• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Gator, I usually collect strictly Ditko asm but want to pick up a ga book and see if its for me. What title/issue do you recommend?? (thumbs u
I think a ditko asm guy would love a Kirby captain America book.

GAtor,

Will there be a decisive victory in today's basketball game or will it be a long drawn out sweaty mess with old guys falling everywhere?

Thanks Gator for the input I'm a long time collector with some good books not quite like what I have seen on the boards.I just had those few Cheslers graded and keep my eyes open for a worthy copy for you.If I don't take them to the casket with me I will contact you first.Thank Comicjack

I hear GAtor is considering opening a funeral parlour next door to his comic shop...

for courpses?

GAtor,

Will there be a decisive victory in today's basketball game or will it be a long drawn out sweaty mess with old guys falling everywhere?

Unknown. But we are down here waiting. I can say I will shoot every opp I get lol

[font:Comic Sans MS]Best non-DC/Timely super heroes?[/font] hm

:sumo:Step aside boys, here are my choices:

Daredevil (super costume, superb art & supreme nemesis in the Claw)

Plastic Man (most second banana GA heroes wished they could stretch their careers as far)

Phantom Lady (the most impressive comic character makeover in history)

The Shield (first patriotic superhero and inspiration for S&K's Cap)

Cat Man (who can argue with his unique choice of a side-kick?)

Captain Marvel Jr. (can't help it, I prefer Raboy's art to Beck's) :sorry:

Birdie (Air Boy's custom plane; at times this aircraft seemed to have a life of it's own)

The Black Terror (gotta love the skull and crossbones costume & all those Schomburg covers)

:insane:OK, so maybe I stretched the definition of super hero by including Birdie. (shrug)

:acclaim:

:applause: great list (except for that Birdie character)

GAtor,

:sick: the visual of that one is not sitting well with my stomach

I didn't make a single shot :cry:

GAtor,

:sick: the visual of that one is not sitting well with my stomach

I didn't make a single shot :cry:

:o

141013066.jpg

:facepalm:[font:Comic Sans MS]Say it ain't so![/font]

Reviving a very important thread... (thumbs u

... G.A.Tor, if we exclude characters created by DC and Marvel/Timely, who are the greatest comic book characters of the Golden Age ...

... feel free to list as few or many as you'd like (top 5, top 10, top 12) ...

(Please note: you're most welcome to include characters later purchased by DC or Marvel, e.g. Plastic Man, Captain Marvel, etc)...

If we just include characters created for the comics -- excluding those that originally appeared in newspaper strips, radio shows, pulps, etc, -- I think Archie and Uncle Scrooge are near the top of the list.

What does that leave us with...characters from fawcett, fox, gleason...nedor..MLJ-Archie

Green Hornet

Capt Marvel

Dickk Tracy

Tarzan

Black Terror

Shield

Surprised you didn't include Archie in this list. Probably sold 100 times more comics than any of these characters and still relevant today.

Archie isn't a superhero lol

True but Dr Carl's question was

'G.A.Tor, if we exclude characters created by DC and Marvel/Timely, who are the greatest comic book characters of the Golden Age ... '

I'm shocked that no one chose Rainboy Boy as their favorite Superhero. :facepalm:

Heroic14.jpg

Alas, Rainbow Boy left a trail of unreported taxable income to a deceitful Leprechaun he was in cahoots with. That can play havoc with a hero's reputation. :eek:

He still makes occasional appearances when Hydroman is on the scene, but these days RB can't even gain admittance to the Side-kick's Lounge! :gossip:

Edited by DavidMerryweather

I'm going to pose this question to GAtor, but if anyone else wants to chime in, by all means, feel free to do so. While browsing through a dealer's inventory in Chicago this weekend, I noticed that he had a Don Winslow #34 CGC 9.6 (Church copy) for sale. It was in a new label slab and had the pedigree designation on the label.

Did Church have multiple copies of some books? The reason I ask is that I've got this one sitting in my collection:

donwinslow34.jpg

Thanks. Just took a look at the list. Only 1 copy is listed. There were some duplicates in this title later in the run (two 57's and two 59's). Maybe #34 slipped through the cracks. (shrug)
Possible but my guess is if not listed as a dupe then one of the books is not the mh hm