• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of Bronze? 9.8 White Green Lantern 76 in Heritage November Auction

145 posts in this topic

Has anyone commenting actually held the book?

Yes, I have held this book. And, I 've seen a few other collections with multiple, original owner 76s in them.... where a 9.6 emerged. This copy is definitely better.

I respect where you're coming from too. I just think that the book is definitely a 9.8 and words like "suspect" are pretty harsh and do not apply here. If you wanted to critique the 9.6 in the Heritage auction, you'd find me quite in agreement.

Yikes, I just looked at the alleged 9.6 and I would certainly agree that it is problematic...

That is a stunner of a book and deserving the 9.8 IMO. You can argue about bindery tears all day, but CGC has been very consistent about allowing them in uber high grades. If that's not your thing, fine. But that is a CGC 9.8 through and through. Those color breaks on the spine you refer to are scratches on the case. There is one very minute stress line at the lower staple, but the scan is huge and amplifying the flaw.

Yup.

The two top white marks by the L in Lantern are printing.

The corners are sharp.

I see one color breaking stress at the bottom staple, one barely color breaking ding in the middle of the spine and a slight bump at the bottom of the spine. Of course, with the book magnified it looks worse than it is.

Killer book and definitely would have a hard time seeing it in a 9.6 holder. This is a 9.8 all day long.

Very imPRESSive.

I believe this is the 1,058,429th time you've used this "joke". I would have thought your superior intellect would be capable of coming up with something new by now.

When scammers stop pressing, I'll stop commenting on it.

9.8, white pages, and very nicely centered. :cloud9:

Well, except for the white stripe running down the spine.

saw that coming a mile away

I really envy people who don`t care about big white stripes, crooked or straight.

9.8, white pages, and very nicely centered. :cloud9:

Well, except for the white stripe running down the spine.

saw that coming a mile away

I really envy people who don`t care about big white stripes, crooked or straight.

Agreed, and I can't count the number of high-grade Picture Frame books I've "upgraded" simply for no other reason than my original copy having a white border.

I buy them as placeholders if there's nothing else available, but I cannot understand why anyone would pay a premium for a miscut book. In coins and sportscards, poor manufacturing precludes these from the higher grades (as they should be) so I'm not going to change my collecting habits just because CGC is the lone abstainer.

No doubt, this book is going to sell for good money. I think it will sell in between $38K-42K. It if sells near $50K, I would put my money in a SC22 9.0 which is Hal first appearance and is ten years older. There has not been a SC22 in 7.0+ in the census for over a year now.

No doubt, this book is going to sell for good money. I think it will sell in between $38K-42K.
What is the "what if" on this book if it doesen't sell that high do the economy or other factors. We have seen on here other lower graded copies that went up & down in sales or Highest Graded book (Hero For Hire#1; SS New Mutant #98; Star Wars #1 on ebay, Hulk #181) that didn't do as hot (still making the owner a profit) as it was thought. I like GL#76 (great art & writing) but if it sells no higher then the 9.6 that was Pedigree's last auction? How bad would that hurt the lower graded copies ( :wishluck: hoping not to happen because I paid alot for my copy)? Alot of Bronze Age book sales have been so-so and like showcase22gr1959 wrote people would put more money to SC22 do to it being a first appearance, also GL76 has little to do with the first movie unless the throw Green Arrow in there some how.

Any thoughts if this was to be the thinking of bidders or if this did happen?

No doubt, this book is going to sell for good money. I think it will sell in between $38K-42K.
What is the "what if" on this book if it doesen't sell that high do the economy or other factors. We have seen on here other lower graded copies that went up & down in sales or Highest Graded book (Hero For Hire#1; SS New Mutant #98; Star Wars #1 on ebay, Hulk #181) that didn't do as hot (still making the owner a profit) as it was thought. I like GL#76 (great art & writing) but if it sells no higher then the 9.6 that was Pedigree's last auction? How bad would that hurt the lower graded copies ( :wishluck: hoping not to happen because I paid alot for my copy)? Alot of Bronze Age book sales have been so-so and like showcase22gr1959 wrote people would put more money to SC22 do to it being a first appearance, also GL76 has little to do with the first movie unless the throw Green Arrow in there some how.

What did the 9.6 sell for?

What did the 9.6 sell for?

actually the last copy on pedigree went for $25k, the following 9.6 on CC went for $18,500 (miswrapped).