• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scammed on E-Bay

105 posts in this topic

Odd way to introduce yourself here IMO. I really dont know what there is to think about here. The listing clearly states "THERE ARE NO CRACKS OR CHIPS IN THE CASE."

If there are three broken posts the item was mis-represented and I would send it back reagardless and ask for a full refund including shipping. Just my opinion. He has a good feedback record and I dont think he wants to risk getting a negative dropped on him for a book like this. Send it back. Case closed.

DR.X

That is too easy. There MUST be some serious name calling and

dogpisin, otherwise the drama is lacking. :signofftopic:rantrant

Odd way to introduce yourself here IMO. I really dont know what there is to think about here. The listing clearly states "THERE ARE NO CRACKS OR CHIPS IN THE CASE."

If there are three broken posts the item was mis-represented and I would send it back reagardless and ask for a full refund including shipping. Just my opinion. He has a good feedback record and I dont think he wants to risk getting a negative dropped on him for a book like this. Send it back. Case closed.

DR.X

That is too easy. There MUST be some serious name calling and

dogpisin, otherwise the drama is lacking. :signofftopic:rantrant

I agree, but we may have to call in the Dice man for that.

DR.X

I was really hoping you guys would tell me that the dealer and I could have been wrong, didn't know I needed a minimum post count to be taken seriously. Told you I am new to this, and its your decision on who you are comfortable buying from, just relating my experience.

I haven't opened a dispute with E-bay because due to the sellers reply, I got he impression he would try to make the same case to E-Bay that I am defending myself from here, mainly that a highly rated seller would scam a new guy, and its not me trying something fishy.

DR.X

(thumbs u [font:Impact]NEXT!!![/font]

I was really hoping you guys would tell me that the dealer and I could have been wrong,

" Could have been wrong". ...........about what? You cleary see there are scuffs on the case and three broken posts. I dont know what kind of back up you need here. Contact the seller and politely tell him it has three broken posts and the case is scuffed, and you are sending it back. Its all pretty simple. doh!

DR.X

As I said in my first post, I could be wrong as its an older slab, and I thought maybe they weren't made the same as the new ones, hence the difference without it being a scam.

I will contact the seller again and see if he will take it back, if his stance remains the same, the slab is free to anyone here that wants it. I'm doing this as an investment, if I'm not comfortable selling it, I have no use for it.

Maybe in the hands of a more seasoned collector this slab will tell a better story.

My pics were better than the pic I had to use to make my bidding decision off of!! All I have is a smartphone, they don't take good pics, I'm not a seller, I didn't think buying comics needed a high res camera lol

Yes but how do you expect us to give you an accurate appraisal without a proper picture.I'm not going to assume! The one pick you have of the full slab shows the blue label intact if the book was cracked out would'nt the blue label be cut away from the inner well? If you feel uneasy about your transaction just send it back! (shrug)

It closed at 22.95 and other that the high shipping

Did he send it boxed priority mail? If so, $11.00 isn't "high shipping". If you look at the label, the exact amount he paid for shipping will be on there. I double-box my slabs, and once you add in the weight of packing materials my boxes usually run about $12.

Now if he sent it via Media Mail in an envelope, yeah you got gypped.

Yes it was boxed priority mail, and I only meant the $11 was alot in relation to a $23 book. I don't mind paying for shipping so long as I get what I thought I was getting, but when theres question of a slabs integrity and I have to spend half of my purchase price in shipping to return an item, thats pricey.

Anyway, in the one pic you can see the blue label is all "wavy" for lack of a better descriptive word, it appears to be just shoved in the slab, not attached to the interior well.

When I first e-mailed the seller, and told him I would have to ruin his perfect feedback if the dealer determined the case was tampered with, I expected him to offer to back the item back, when he didn't is when I got upset.

E-Bay buyers protection is a waste of time, and since I paid out of the checking act, no recourse there either. The only card I had to make this right is threatening to leave him bad feedback to which he seemed indifferent.

Ideally, I would rather learn how to avoid this and other sellers like this in the future rather than have to defend myself over a half hours pay. But in my opinion, it seems pretty clear why it would have happened. If I am a seller, I'm hurting for money, and if I am having trouble selling an item for what I paid for it, seems to me that would be the item most sellers would try to scam on trying not to lose money on their end of the deal. And If I were to scam on E-Bay, I would use one of the sellers feedback generators to artificially boost my feedback, scam a new guy and when it comes down to the "He said" "she said" as to who cracked open the case, I would point to my high feedback and turn in around on the other guy.

My cousin is an E-Bay scam seller, I've seen her pull stunts like that constantly. Ended up getting into a fight over it and stopped talking, E-bay doesn't gave a damn, and whenever she got the boot from E-Bay, just make a new account and use a feedback generator and got right back into it.

It doesn't matter if you paid out of your checking account, you can file a dispute with paypal. Yes, they may make you jump through more hoops, but it's not like you're S.O.L.

If the guys at Zapp say the case was tampered with I'll take them at their word. Not that they're slab experts or anything, but they seem to be pretty straight shooters.

I cannot fathom why anyone would bother doing this with a $5-10 book in a $23 case. perhaps the case was dropped, the posts cracked, the book messed up a bit and someone tried to put it all back together again?

DR.X

(thumbs u