• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the PRESSING WARS have officially begun

321 posts in this topic

On site pressing without on site grading is retarded. Why pay a premium for a service were there is a lag time in the ultimate benefit?

I tend to agree. I'm not sure this was thought all the way through. And I'd also like to know what happens if my book is damaged. With the haste and clutter that is likely to occur in on site pressing, I'd like to make sure that my investment is fully protected when in the presser's possession.

So what if anything happens to the book, they can fix it onsite !

Actually does any of the Pressing Services, even Matt, insure your books while in their possession, onsite or not ?

I'm pretty sure Matt does have a compensation plan and/or insurance.

Glad I hoarded copies of this one shot!

Now a collectible.. and looks like the pressers won?

2mnqcrp.jpg

Man, I haven't used that avatar in ages. hm

You were the pig, right?

No. It was this one:

1041.gif

It was a tribute to Illuminati, I think.

What we have here is a paradigm shift...

Now, it's not what position you have on Pressing, but which Pressing Service you stand behind.

"Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun, the Pressing War has! " ―Yoda "

Well this thread is certainly a good piece of free advertising in time for the show. hm

It'd be illuminating to be there just to see the pool of unrestored books to shrink before my eyes. :eyeroll:

Well this thread is certainly a good piece of free advertising in time for the show. hm

It'd be illuminating to be there just to see the pool of unrestored books to shrink before my eyes. :eyeroll:

You're not going to get to watch silly. :makepoint:

This was raised earlier in the thread, but I'll highlight it. Putting my personal feelings to one side here for a moment, I'll say this much...

With the number of people now offering services, both publicly and on the quiet, I'd ask anybody and everybody who wants a book pressed to ask specifically about the insurance cover in place. Hell, ask for a copy of the documents!

I might not like it, but I'd prefer to see books beautifully pressed than utterly ed...but if they're not, you need to make sure you are going to get fully reimbursed at an appropriate level. (thumbs u

On site pressing without on site grading is retarded. Why pay a premium for a service were there is a lag time in the ultimate benefit?

I tend to agree. I'm not sure this was thought all the way through. And I'd also like to know what happens if my book is damaged.

Brian do what everyone else does, start a thread and bash them relentlessly so we can all join in on the flame war and start calling each other names. :cloud9: I kid of course. :grin:

I agree since you don't want the book to start opening again...but if onsite pressing and onsite grading are together and working in conjunction with another...that seems a bit shady to me from a CGC perspective. If it is known that a comic is officially pressed why wouldn't they disclose it on the label?

At that point it crosses the line to me. I understand the position that "we can't tell if it is pressing or not" but if it is openly done and submitted there...well it just seems idiotic to me.

(tsk)

I agree since you don't want the book to start opening again...but if onsite pressing and onsite grading are together and working in conjunction with another...that seems a bit shady to me from a CGC perspective. If it is known that a comic is officially pressed why wouldn't they disclose it on the label?

At that point it crosses the line to me. I understand the position that "we can't tell if it is pressing or not" but if it is openly done and submitted there...well it just seems idiotic to me.

(tsk)

And there is a difference when "allegedly" pressing in-house was a possibility

at/on/near the CGC facility ?

(tsk)

In a nutshell, because they don't care. To CGC, and many others, pressing is not restoration and therefor not noted on the label.

...and the Bafta award goes to... Garry Crawley.

^^

This was raised earlier in the thread, but I'll highlight it. Putting my personal feelings to one side here for a moment, I'll say this much...

With the number of people now offering services, both publicly and on the quiet, I'd ask anybody and everybody who wants a book pressed to ask specifically about the insurance cover in place. Hell, ask for a copy of the documents!

I might not like it, but I'd prefer to see books beautifully pressed than utterly ed...but if they're not, you need to make sure you are going to get fully reimbursed at an appropriate level. (thumbs u

On this, we are in complete and total agreement. mess happens.

To CGC, and many others, pressing is not restoration and therefor not noted on the label.

Don't think that's CGC's stance, since I've never seen them state that pressing isn't restoration. What they have stated is that pressing cannot be reliably detected, and so isn't considered appropriate for a purple label.

(tsk)

And there is a difference when "allegedly" pressing in-house was a possibility

at/on/near the CGC facility ?

Agreed! They get shipments from known pressing companies all the time....but that is still speculation to some degree.

At a convention out in the open and getting submissions from the pressing company...I don't like it one bit for the hobby or CGC's reputation as a legitimate service recognizing basic comic collecting standards. Such as... If you know something was done to the book 100% confirmed...frakin disclose it. :sumo: