• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I recently purchased a CGG graded comic....and guess what?

416 posts in this topic

because that's where my beef would be.

Nah. Here's where the BEEF is...

3.jpg

893whatthe.gif

Which one is grading my comics? 893whatthe.gif

I think the guy on the right is checking for greggy nutsack creases. foreheadslap.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

I think the guy on the right is checking for greggy nutsack creases. foreheadslap.gif

***Can't....breathe..........must......stop.....laughing....***

27_laughing.gif

Sorry, I just don't like the idea that buying a graded comic is analogous to buying the number on a label....ESPECIALLY when the grading company in question does not offer an explicit guarantee.

For instance, imagine stepping into a time machine and being transported back to a civilization where standardized third party grading does not yet exist. How would we react to the following -- suppose we had purchased a comic from a seller who described it as "100% unaltered...I had one of my friends who is a top comic expert and grader look at it and he says it grades NM." But suppose upon taking delivery, we find that it's only a weak VF copy that has CT in two of the corners. What then? Do you seek a refund from the seller's comic-expert friend, or do we send it back to the person who sold it to us?

Sorry, I just don't like the idea that buying a graded comic is analogous to buying the number on a label....ESPECIALLY when the grading company in question does not offer an explicit guarantee.

For instance, imagine stepping into a time machine and being transported back to a civilization where standardized third party grading does not yet exist. How would we react to the following -- suppose we had purchased a comic from a seller who described it as "100% unaltered...I had one of my friends who is a top comic expert and grader look at it and he says it grades NM." But suppose upon taking delivery, we find that it's only a weak VF copy that has CT in two of the corners. What then? Do you seek a refund from the seller's comic-expert friend, or do we send it back to the person who sold it to us?

You don't buy it in the first place. Although if you do, you would have every right to have the guy take it back, as he told you it was 100% unaltered, which didn't happen here. A better case would be if you had said "Is this book trimmed" and he said "I don't think so." If it was, then he should take it back. But you bought a third party graded product.

I keep going back to the fact that 1) you bought a CGG book 2) you implicitly accept their grading and 3) the seller has no input INTO the grade.

I keep going back to the fact that 1) you bought a CGG book 2) you implicitly accept their grading and 3) the seller has no input INTO the grade.

I agree with 1) and 3), but why do you feel 2) is a universal truth?

After all, using the above criteria, what's the difference between a CGC or CGG comic and one of the many of the "a local comic shop, XXXXX, graded this for me as a 9.4" auctions.

Those fit the criteria, but the forum members would be screaming to high heaven if the book wasn't a 9.4 in each and every way.

It's clear that you should not be buying any books unless you see them in person or receive an unconditional money back guarentee. Tell the seller your needs before you bid and follow his instructions.

1. Yes

2. How so? That would be like saying if I purchase a new automobile, I implicitly accept the fact that it is free from flaws and that it's not a lemon.

3. Why not? I've frequently sold graded material on eBay where I disagree with the grade and document the reasons why.

It's clear that you should not be buying any books unless you see them in person or receive an unconditional money back guarentee. Tell the seller your needs before you bid and follow his instructions.

I'm not looking for an unconditional guarantee. Just a reasonable one.

I agree, unless someone could prove that the seller is the person who had it trimmed. If not, then CGG should make the situation right.

Man, there's more handwashing going on here than in an ER. foreheadslap.gif

I wonder how we have progressed from a seller standing behind his/her products, to allowing a "screw you buyer!" attitude concerning graded books.

If someone has a valid beef, I'll take back anything. thumbsup2.gif

Joe you are 100 right the seller should give him back his money and that’s it. Case closed the seller can go do a second chance offer on E-bay and offer it to the other bidders if he wants.

1. Yes

2. How so? That would be like saying if I purchase a new automobile, I implicitly accept the fact that it is free from flaws and that it's not a lemon.

3. What not? I've frequently sold graded material on eBay where I disagree with the grade and document the reasons why.

1. exactly

2. this is what I'm trying to say. You implicitly accepted their grading, NOT the sellers. That's who your beef is with

3. The seller has NO input into the grade. NONE. The seller can do exactly what you've said, disagree to the high heavens, but, again, has NO input into the grade itself.

I should state here that I'm a reasonable buyer and have not as yet returned a CGC comic, but it's the concept that rubs me the wrong way.

It seems that no matter what, sellers foist off any and all responsibility to the grading company, no matter who is at fault.

I've seen cracked slabs sold without any disclosure, warped comics, books with serious "case related" damage, and other "seller aware" problems. And these are just with ones with scans showing the issues... 893whatthe.gif

I am currently awaiting the day I receive a CGC comic that's been busted up, bent, twisted and pounded, which I will naturally receive a "take it up with CGC for producing such a shoddy case" reply from the seller. makepoint.gif

2. this is what I'm trying to say. You implicitly accepted their grading, NOT the sellers. That's who your beef is with

I just don't understand this mentality. Before standardized third party grading, we held sellers accountable for what they sold. Are they suddenly immune to product misrepresentation simply because of a plastic slab? That's completely counterintuitive and nonsensical.

I should state here that I'm a reasonable buyer and have not as yet returned a CGC comic, but it's the concept that rubs me the wrong way.

It seems that no matter what, sellers foist off any and all responsibility to the grading company, no matter who is at fault.

I've seen cracked slabs sold without any disclosure, warped comics, books with serious "case related" damage, and other "seller aware" problems. And these are just with ones with scans showing the issues... 893whatthe.gif

I am currently awaiting the day I receive a CGC comic that's been busted up, bent, twisted and pounded, which I will naturally receive a "take it up with CGC for producing such a shoddy case" reply from the seller. makepoint.gif

There are two very different things at work here. I am talking about grading, not

cracked slabs sold without any disclosure, warped comics, books with serious "case related" damage, and other "seller aware" problems.

Anyone who doesn't offer a refund based on those issues is not standing behind the product. HOWEVER, if you disagree with the grading on a book, take it up with Steve.

I just don't understand this mentality. Before standardized third party grading, we held sellers accountable for what they sold. Are they suddenly immune to product misrepresentation simply because of a plastic slab? That's completely counterintuitive and nonsensical.

No, it isn't. We still hold sellers accountable for what they sell. The seller, in this case, is accountable to sell you a CGG 9.4 Blue Label Amazing Spider-Man 122. That's what he sold you. If you buy an Amazing Spider-Man 122 graded by ME, then I'm responsible for the grade on it. If you buy an Amazing Spider-Man 122 graded by CGC from me, I'm responsible for getting you the slabbed book quickly, efficiently and without the case breaking. I am NOT responsible for the GRADE of the book inside. That's what I paid CGC for.

Anyone who doesn't offer a refund based on those issues is not standing behind the product. HOWEVER, if you disagree with the grading on a book, take it up with Steve.

But I see it morphing into one big catch-all lately, and we've even seen various 'seller excuses" posted on these boards from dissatisfied customers.

There seems to be a mentality of "if you have ANY problem with a CGC comic, take it up with CGC".

But I see it morphing into one big catch-all lately, and we've even seen various 'seller excuses" posted on these boards from dissatisfied customers.

There seems to be a mentality of "if you have ANY problem with a CGC comic, take it up with CGC".

That's different then. Buy from me. acclaim.gif