• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of Bronze? 9.8 White Green Lantern 76 in Heritage November Auction

145 posts in this topic

And are those stress marks just to the left of the bottom of the L in Lantern? I always love looking at scans of 9.8s and seeing stress marks...

Edit: Looking at the Heritage scan those probably aren't stresses, but there are other light stress down the spine. The lower staple hole on the bottom staple looks particularly dicey. If I were in the market for this book I don't think that this would be a copy I would chase. Very suspect 9.8 IMHO.

There's nothing suspect about this book. It's been in a box for 30+ years in ideal storage conditions and looks as good as the day it was born. There aren't any stress marks on this book.... read the Heritage description. If you really wanted a copy of this book, it's definitely the best one to ever come to market... bar none. If you're holding out for one without the white stripe, I can understand. You'll probably never see it though. The back cover and interior is amazingly fresh and bright, like it was printed yesterday. And, if you'd seen the 9.4 and 9.6 under-copies the owner had, you'd appreciate this book even more. I've hunted a Green Lantern 76 in this grade for years and when I saw this copy, I was blown away. Too bad I'm just a working man and can't afford this level of book.

It's a beautiful book. Looks like a solid 9.8 to me. You could post a scan of the Mile High Action #1 or the Allentown Detective #27 and I bet the people would still be pointing out flaws. I guess it's just the nature of the hobby.

Considering how long it took for a 9.6 to surface, I always thought this would be the one bronze key to never hit 9.8.

I wish I was the consignor.

And are those stress marks just to the left of the bottom of the L in Lantern? I always love looking at scans of 9.8s and seeing stress marks...

Edit: Looking at the Heritage scan those probably aren't stresses, but there are other light stress down the spine. The lower staple hole on the bottom staple looks particularly dicey. If I were in the market for this book I don't think that this would be a copy I would chase. Very suspect 9.8 IMHO.

There's nothing suspect about this book. It's been in a box for 30+ years in ideal storage conditions and looks as good as the day it was born. There aren't any stress marks on this book.... read the Heritage description.

I did read the Heritage description, actually, and while the description caught what I initially described as stress and then corrected myself it doesn't talk about the rest of the spine. The Heritage description also mentions the sharp OUTER corners and neatly sidesteps the bindery tears on the spine corners. Take a look at their giant scan and tell me that you don't see color breaks in the black strip down the spine. It may just be my monitor, but I see several. Check out the area around that bottom staple and see if it looks perfect to you.

Has anyone commenting actually held the book? I am commenting on scans (very big ones though) so I may be mistaken by artifacts or my monitor. If you have seen the book live and in person then that is different.

I'm not saying that it isn't a pretty book, because obviously it is. I'm just a little concerned with the tightness of this 9.8. I hold 9.8 to a very high standard of looking just about freakin' perfect, and this book doesn't hit that standard for me. If it does for you then feel free to spend the GDP of Swaziland to get a 9.6 book in a 9.8 holder. As soon as another 9.6 is pressed into a 9.8 holder this book will be worth half of whatever the hammer price is anyway (especially once you add in the taxes and the various premiums added on).

That is a stunner of a book and deserving the 9.8 IMO. You can argue about bindery tears all day, but CGC has been very consistent about allowing them in uber high grades. If that's not your thing, fine. But that is a CGC 9.8 through and through. Those color breaks on the spine you refer to are scratches on the case. There is one very minute stress line at the lower staple, but the scan is huge and amplifying the flaw.

That is a stunner of a book and deserving the 9.8 IMO. You can argue about bindery tears all day, but CGC has been very consistent about allowing them in uber high grades. If that's not your thing, fine. But that is a CGC 9.8 through and through. Those color breaks on the spine you refer to are scratches on the case. There is one very minute stress line at the lower staple, but the scan is huge and amplifying the flaw.

+1

save me the hassle of typing everything after looking at the scans on Heritage.

Has anyone commenting actually held the book?

Yes, I have held this book. And, I 've seen a few other collections with multiple, original owner 76s in them.... where a 9.6 emerged. This copy is definitely better.

I respect where you're coming from too. I just think that the book is definitely a 9.8 and words like "suspect" are pretty harsh and do not apply here. If you wanted to critique the 9.6 in the Heritage auction, you'd find me quite in agreement.

No worries. As I said I'm only going off the scan. If you've held the book you are in the better position to comment.