• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of Bronze? 9.8 White Green Lantern 76 in Heritage November Auction

145 posts in this topic

No doubt, this book is going to sell for good money. I think it will sell in between $38K-42K. It if sells near $50K, I would put my money in a SC22 9.0 which is Hal first appearance and is ten years older. There has not been a SC22 in 7.0+ in the census for over a year now.

The value of GL 76 isn't driven by the characters. This comparison doesn't work.

I buy bronze books, not as much as I used to but I have a bunch. That being said does it not sound absolutely ridiculous that any bronze book (I think this is by far the best one btw) is even sniffing 40 let alone 30K ?

I can`t even understand $3K, let alone $30K!

I buy bronze books, not as much as I used to but I have a bunch. That being said does it not sound absolutely ridiculous that any bronze book (I think this is by far the best one btw) is even sniffing 40 let alone 30K ?

This is not even close to the "best" Bronze Age book, it's just been hyped as "ultra scarce in high-grade" for so long that people seem to pay nosebleed prices out of habit.

But both GS X-Men #1 and Hulk 181 are far higher on the "best" BA list, using virtually any metric available, other than the seemingly all-important "it *must* have Neal Adams art". lol

This is not even close to the "best" Bronze Age book, it's just been hyped as "ultra scarce in high-grade" for so long that people seem to pay nosebleed prices out of habit.

But both GS X-Men #1 and Hulk 181 are far higher on the "best" BA list, using virtually any metric available, other than the seemingly all-important "it *must* have Neal Adams art". lol

What metric is that?

The other factor to consider is that there are hundreds of high grade copies of GSX #1 and Hulk #181, and many more 9.8s in particular than with GL76. I'm not arguing that the GL76 is a $40K book (I don't think it should be) but it certainly ought to command higher prices based on relative scarcity at 9.8 than those other two Bronze keys.

Edit: I should say higher "relative" prices. There are plenty of Bronze books that are lone 9.8 copies that will never be $1000 books let alone $40K books. But if the market values GL76 that highly then yes, the 9.8 ought to get multiples that are relatively higher than those paid for the GSX #1 and Hulk #181 that are much more common in grade.

What metric is that?

Dan, :troll:

;)

What metric is that?

I'd assume it's based on the "Deluded Adams Fanboy Syndrome", where if a book, no matter its unimportance, is revered simply because Neal Adams did the art for it. If the book has even a modicum of hobby importance *and* Adams drew it, then watch out baby!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like Adams art and think he's at the top of the comics field, but I just can't understand the total adulation and hero-worship some have for him.

Don't get me wrong, I like Adams art and think he's at the top of the comics field, but I just can't understand the total adulation and hero-worship some have for him.

I don't get that either. (shrug)

The other factor to consider is that there are hundreds of high grade copies of GSX #1 and Hulk #181, and many more 9.8s in particular than with GL76.

Umm, I guess you missed my "it's just been hyped as "ultra scarce in high-grade" for so long that people seem to pay nosebleed prices out of habit." comment right at the start.

Obviously, the main reason why GL/GA 76 continues to break price records in CGC high-grade is due perceived and real scarcity (followed in second by its Adams art) - if its Census numbers were similar to Hulk 181 or GS X-Men 1, we wouldn't be having this conversation and the book would be sold at a slight premium and sought after mostly by Adams completists.

The other factor to consider is that there are hundreds of high grade copies of GSX #1 and Hulk #181, and many more 9.8s in particular than with GL76.

Umm, I guess you missed my "it's just been hyped as "ultra scarce in high-grade" for so long that people seem to pay nosebleed prices out of habit." comment right at the start.

Obviously, the main reason why GL/GA 76 continues to break price records in CGC high-grade is due perceived and real scarcity (followed in second by its Adams art) - if its Census numbers were similar to Hulk 181 or GS X-Men 1, we wouldn't be having this conversation and the book would be sold at a slight premium and sought after mostly by Adams completists.

If it did have census numbers to Hulk #181 or GS X-Men #1, it would still sell for more than a "slight premium". :baiting:

I don't know why I'm responding but I figure once in my time on the boards I'll give it a go. You know what's hilarious is that you are the biggest, saddest fanboy of them all. Going out of your way to bring your beloved X-Men books into a discussion that has nothing to do with them.

If you read what I wrote it specifically stated "I", meaning personally speaking. Also included the word "think", again stating personal preference. But of course what results is the typical, over the top, nonsensical statements because someone dare offend the importance of Hulk 181, GS X-Men 1, and I'm still waiting for Conan 1. Here's a hint, nobody gives a mess, this thread is about the 1st 9.8 Green Lantern 76. If you want to talk about the 1st bronze age book, how unimportant the DC Adams books are etc, go bump the other 25 threads where you stated the same junk for however many years.

Also trying to figure the difference between "best" and "important". I assume they mean the same thing ?

Ithis thread is about the 1st 9.8 Green Lantern 76. If you want to talk about the 1st bronze age book, how unimportant the DC Adams books are etc, go bump the other 25 threads where you stated the same junk for however many years.

Gee CrazyTeddie, I didn't realize you had just purchased CGC and could fully control everything on the boards - amazing news story - when's it being posted?