• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the PRESSING WARS have officially begun

321 posts in this topic

I would. I hate page quality listed on the label. It's should only be listed if it factored in to the received grade. Otherwise, it's non-consequential.

Page quality does affect the grade though.

And we are now fully amidst the rehashing of the same old pressing topics discussed to death...so yea...this appears to be transforming into yet another full-blown pressing thread. :eyeroll: Can't wait until someone asks what PCS is. :eek:

I'm sure that no one here would complain about extra info on the label. :whistle:

(and I'm not referring to you here, Doc).

I would. I hate page quality listed on the label. It's should only be listed if it factored in to the received grade. Otherwise, it's non-consequential.

You hate PQ on the label ? Surely you jest. I think it is the most important aspect about the book.

More important than restoration?

Or whether a page is missing?

Or whether it's from the Church collection?

Or whether it's a counterfeit?

And we are now fully amidst the rehashing of the same old pressing topics discussed to death...so yea...this appears to be transforming into yet another full-blown pressing thread. :eyeroll: Can't wait until someone asks what PCS is. :eek:

Infrequently, usually only in the case of books with PQ worse than Cream.

The next phase should be ON SITE wars, where they roll through the neighborhood in fully equipped Pressmobiles. Grade manipulation...right in your driveway. hm:insane:

flatout-4-web.jpg

Yeah but that car is too much overhead...I see this onsite service...

press.jpg

With your own team!

pressing_team.jpg

IHOP could diversify?

357pkrq.jpg

get your comics pressed while you chow down on some rooty tutty fresh n fruity? hm

And we are now fully amidst the rehashing of the same old pressing topics discussed to death...so yea...this appears to be transforming into yet another full-blown pressing thread. :eyeroll:

Perhaps but it's with a different spin on the possibility of onsite pressing...

I think it is often used when deciding the grade of a 'tweener'. I have heard that White pages will balance out a light dust shadow.

Cream to off-white isn't acceptable in 9.8, and straight cream isn't acceptable at 9.6 although I'm not sure they even give the simple "Cream" designator anymore, I haven't seen it on anything but early slabs. Page quality automatically lowers grade to a certain level depending upon how bad it is. I forget exactly which qualities lower a book exactly to which grades, we've listed them a few times in the past though. I don't remember what straight off-white knocks it to--9.9 or 9.8 I believe...tan to off-white is 8.5...I THINK slightly brittle is 7.0 but could be wrong...and brittle is 6.0 or 6.5, can't remember which, I think 6.0.

We're all deducing this based upon slabs we've seen, but Borock did once say when we showed a "tan to off-white" label on a 9.8 that they wouldn't allow tan at that level, implying that the levels we're reverse-engineering do exist.

And we are now fully amidst the rehashing of the same old pressing topics discussed to death...so yea...this appears to be transforming into yet another full-blown pressing thread. :eyeroll:

Similar to but a lot less extreme than PCS itself was, the pressing service CGC was going to start offering themselves until people started screaming bloody murder. It's also virtually the same situation as the people who wonder why CGC won't let submitters actively disclose when they know a book is pressed.

:whistle:

I think it is often used when deciding the grade of a 'tweener'. I have heard that White pages will balance out a light dust shadow.

I've heard a $5 bill in the center counter balances both dust shadows and minor foxing.

Then again, I've heard some fols actually read the books instead of slabbing them.

Who knows?

Similar to but a lot less extreme than PCS itself was, the pressing service CGC was going to start offering themselves until people started screaming bloody murder. It's also the virtually the same situation as the people who wonder why CGC won't let submitters actively disclose when they know a book is pressed.

I think you might find that it was already being offered. :whistle:

Cream to off-white isn't acceptable in 9.8, and straight cream isn't acceptable at 9.6 although I'm not sure they even give the simple "Cream" designator anymore, I haven't seen it on anything but early slabs. Page quality automatically lowers grade to a certain level depending upon how bad it is. I forget exactly which qualities lower a book exactly to which grades, we've listed them a few times in the past though. I don't remember what straight off-white knocks it to--9.9 or 9.8 I believe...tan to off-white is 8.5...I THINK slightly brittle is 7.0 but could be wrong...and brittle is 6.0 or 6.5, can't remember which, I think 6.0.

We're all deducing this based upon slabs we've seen, but Borock did once say when we showed a "tan to off-white" label on a 9.8 that they wouldn't allow tan at that level, implying that the levels we're reverse-engineering do exist.

I had this Captain America #195 with CR/OW pages get a 9.8. Pretty rare to see that.

CaptainAmerica195CGC98-1.jpg

I had this Captain America #195 with CR/OW pages get a 9.8. Pretty rare to see that.

CaptainAmerica195CGC98-1.jpg

I've only seen two others that were both label errors. Do the pages look cream from the side?

3 pressing services now available right here on the boards (more available other places), and some people are actually using other peoples pricing structure's against them, and now....

ON SITE PRESSING.

I predict that by next year at this time, there will be at least 2 different companies offering on site pressing services, and quite possibly more than that.

Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!

What about pressing in your own home? Perhaps you could call them and they will travel to your home, within a certain geographical area, and press them right in your own home!

Man that would be awesome :wishluck:

Is this like when the Germans invaded Russia in 1941?

Just in case:

:jokealert:

No, but it is very much like when the Germans started printing lots and lots of money in the '30s. (thumbs u

Not even close to being :jokealert:

lol Great analogy! (thumbs u

The new expression for sending one's books to be pressed will be "I'm sending them to Weimar".