• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I recently purchased a CGG graded comic....and guess what?

416 posts in this topic

Fair enough...so let's take it one step further: clearly, the seller in this instance left money on the table... but as we all know very well, the whole process could have occured in reverse - he could have sent the book to CGC, rec'd a 9.4, then resubbed to CGG and gotten a 9.6. Then where would we be? Throwing mud at CGG 'cause they overgraded? That's my guess.

And I can certainly see why Capt. Tripps will continue to patronize CGC over CGG, given the grades he's been getting from CGC ! No knock on his absolutely stellar collection, but his post strikes me as similar to those of many others who've "put their eggs in the CGC basket" : no biting the hand that feeds you...

I think CGG comes out smelling like a rose on this one ... and those who thought CGC would grade the book more harshly should just own up to the fact that they were wrong, not hide behind the "well, it's only a .2 difference." If you thought the book was originally overgraded by CGG, then you believe it deserved less than a 9.4, obviously, which means you considered it a 9.2 or 9.0 or...? But now that CGC gave it a 9.6, "it's only a .2 difference" ? Hmmm

Does anyone know what the CGG crew did before starting the company? Did anyone ever know them from the local shows? Were they dealers, collectors, store owners, or what? What would their resume say if they were trying to get a job with CGC? Why is their restoration expert any more qualified than me or hammer in detecting resto?

The comic collecting world just isn't that big and it's kind of weird that no one here had ever dealt with them before they started their company, heck, I had dealt with half the board members before the boards were in existence!!

Does anyone know what the CGG crew did before starting the company? Did anyone ever know them from the local shows? Were they dealers, collectors, store owners, or what? What would their resume say if they were trying to get a job with CGC? Why is their restoration expert any more qualified than me or hammer in detecting resto?

The comic collecting world just isn't that big and it's kind of weird that no one here had ever dealt with them before they started their company, heck, I had dealt with half the board here before the boards were in existence!!

I know they were all customers at Darrell Grimes' shop in Eugene... confused-smiley-013.gif

Which means they have at least the same qualifications as his other 250 subscribers... confused-smiley-013.gif

The comic collecting world just isn't that big and it's kind of weird that no one here had ever dealt with them before they started their company, heck, I had dealt with half the board here before the boards were in existence!!

I know they were all customers at Darrell Grimes' shop in Eugene... confused-smiley-013.gif

Which means they have at least the same qualifications as his other 250 subscribers... confused-smiley-013.gif

So following the logic chain....if we didn't shop there then would could not be CGG graders/resto experts. dang. 893frustrated.gif

I for one don't believe that whoever allowed CGG to grade this in the first place left $1000 on the table by not submitting it to CGC unless an overwhelming percentage of books graded 9.4 by CGG grade 9.6 on a regular basis when cross submitted to CGC for comparison. Do we really believe that this one case sets the standard for all future cross-submissions and that is the new rule of thumb based on this one instance?

MW, possibly your shedding some light on the rather disenchanting, hit and miss practice of cross-submitting in cards may dispell thought along those lines.

Here's a link to the auction -- ASM #122, CGG 9.4

Over the past several months, I have read many of the discussions about CGG graded comics on these forums, but to be perfectly fair to them, I wanted to purchase a comic and find out for myself what their grading standards are like.

My analysis:

ASM #122 (CGG 9.4, serial #501014844) has been trimmed on both the top and bottom edges. The angle of the cut is not consistent from corner to corner and there are significant alignment problems between the cover and the pages. I'm an expert in baseball cards, not comic books, but I'd judge the alterations to be the work of an amateur.

I'll give the seller a chance to give me a refund, otherwise negative feedback will be forthcoming. sumo.gif

I don't have time to read this whole thread, so perhaps what I'm saying has already been said, or has already been proven wrong. But my two cents are this: I don't see any obvious trimming here. The book has a slight miswrap/spine roll - smaller on top, expanding down as you look down the spine (hence the slightly increased amount of white as you go down the spine). That naturally carried over into the upper right-hand part of the front cover being pushed above the pages leaving the lower right-hand corner a bit exposed. As far far as the back cover goes, I've seen plenty of non-trimmed books that look, on first inspection, even more suspicious. Check the upper edge of the back cover on this one, the way the miscut increases along the cover but doesn't affect the insider of the book. http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=809&Lot_No=2345&src=pr&sid=7CB49BB501D12CAE0E117F29177C45D4 CGC notes no trimming. Granted, I only collect Golden Age books, and manufacturing techniques may have changed over the decades.

As far as the pages sticking out on the right edge that, of course, is natural to comics, just as the center of a newspaper bulges out further than the cover because less of its paper is needed around the spine. Indeed, were the cover flush to the pages, that would be an indication of trimming.

the book came back from CGC as NM+ 9.6 universal unrestored. gossip.gif893whatthe.gif

It's good to know there's a guy out there called Supapimp who can get me what I need without, you know, me having to go through the time-consuming process of getting it the conventional way....(I mean reading the full thread, of course)

the book came back from CGC as NM+ 9.6 universal unrestored. gossip.gif893whatthe.gif

It's good to know there's a guy out there called Supapimp who can get me what I need without, you know, me having to go through the time-consuming process of getting it the conventional way....(I mean reading the full thread, of course)

When I have to "catch up" on a long thread like this I just view all of the thread on one page and page down until I see pictures. Just reading the posts with pictures is usually enough. thumbsup2.gif

I think CGC could learn from CGG

1 E-mail you when they get the books like CGG

3 E-mail you when the books are being shipped with tracking number.

If Mile High can e-mail you when they ship your comics so can CGC. This is called Good Customer service. But CGC is so flooded with books now they can't do anything until they get up to date.

I hope I'm not letting the "cat out of the bag" but Steve told me at the Longbeach show that they will start emailing submitters when their books arrive and depart, but he did not say when this would take effect.

For a guy who occasionally sends CGC $1,000-30,000 packages this sure is a service I would want, hope CGC starts doing it soon! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Timely

Banner,

Great point. This is exactly what I was attempting to say in my post (I'm just very talkative, etc.). But you hit the nail on the head. Again, competition is a great thing and the very reason why we are the only true superpower in the world, but before endorsing this new grading company, I just wanted to know who/where/how about them. I know absolutely nothing.

With Borock and Haspel, you're talking about 2 guys who have each been involved with Comics over 20 years!!! And, as both collectors and dealers. These guys both know about grading comic books (as does Paul Litch, another comic book lifer). The parent company they work for has serious expertise in grading different kinds of collectibles. WHAT DOES CGG HAVE TO OFFER BESIDE BETTER PRICES (FOR NOW) AND QUICKER TURNAROUND TIMES (FOR NOW). If anybody out there can let me know, then I would be willing to give them an opportunity and see the results. Until then, make mine CGC.

Believe me, I'm not on the CGC bandwagon because they've given high grades to my books. My books (Pacific Coasts, White Mtns, Northlands, etc.) basically graded themselves because they were beautiful, mostly unread copies. And, I've disagreed with some of the grades they've given my books, thinking a 9.4 should be a 9.6 (like FF 5) or a 9.2 should be 9.4 (like my TOS 43). But you know what, these guys are consistent, accurate graders with a known comic book history. Even if I disagree with some grades, I will still go back to them for this very reason.

With Borock and Haspel, you're talking about 2 guys who have each been involved with Comics over 20 years!!! And, as both collectors and dealers. These guys both know about grading comic books (as does Paul Litch, another comic book lifer).

I thought the reason why collectors "needed" a grading service was because dealers are untrustworthy and shoddy graders?!?!?

I think CGC could learn from CGG

1 E-mail you when they get the books like CGG

3 E-mail you when the books are being shipped with tracking number.

If Mile High can e-mail you when they ship your comics so can CGC. This is called Good Customer service. But CGC is so flooded with books now they can't do anything until they get up to date.

RS, if you think this is how CGC can improve their service that you need re-evaluate what you are looking for in a grading company. If you want to know when your books get to CGC pay for delivery confirmation or use FEDEX. All it takes is a simple phone call to CGC customer service, all of whom are very helpful, to find out when your books will ship. They ship books out using the USPS, which doesn't have tracking numbers. They can only tell if a book has arrived or not, they don't have a system like FEDEX or UPS to track where a package is at.

I think the service CGc provides is outstanding, although as supa said they could evaluate their turnaround times.