in those sorts of negotiations.