• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Historical significance and current market dynamics are two different things today

15-20 yrs ago you weren't even considered a serious dc collector unless you had a run of all stars.

Historical significance and current market dynamics are two different things today

15-20 yrs ago you weren't even considered a serious dc collector unless you had a run of all stars.

are you saying newbie GA collectors just want to make a buck off comics and aren't collecting them primarily for coolness and significance...? I wouldn't care if these books were worth half the dime they originally cost, because I'd still buy what I like.

are you saying newbie GA collectors just want to make a buck off comics and aren't collecting them primarily for coolness and significance...? I wouldn't care if these books were worth half the dime they originally cost, because I'd still buy what I like.
never even implied that doh!

?

20-30 years ago no serious DC collector even wanted All star unless it was 1-3-8 and then they were nothing big next to Superman Batman in my world here in California/New york collecters i new felt the same. I could never understand is early 80s on up Aing man 5 and blackhawk 9 were hot. (shrug)

G.A.tor you know your stuff way more than me I just started back in 2000 but does All Star 8 only jump cause Wonder Woman in movies like Mfun 73 ?

Edited by woowoo

so the MMs just aren't cool enough for them to connect to and drive up interest. lol. MMs not cool enough?! I'm not poking at you Rick...maybe I need a newbie GA collector to speak up and say why they don't think MMs are cool enough. I'm guessing because of the the price points that are so high---they'd rather buy a Cap book than an early MM for $5000

?

20-30 years ago no serious DC collector even wanted All star unless it was 1-3-8 and then they were nothing big next to Superman Batman in my world here in California/New york collecters i new felt the same. I could never understand is early 80s on up Aing man 5 and blackhawk 9 were hot. (shrug)

G.A.tor you know your stuff way more than me I just started back in 2000 but does All Star 8 only jump cause Wonder Woman in movies like Mfun 73 ?

It's a combination of factors. Movies being one of them. But ww is part of the dc big 3. Been undervalued and under appreciated for a long time

so the MMs just aren't cool enough for them to connect to and drive up interest. lol. MMs not cool enough?! I'm not poking at you Rick...maybe I need a newbie GA collector to speak up and say why they don't think MMs are cool enough. I'm guessing because of the the price points that are so high---they'd rather buy a Cap book than an early MM for $5000
that's the rub. Prices certainly are a factor. If you had to choose between cap and mmc for same or comparable money, which do you think wins

?

It's a combination of factors. Movies being one of them. But ww is part of the dc big 3. Been undervalued and under appreciated for a long time

Ya thats the way i saw All Star back then,When you could not get a good deal and you had a table and NO money came you could always buy All stars cheap.

Timely 1s were $ back then. I looked for years for a mm#9 could never find 1 How is your Action 7s going (worship)

O Richard collection of mm is just over the top makes anyone love mm.

Edited by woowoo

I love mmc too. When I sold my run, I lost about 20%. Didn't love that.

Ebay last year had a mm # in the 40s for i think 10 k and it sold in under 5 min ?

I thought i could get a copy under # 10 half that price why did it go for so much that did make me think.

If you do still have a copy of 7 pm me Thanks.

Marvel Mystery has one big thing those DC titles don't, Alex Schomburg covers. They also don't have a historical edge to them since they rarely fight nazis on the cover. I'm a "newish" GA collector, and Schomburg war covers are what brought me in. After a bit I was drawn towards the early MMC comics due to their rarity and since they're Schomburg's first few covers. Other than MMC#2, I have zero interest in any angel cover. Cap is my favorite of the Timely characters, but MMC has some of the absolute best WW2 Schomburgs out there.

Marvel #1 has amazing historical significance, but I really dislike the way the torch is drawn. There are many more GA books I'd rather have than a Marvel 1.

My 2 cents.

Marvel Mystery has one big thing those DC titles don't, Alex Schomburg covers. They also don't have a historical edge to them since they rarely fight nazis on the cover. I'm a "newish" GA collector, and Schomburg war covers are what brought me in. After a bit I was drawn towards the early MMC comics due to their rarity and since they're Schomburg's first few covers. Other than MMC#2, I have zero interest in any angel cover. Cap is my favorite of the Timely characters, but MMC has some of the absolute best WW2 Schomburgs out there.

Marvel #1 has amazing historical significance, but I really dislike the way the torch is drawn. There are many more GA books I'd rather have than a Marvel 1.

My 2 cents.

By "they" in the bolded sentence, I'm assuming you mean the DC covers. I agree and I think it goes beyond not having war themes. Many GA DC covers are marred by a goofiness that may have been appealing to readers at the time, but that doesn't resonate with most current collectors. Most of the WF covers, for example, are jokey, which I think has always held that series back.

Not to say, of course, that there aren't a lot of classic DC GA covers. As a group, though, the Timely covers are more appealing. And as has been said a million times, these days we live in a cover-centric world.

If you had to choose between cap and mmc for same or comparable money, which do you think wins
Marvel Mystery...but this isn't my question thread.

There are definitely some incredibly high demand issues like 40 44 46 on the mmc side but it just doesn't look like the market loves the single digit pulpy issues at the prices they currently are relative to a few alternate choices

As a younger person (26) who would like to get into golden age collecting what do you recommend? I tend to be a bit of an unfocused collector, I'd prefer to have say, one example of each major book then 12 consecutive issues of one. I like to have variety. My price range of affordability is about up to $400 on one book once or twice a year right now, with my other cheaper collecting habits. I'd prefer to stay away from extremely low grade books, 1.5 or worse but I am less bothered by things like a detached cover that is really nice as opposed to having an attached cover that is very beat. DC characters of particular interest are Batman, Superman, and Flash, and on Timely side, Cap, and Submariner. I also have interest in Captain Marvel and Plastic Man, which would probably be less expensive to pursue in my current position. in What do you think would be desirable, realistic books to look out for given these parameters?

Edited by Vexsus

This is definitely me. Despite my focus on Timelys I do not own even a single MM. I'd rather buy Cap books; any Cap books. :sorry:

As a younger person (26) who would like to get into golden age collecting what do you recommend? I tend to be a bit of an unfocused collector, I'd prefer to have say, one example of each major book then 12 consecutive issues of one. I like to have variety. My price range of affordability is about up to $400 on one book once or twice a year right now, with my other cheaper collecting habits. I'd prefer to stay away from extremely low grade books, 1.5 or worse but I am less bothered by things like a detached cover that is really nice as opposed to having an attached cover that is very beat. DC characters of particular interest are Batman, Superman, and Flash, and on Timely side, Cap, and Submariner. I also have interest in Captain Marvel and Plastic Man, which would probably be less expensive to pursue in my current position. in What do you think would be desirable, realistic books to look out for given these parameters?

I highly recommend getting a set of Gerber photo guides (I have an inexpensive set available ) and peruse/study and find issues that appeal to you. Then search out budget copies. Everyone's taste is unique