• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Rick, five second question off the top of your head. Basic retail value of an unopened 1979 mail away Boba Fett figure?

Love the WW II info from the past few pages. Been a long time since I heard some of those facts.

$250-300 ish

... For instance Finland was an axis power, but I can't seem to find any covers with them depicted on it.r

Techincally there were only three Axis members (who signed the Tripartite Pact) Japan, Nazi Germany, and Italy.

Thus why you usually see Musolini, Hirohito and Hitler depicted.

Finland actually only saw their "war" as a war with Russia (who had taken land recently in the Winter War) so they sided with Germany when Germany began to fight Russia. FInland did sign the Anti-Comintern Pact. Finland repeatedly rejected signing the Tripartite pact because they specifically wanted to maintain diplomatic relations with the US.

I dont know that the US ever technically declared war on Finland (though the UK did, due to Finland's agression towards the UKs ally Russia), or that the US forces ever fought Finnish forces...

ok that was entertaining research, back to work, it is still a good question to GAtor regarding WWII depictions of any forces or leaders other than the big three.

If I'm remembering correctly, the U.S. debated sending aid to Finland during the "Winter War" between Finland and the Soviet Union in 1940. If the Finns had held out longer, the U.S. probably would have ended up sending aid. The stories about heroic Finns during that episode would have made them poor comic book villains even though they did fight on the German side when Germany invaded the Soviet Union in 1941.

To the broader point, I don't think the average person in the U.S. would have known which small European countries were on our side and which were on the German side. Hitler, Mussolini, and Tojo/Hirohito were recognizable villains.

I think it would be truer to say that the Finns recruited the Germans to their side in their local war against the Soviets. In terms of support, Finland seems to have worked both sides to their advantage. Looking at their air force (my particular interest), they fielded American, French, British and German supplied aircraft (as well as being very adept at repairing and re-using Soviet ones).

After the Continuation War (second war against the Soviets) was negotiated to a conclusion, the Finns agreed to fight against the Germans who up until then had been assisting them. I've read the Finnish/German fighting was particularly half-hearted. The Germans left without too much of a struggle and the Finns let them. It's a fascinating sidebar to WWII in Europe.

Interesting post.

Rick, thanks for the quick answer.

... For instance Finland was an axis power, but I can't seem to find any covers with them depicted on it.r

Techincally there were only three Axis members (who signed the Tripartite Pact) Japan, Nazi Germany, and Italy.

Finland actually only saw their "war" as a war with Russia (who had taken land recently in the Winter War) so they sided with Germany when Germany began to fight Russia. FInland did sign the Anti-Comintern Pact. Finland repeatedly rejected signing the Tripartite pact because they specifically wanted to maintain diplomatic relations with the US.

I dont know that the US ever technically declared war on Finland (though the UK did, due to Finland's agression towards the UKs ally Russia), or that the US forces ever fought Finnish forces...

ok that was entertaining research, back to work, it is still a good question to GAtor regarding WWII depictions of any forces or leaders other than the big three.

If I'm remembering correctly, the U.S. debated sending aid to Finland during the "Winter War" between Finland and the Soviet Union in 1940. If the Finns had held out longer, the U.S. probably would have ended up sending aid. The stories about heroic Finns during that episode would have made them poor comic book villains even though they did fight on the German side when Germany invaded the Soviet Union in 1941.

To the broader point, I don't think the average person in the U.S. would have known which small European countries were on our side and which were on the German side. Hitler, Mussolini, and Tojo/Hirohito were recognizable villains.

I think it would be truer to say that the Finns recruited the Germans to their side in their local war against the Soviets. In terms of support, Finland seems to have worked both sides to their advantage. Looking at their air force (my particular interest), they fielded American, French, British and German supplied aircraft (as well as being very adept at repairing and re-using Soviet ones).

After the Continuation War (second war against the Soviets) was negotiated to a conclusion, the Finns agreed to fight against the Germans who up until them had been assisting them. I've read the Finnish/German fighting was particularly half-hearted. the Germans left without too much of a struggle and the Finns let them. It's a fascinating sidebar to WWII in Europe.

Interesting post.

After the Continuation War (second war against the Soviets) was negotiated to a conclusion, the Finns agreed to fight against the Germans who up until them had been assisting them. I've read the Finnish/German fighting was particularly half-hearted. the Germans left without too much of a struggle and the Finns let them. It's a fascinating sidebar to WWII in Europe.

History is easily googled. Funny that I did a history assignment on Greece for one of my kids last night.

Interesting post.

History is easily googled. Funny that I did a history assignment on Greece for one of my kids last night.

michele pfieffer is the only good thing about the sequel.

Interesting post.

You tell him, PAL! (thumbs u

Interesting post.

hard to beat ONJ.

Interesting post.

But not easily understood. :sumo:

oh I don't know...history is often told from the perspective of the "victors", but there is enough info out there that understanding is easier now than it once was (thumbs u

Maybe 45 yards these days

I think the Saints could use you if you are interested

not bad Rick. Bill, with Brees they don't kick FGs lol. Although the the J-E-T-S beat him up a bit last week.

our kicker has missed quite a few FG's this year; Brees has no WRs this year, so the Jimmy Graham well has been dipped into a ton already