• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I recently purchased a CGG graded comic....and guess what?

416 posts in this topic

I agree, unless someone could prove that the seller is the person who had it trimmed. If not, then CGG should make the situation right.

I agree. But even so, I don't think the seller would deserve a neg for it.

CGG graded it.

I think the issue of comic restoration raises an interesting question -- does a seller suddenly forego all responsibility for the merchandise he or she sells just because it has been graded? In my opinion, no.

As far as the images, sure, maybe there has been some trimming, but I have seen all these same signs, including that ragged little edge on many other books. Don't come jumping to conclusions just yet. I suggest pulling out some Bronze books that are less than perfect and see if you can find some similar traits. I bet you will.

As far as the quote above I agree and disagree. Although a seller should stand behind everything he sells, and refund an honest customer (if he really IS honest and not just changing his mind) I don't believe that the seller has ALL responsibility. For example, if a book comes back from CGC that looks overgraded, and a buyer purchases it and believe it is overgraded as well, maybe the seller can refund but should he be 100% responsible? Would CGC then be responsible to the seller for an overgraded book? What if the seller cannot sell it anywhere near market since it looks so overgraded? IF this book really is trimmed, maybe the seller would just be as surprised as any. Just a few days ago I received an ASM Annual #1 back from CGC with a light color touch. I was shocked. I had no idea that it was slightly restored. And if the buyer examines the book even better than CGC or CGG and finds a hidden flaw, is the seller responsible or the grader for the oversight?----Sid

I agree, unless someone could prove that the seller is the person who had it trimmed. If not, then CGG should make the situation right.

Man, there's more handwashing going on here than in an ER. foreheadslap.gif

I wonder how we have progressed from a seller standing behind his/her products, to allowing a "screw you buyer!" attitude concerning graded books.

If someone has a valid beef, I'll take back anything. thumbsup2.gif

I think there has to be some culpabity on bahalf of both CGG and the seller. To many sellers hide behind third party grading, which bugs me especially when they try to sell mis-cut/ date-stamped books or restored books without a scan. 893frustrated.gif

I agree. But even so, I don't think the seller would deserve a neg for it.

CGG graded it.

I understand what you're saying, but my feedback will be based on the seller's response. Despite what some here might think, I don't think a "slab" relieves a seller from his or her duties. In the world of baseball cards, for instance, there is a company called "PRO grading" where nearly every card they encapsulate is trimmed or altered. Those dealers who sell large quantities of these types of cards (PRO) are not seen as innocent victims of the grading process. Rather, they are viewed by most collectors as accessories to the crime of baseball card alteration. Ignorance isn't an excuse...at least in my book (no pun intended)...especially considering that those who don't know any better usually have no problem with issuing a refund. And yes, there are always unusual circumstances regarding certain sales or just plain exceptions to the rule -- I'll keep an open mind when I communicate with the seller. I just find it hard to believe that a comic could look like this and the seller didn't notice anything suspicious.

I just find it hard to believe that a comic could look like this and the seller didn't notice anything suspicious.

Its even harder to believe that CGG didn't notice anything suspicious. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just find it hard to believe that a comic could look like this and the seller didn't notice anything suspicious.

Its even harder to believe that CGG didn't notice anything suspicious. confused-smiley-013.gif

In the world of baseball cards, perfectly legit specimens are often rejected for grading if they are inordinately miscut. Is the same true for comic books? (I would guess not but I am not certain).

In the world of baseball cards, perfectly legit specimens are often rejected for grading if they are inordinately miscut. Is the same true for comic books? (I would guess not but I am not certain).

Nope, those are given CGC 9.8 grades. insane.gif

Your statement "I just find it hard to believe that a comic could look like this and the seller didn't notice anything suspicious" is irrelevant. You didn't pay for the seller's grading. You paid for CGGs. Your beef is with them, not with the seller.

You didn't pay for the seller's grading. You paid for CGGs. Your beef is with them, not with the seller.

But what if the seller knowingly sent a trimmed book to CGG hoping they might miss it?

Your statement "I just find it hard to believe that a comic could look like this and the seller didn't notice anything suspicious" is irrelevant. You didn't pay for the seller's grading. You paid for CGGs. Your beef is with them, not with the seller.

I don't agree. A slab of plastic does not relieve a seller from his or her obligation to deliver an unrestored comic.

You paid for CGGs. Your beef is with them, not with the seller.

So you buy a Sony TV from a retail store, open the box and find that your 32" TV has been trimmed to 20", and it's a problem of Sony's?

I could imagine Donut heading back to the store, the guy refusing to give a replacement, offering a canned "you bought Sony's quality and name, not ours" and giving him a 1-800 number to resolve the dispute. 27_laughing.gif

I am consistently amazed at the number of sellers who will wash their hands when it comes to graded comic sales. If you refuse to stand behind what you sell, then put i tin HUGE BOLD LETTERS, so we can all see it.

I don't see anything of the sort in this auction listing.

Maybe the seller is flipping a previous CGG he purchased, thus there really is no way if it was/was not trimmed. So I dont see your way of thinking it is his responsibility. He is not the person that was paid to slab that book.

Yeah but, in a situation like the one you stated, the retail store calls Sony, and gets refunded/reimbersed, so they really dont care. As for this seller, its a lot different to compare him to a retail store.

My only point is why we all scream and moan when someone gets a raw book they are dissatisfied with, but most sellers tend to wash their hands when a buyer is not happy with a graded book?

It's not like CGC and CGG are mythical entities incapable of a mistake, and no product should have this sort of "sorry, it's not my problem sucker!" kind of automatic brush-off.

OK,...look at it this way,....you have a dog,...you spend $500.00 to send it to obedience school....Fido graduates at the top of his class....two weeks later little Timmy is riding his bike past your yard and Fido goes Cujo for no reason at all and mauls Timmy,.....does Timmy's mom blame the obedience school for failing to train Fido?...or are you responsible cause Fido is your dog?.....Seller needs to take responsibility for what they sell,....a third party does not resolve them of responsibility....

wdy03001.jpg

It's not like CGC and CGG are mythical entities incapable of a mistake, and no product should have this sort of "sorry, it's not my problem sucker!" kind of automatic brush-off.

893applaud-thumb.gif