• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! michael scheer collection

105 posts in this topic

It's hard to believe that he couldn't sell these on Comic Link for a lot less than the 40% Heritage charges. I'll never understand why people use them for comics when there are so many other, cheaper venues.

Mike

heritage charges 40 % commish??

The buyer pays 20% and so does the seller, or something like that. Maybe someone else here knows the exact amounts.

Mike

the buyer can negotiate and would likely pay next to nothing for this consignment

It's hard to believe that he couldn't sell these on Comic Link for a lot less than the 40% Heritage charges. I'll never understand why people use them for comics when there are so many other, cheaper venues.

Mike

The buyer pays 20% and so does the seller, or something like that. Maybe someone else here knows the exact amounts.

Mike

the buyer can negotiate...

I hear they charge more for DC junk than they do for Marvel.

Eh, I can understand the occasional error / typo / etc. I spent three years as a high school English teacher and 5 years as a college English teacher (now full-time), so I guess a few mistakes here and there are less egregious to me than the numerous bastardizations I am inundated with in the papers I read on a daily basis. So, if it's pretty close to the mark, I tend not to stress on it. Shoot! I've made my fair share of typos now and then as well.

Total disregard for grammar though? Well...good luck being understood.

And I've always felt the 20% premium Heritage charges buyers HAS to weed out some potential bidders. On the other hand, there are many auction sites that charge a comparable fee OR have minimum bids to get participate in an auction (i.e. all bids start at $100 or more). Each auction house has its own rules so caveat emptor (or something like that :) )

I know this is off topic, but I am curious if you do see a lot more students who can't correctly formulate their thoughts on paper due to "slang" that has now become apart of their written language.

Up until two years ago, I was responsible for recruitment into all areas of the company I worked for.

The standard of CV and covering letter was abysmal, both being littered with slang and text-speak.

Trust me, this sort of thing will be the death of civilisation.

Mike

Mike

the buyer can negotiate and would likely pay next to nothing for this consignment

oh, lordy. meant to say "the seller can negotiate..." - now i'm immortalized in wrongness

Mike

Mike

the buyer can negotiate...

oh, lordy. meant to say "the seller can negotiate..." - now i'm immortalized in wrongness

Fixed. Now you fix your quote....

lol

OK, after many, many years of putting up with this...

Would it ing kill you to post in English, with punctuation and stuff?

Are you posting while 'catching a wave'?

If not, put some ing effort in. (tsk)

I'm just grateful that he's not doing it in all caps anymore.

I'm just grateful that he's not doing it in all caps anymore.

Small mercies and all that. :insane:

Up until two years ago, I was responsible for recruitment into all areas of the company I worked for.

The standard of CV and covering letter was abysmal, both being littered with slang and text-speak.

i have highlighted in bold what i agree with entirely, however did you post the rest with a straight face or your tongue firmly planted in cheek?

i have read through some of your posts which would seem to contain the word a lot and numerous profanities.

This is not slang in your book, and therefore acceptable?

or is it a case of don't do as i do, do as i say?

i have highlighted in bold what i agree with entirely, however did you post the rest with a straight face or your tongue firmly planted in cheek?

i have read through some of your posts which would seem to contain the word a lot and numerous profanities.

Isn't purposefully throwing in a slang word "for effect" different than missing every capital letter (except one) in a paragraph?

Isn't purposefully throwing in a slang word "for effect" different than missing every capital letter (except one) in a paragraph?

I have highlighted in bold what i agree with entirely, however did you post the rest with a straight face or your tongue firmly planted in cheek?

I have read through some of your posts which would seem to contain the word a lot and numerous profanities.

Or is it a case of don't do as i do, do as i say?

Fixed.

Touche

:roflmao:

It is just a comic message board....I understood his post just fine. I really find no need for this comment. Not everyone can be like you.....

What? Literate and respectful of the written word?

Like...oh, I don't know hm ...in comics themselves?

I actually wish FT would come to the US and teach grammar to some of our children in school. The slang that I see in written form nowadays from younger people I can barely understand, especially on Facebook.

Hey Joanna! :hi:

I get immensely irritated with this sort of thing because...

(a) on a message board, the written word is the sole means of communication. No hand gestures, no posture, no body language...what you type of the only way of conveying nuance, emphasis and true meaning.

(b) we are here because we have a love for writers who took great care to meticulously craft their language in order to convey powerful and meaningful sentiments.

© lazy-arse txt speak and 'hip posting' is for cretins. (thumbs u

Agreed! (thumbs u

Eh, I can understand the occasional error / typo / etc. I spent three years as a high school English teacher and 5 years as a college English teacher (now full-time), so I guess a few mistakes here and there are less egregious to me than the numerous bastardizations I am inundated with in the papers I read on a daily basis. So, if it's pretty close to the mark, I tend not to stress on it. Shoot! I've made my fair share of typos now and then as well.

Call me hard- but any paper delivered to me has to contains proper grammar, style and no typos and be understandable. It's part of the grading scale of any written assignment and I will deduct points for typos, repeated words and the inevitable: it's / its, there / they're / their, then / than, you're / your, ... errors. Fair's fair, they were warned. :sumo:

I am only their instructor so the penalty is not too harsh, they should be happy I am not their boss as I would still insist on it for non-draft deliverables.

N.B.: They can spit on my grave all they want once I'm gone.

lol Bear in mind, I'm talking about grammar on the message board. My students? Even the college students in my developmental English courses even get to "enjoy" a week-long unit on grammar and sentence structure. And while organization, development, and the thesis are weighted much more heavily, grammar most certainly counts. ;)

Call me hard- but any paper delivered to me has to contains proper grammar, style and no typos and be understandable. It's part of the grading scale of any written assignment and I will deduct points for typos, repeated words and the inevitable: it's / its, there / they're / their, then / than, you're / your, ... errors. Fair's fair, they were warned. :sumo:

I am only their instructor so the penalty is not too harsh, they should be happy I am not their boss as I would still insist on it for non-draft deliverables.

N.B.: They can spit on my grave all they want once I'm gone.

lol Bear in mind, I'm talking about grammar on the message board. My students? Even the college students in my developmental English courses even get to "enjoy" a week-long unit on grammar and sentence structure. And while organization, development, and the thesis are weighted much more heavily, grammar most certainly counts. ;)

Is "My students?" a proper sentence?