• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brock and Board, Where are we now? An Update........

491 posts in this topic

I think this is being made out to be bigger than it is.

This warrants a slap on the hand an a "I'm dissapointed with you" for a while, but that's it.

So what you are saying is it's ok to back out of a deal as long as it's not a big $$$ deal ?

Personally i don't care if he backed out of a $30, $3000 or $30.000 deal, a deal is a deal.

If you are not prepared to take a loss on a book don't list it with no reserve 2c

At the risk of getting pelted with rocks, I think this is being made out to be bigger than it is.

BD seems like a good guy. He sold a book for less than he wanted, so he decided not to sell. That sucks for the buyer, as we all love to get nice books under guide (I know the excitement I get from it).

It's great that there is some unity on this board, but it's not like the guy sold a fake, or sold something restored without mentioning it, or sold something claiming its a 8.0 when its really a 4.0, or lied in the description about damage then refused a return. Or shipped something carelessly and got destroyed in transit. He backed out of a deal- that doesn't show the most integrity, but it's not worth death or anything. No money was lost and no product was lost. You're back at square 1. I'm glad a thread was made on this, as it's good to know.

As someone mentioned- its a common non key bronze book that looks a bit off and doesn't have the best PQ. We're not talking about a Batman 1 or Marvel Comics 1, or an AF 15. I doubt this book means much overall.

I'm sure most here love comics and OA with a passion, but if you've been around you've probably been burned 10x worse easily. I know I have seen some real shady stuff. This warrants a slap on the hand an a "I'm dissapointed with you" for a while, but that's it.

***and no I never have done anything shady in dealings, so I'm not saying this because I feel guilty or anything.

The seller lied about the book being ruined to get out of the deal.

Maybe not a big deal to you, but that's enough for me to never buy anything from them. (shrug)

And, maybe it's because I'm a teacher, but the fact that he threw his own kid under the bus to back out of the deal doesn't sit well with me.

Dan

This warrants a slap on the hand an a "I'm dissapointed with you" for a while, but that's it.

Slap on the hand ? Expressing temporary disappointment ? Really ?

Yes really. Sorry but this doesnt warrant just a slap on the hand if it went down as the OP says. We still need to here from the offender before igniting the flame-throwers. Some people here may think its o.k. to back out of deals but most of us do not. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do the right thing, then move on.

There's a glue that holds this board together. Having some respect for your fellow members, character, and honesty, and some pride on being a member here. Step outside the line, and you may as well deal with e-bay.

DR.X

What's amazing is BD hasn't responded on the issue at all.

Really stupid stuff

Maybe he hasn't seen the thread.

Do you believe that? It's possible but doubtful.

Of course I believe it. Why wouldn't I? Why is it doubtful he hasn't read it?

Really stupid stuff

Of course I believe it. Why wouldn't I? Why is doubtful he hasn't read it?

Yeah, not everyone is like you and me who will read everything.

xoxo

greggy

Really stupid stuff

xoxo

greggy

Translation: "I have no life"

"So what you are saying is it's ok to back out of a deal as long as it's not a big $$$ deal ? "

I dont mind giving my viewpoints on various things, but in all seriousness, please read what I wrote before getting upset. I'm not going to address comments anymore that people assume I made. It makes it appear that you want to be part of a witch hunt.

1) I'm not "upset" nor am i part of a "witch hunt", I'm simple giving my opinion on the matter

2) Maybe you should go back and read what you wrote...

At the risk of getting pelted with rocks, I think this is being made out to be bigger than it is.

BD seems like a good guy. He sold a book for less than he wanted, so he decided not to sell. That sucks for the buyer, as we all love to get nice books under guide (I know the excitement I get from it).

It's great that there is some unity on this board, but it's not like the guy sold a fake, or sold something restored without mentioning it, or sold something claiming its a 8.0 when its really a 4.0, or lied in the description about damage then refused a return. Or shipped something carelessly and got destroyed in transit. He backed out of a deal- that doesn't show the most integrity, but it's not worth death or anything. No money was lost and no product was lost. You're back at square 1. I'm glad a thread was made on this, as it's good to know.

As someone mentioned- its a common non key bronze book that looks a bit off and doesn't have the best PQ. We're not talking about a Batman 1 or Marvel Comics 1, or an AF 15. I doubt this book means much overall.

I'm sure most here love comics and OA with a passion, but if you've been around you've probably been burned 10x worse easily. I know I have seen some real shady stuff. This warrants a slap on the hand an a "I'm dissapointed with you" for a while, but that's it.

***and no I never have done anything shady in dealings, so I'm not saying this because I feel guilty or anything.

It sure sounds to me like you are saying: it's a carppy $40 book so who cares....

Really stupid stuff

xoxo

greggy

Go catch some fish.

Some people here may think its o.k. to back out of deals but most of us do not.

There's a glue that holds this board together. Having some respect for your fellow members, character, and honesty, and some pride on being a member here. Step outside the line, and you may as well deal with e-bay.

DR.X

If that 1st line was in reference to me (not sure if it was), that was addressed in my last post on page 14.

I'm as big on integrity and respect. as anyone here, I can guarantee that. I'm glad this board sticks together.

I just think we have different perspectives on what this behavior indicates in the seller.

You seem to believe that bad behavior is a learned behavior and that he would move up from smaller lies to larger ones, but that he was caught here and it will change his ethics set.

I see it in a very different way. This is about temptation, and how much money it would take to make a person lie and cheat.

In this situation it took very little, almost nothing, to make the seller lie and cheat the buyer out of his book.

His personal integrity allowed him to screw the buyer over for a very small potential return. Logic indicates that the larger the potential dollars the quicker the angel on his shoulder would get the hook in favor of the quick (and larger) buck.

Short Version: If he'd do it for $25.......you had better believe he'd do it for $250, $2500, or $25000.

Really stupid stuff

xoxo

greggy

Go catch some fish.
:cloud9:

DR.X

If that 1st line was in reference to me (not sure if it was), that was addressed in my last post on page 14.

I'm as big on integrity and respect. as anyone here, I can guarantee that. I'm glad this board sticks together.

I just think we have different perspectives on what this behavior indicates in the seller.

You seem to believe that bad behavior is a learned behavior and that he would move up from smaller lies to larger ones, but that he was caught here and it will change his ethics set.

I see it in a very different way. This is about temptation, and how much money it would take to make a person lie and cheat.

In this situation it took very little, almost nothing, to make the seller lie and cheat the buyer out of his book.

His personal integrity allowed him to screw the buyer over for a very small potential return. Logic indicates that the larger the potential dollars the quicker the angel on his shoulder would get the hook in favor of the quick (and larger) buck.

Short Version: If he'd do it for $25.......you had better believe he'd do it for $250, $2500, or $25000.

True, I've screwed you for less. :blush:

DR.X

To be fair, that was my going rate at the time.

DR.X

I thought that I was getting a deal. (tsk)

DR.X

I allowed you to use that Canadian Monopoly Money, that was deal enough.

DR.X

Remember our next transaction in NY coming up.

DR.X

:sick:

DR.X

Quote fail but it's expected with your kind.

DR.X

Quote fail but it's expected with your kind.

:o