• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I recently purchased a CGG graded comic....and guess what?

416 posts in this topic

I haven't read the whole thread, but do you have better pictures where you consider possible trimming?

I've posted 10 different images of the comic. They are on pages 2 and 3.

I've read 84% of this thread - approximately - and haven't seen one fairly obvious suggestion posted...apologies if this has been proposed:

Why not contact CGG and see what they say? If this were a CGC issue, from all appearances CGC would happily take another look at the book, and if it was deemed "wrong" in some sense - i.e., that CGC had erred somehow, CGC would make things right.

Why not give CGG the same opportunity, before slamming them and/or the seller?

It must be our SF mindset coming to the fore, because you and I are on the same wavelength. I suggested it somewhat obliquely on page 3 of this thread. Of course, then JC jumped on me for not ripping into CGG right away.... confused-smiley-013.gif

CGG Should Make It Right

I've read 84% of this thread - approximately - and haven't seen one fairly obvious suggestion posted...apologies if this has been proposed:

Why not contact CGG and see what they say? If this were a CGC issue, from all appearances CGC would happily take another look at the book, and if it was deemed "wrong" in some sense - i.e., that CGC had erred somehow, CGC would make things right.

Why not give CGG the same opportunity, before slamming them and/or the seller?

I just spoke with Daniel Patterson, head graded for CGG. He was familiar with the comic before I even mentioned it (i.e., he reads these forums) and he offered to take a second look at it. He did say that one of the graders was positive that it wasn't altered or trimmed but that a closer examination would be done.

I'm going to contact the seller and let him know where I'm at and that I'm going to send the comic to CGG for a re-evaluation. I should also mention that Daniel offered to obtain a second opinion from another company if necessary. Pretty good service if you asked me.

FFBB -- a good suggestion. After a few issues got sorted out, it appears that you were right on target with your advice.

FFBB -- a good suggestion. After a few issues got sorted out, it appears that you were right on target with your advice.

Best marriage advice I ever had "When all else fails, try talking about it." Works in a lot of situations. thumbsup2.gif

I just spoke with Daniel Patterson, head graded for CGG. He was familiar with the comic before I even mentioned it (i.e., he reads these forums) and he offered to take a second look at it. He did say that one of the graders was positive that it wasn't altered or trimmed but that a closer examination would be done.

I'm going to contact the seller and let him know where I'm at and that I'm going to send the comic to CGG for a re-evaluation. I should also mention that Daniel offered to obtain a second opinion from another company if necessary. Pretty good service if you asked me.

I hope they they meant CGC here as they are the only other other one besides 3 points given.Oh and they dont need to hide other grading company as CGC is the king here so why cant they just say it CGC its not that hard is it!

Davidking623

Oh and they were a couple tables down me at the Portland show not that it mattered to me I didnt even go look at there table or there grades.Boy is this thread documenting my belief in CGC even more!Yeah Ill give them a chance but I would really be a lot more inclined to have you send the book into CGC first and have them grade it first and side step CGG as they already had there chance this is the way I look at it and I would be willing to help out in the grading fee of the book as I am sure there might be others also!

Right now Ill throw in 10 to help you on it.Oh and if CGG is really sincere here they should be floating the same offer and pick up the whole tab. LMK

Davidking623

confused.gif

Sorry but this is the perfect case of resubmiting a CGG Graded book to CGC! They had there chance why let them regrade a book they already looked at this is one of those key books and in my opinion always gets the harder look! Just my .03 worth!

Davidking623

confused.gif

Sorry but this is the perfect case of resubmiting a CGG Graded book to CGC! They had there chance why let them regrade a book they already looked at this is one of those key books and in my opinion always gets the harder look! Just my .03 worth!

Davidking623

CGG already offered to obtain a second opinion if necessary. I don't see what the drawback would be in sending the comic to them (CGG) for re-evaluation.

No problem. With the way that CGC has stepped up to the plate to stand by their grading and restoration checks, it's nice to see that CGG will do the same. I think that it is important that CGG do so if they want people to trust their service.

Personally, I think that this is the smart thing for them to do. The cost of the book, even if they have to do like CGC did and offer to buy it back from you at your cost if it turns out to be restored, is far less than the value of the negative press and poor word of mouth they'd receive if they tried to pass the buck. Nice to see that they appear willing to do the responsible thing. Keep us informed on how it works out.

confused.gif

Davidking623

CGG already offered to obtain a second opinion if necessary. I don't see what the drawback would be in sending the comic to them (CGG) for re-evaluation.

I am really glad to see they have done this offered to obtain a second opinion if necessary! But they already gave us there's with there CGG grade in the first place! Look I trust in what CGC would say in this matter and really dont want there second opinion of the book! Its not my book though and I fully respect your decision of sending it into CGG again! I just think it way cooler that CGC recieves this book just like another book and has no Red flag to it, the way CGG is going to have it flagged this time around!

Davidking623

I am still not convinced that this book is not sound or had been trimmed. Don't forget, those little scrapes could have come from damage. As I have said before, 9.4 or not I do not know, but this book is most likely a result of offset printing and perhaps a little damage. Trimming? Possible but I doubt it. I bet we could all take numerous offset books out of our collections, post up the scans, and then debate about it for hours how it could have been trimmed, restapled, taken apart or whatever. This book is probably just another example. But, I realize we are talking about the bigger picture, and not just this one example. Anyway, gotta get on to some other posts now. I'm worn out on this one. 893frustrated.gif -----Sid

Yes, but let's go back to my point from a few pages ago--nobody addressed it then, but I want to repeat it anyway.

My contention is that trimmed or not, I'm stunned that's a 9.4 from CGG, which I have regarded as particularly strict (whether or not they are controversial on the restoration issue). This is the same grade I got on a modern USM White that went from Darth to me, hand-selected, where it remained untouched before submission. This near-perfect modern book which had been handled by two people who know how to take care of comics scored a 9.4--the same grade as this book with pages askew and buzzsaw abrasions across the cover.

Oh,and I'm quite glad to hear that Daniel not only reads this forum, but appears to take us seriously enough to be a gentleman/good businessman about matters of controversy. While I'm nervous about the edges on that book, I'm more concerned with what appears to be CGG's perception of modern fresh, new books as uglier than they really are and bronze keys as prettier than they really are. Since I use CGG for grading moderns, that could be a liability to me.

BTW, any truth to the theory that CGG has been prohibited by policy from joining and participating on this forum?

Oh and they were a couple tables down me at the Portland show not that it mattered to me I didnt even go look at there table or there grades.Boy is this thread documenting my belief in CGC even more!

I guess you missed that Batman 11 trim-job, along with the mountain of "cleaned and pressed" CGC books that are coming down the pike. insane.gif

Oh,and I'm quite glad to hear that Daniel not only reads this forum, but appears to take us seriously enough to be a gentleman/good businessman about matters of controversy. While I'm nervous about the edges on that book, I'm more concerned with what appears to be CGG's perception of modern fresh, new books as uglier than they really are and bronze keys as prettier than they really are. Since I use CGG for grading moderns, that could be a liability to me.

BTW, any truth to the theory that CGG has been prohibited by policy from joining and participating on this forum?

This is to another reason as to why they are not accepted by me, here they come into read our posts and will not make any strides to talk with us! I can understand this to a bit but hey why should I have to make the call to get to know them better they ought to be doing the reverse if they want to be in business a long time.

Davidking623