• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Are you calling David Arnold a "minion" ?  

It is a very purty copy none the less.  I would have to get it re-holdered though...

Not me :whatthe:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Here it is at the Rogofosky show.  And one of his minions holding it at an NYCC.  He got a lot of mileage out of showing off that book!

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Are you calling David Arnold a "minion" ?  

It is a very purty copy none the less.  I would have to get it re-holdered though...

De-holdered? So you can read it? hm

Is it really hard to be a Gators fan right now?

Ten years ago the Gators were in the middle of Tebow and the basketball team was fresh from a natty, now the worst football team at FSU in 40 years smacks down the Gators to earn a record 36th consecutive bowl bid and their basketball team (which is known to attract dozens of fans for a game) is in the elite eight.

7 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Is it really hard to be a Gators fan right now?

Ten years ago the Gators were in the middle of Tebow and the basketball team was fresh from a natty, now the worst football team at FSU in 40 years smacks down the Gators to earn a record 36th consecutive bowl bid and their basketball team (which is known to attract dozens of fans for a game) is in the elite eight.

Not hard at all

gator fans stick with their team through thick and thin

and we all know that the FSU football team had no business going to a bowl game, but played the system to keep a meaningless streak going. 

That said, Hamilton is an excellent basketball recruiter, so I guess he eventually had to coach them boys up good enough to make some March impact... 

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

and we all know that the FSU football team had no business going to a bowl game, but played the system to keep a meaningless streak going. 

That said, Hamilton is an excellent basketball recruiter, so I guess he eventually had to coach them boys up good enough to make some March impact...

Are you talking about rescheduling a postponed game? I'm sure if it meant anything UF would have tried to reschedule the Northern Colorado game, but with the way the team played throughout the year, I don't blame them for not trying - never know when another Georgia Southern scenario might happen.

The consecutive Bowl Game streak is actually a pretty important one as it represents decades of hard work with no breaks. It speaks volumes that in the 100+ years of Bowl Games, only three schools in history have streaks of 30 games or more (not even Alabama, Oklahoma, or Ohio State have one). I agree it's easier to make one now than when they started the streak, but certainly Michigan was upset when their 2nd (now 3rd) longest streak ended a few years back and Nebraska was very proud of the record (as they should have been).

Perhaps in 36 years you might change your mind if the Gators can put together that many solid seasons in a row (if we're even still around).

7 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Are you talking about rescheduling a postponed game? I'm sure if it meant anything UF would have tried to reschedule the Northern Colorado game, but with the way the team played throughout the year, I don't blame them for not trying - never know when another Georgia Southern scenario might happen.

The consecutive Bowl Game streak is actually a pretty important one as it represents decades of hard work with no breaks. It speaks volumes that in the 100+ years of Bowl Games, only three schools in history have streaks of 30 games or more (not even Alabama, Oklahoma, or Ohio State have one). I agree it's easier to make one now than when they started the streak, but certainly Michigan was upset when their 2nd (now 3rd) longest streak ended a few years back and Nebraska was very proud of the record (as they should have been).

Perhaps in 36 years you might change your mind if the Gators can put together that many solid seasons in a row (if we're even still around).

I do agree that in days past going to a bowl meant something. But to most, unless the team is relevant or the bowl is relevant, these days it holds little meaning. 

Both the gators and the seminoles were wretched last year, and going to a bowl by beating a more wretched team, isn’t impressive to most ...if iirc, most all sports nation (except FSU fans) reacted negatively to the continuing of the streak under the circumstances 

Wasn't there some deal about whether one of FSU's cupcake opponents had enough scholarship players for the win to count for bowl eligibility?  Or am I thinking of another school? hm

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I do agree that in days past going to a bowl meant something. But to most, unless the team is relevant or the bowl is relevant, these days it holds little meaning. 

Both the gators and the seminoles were wretched last year, and going to a bowl by beating a more wretched team, isn’t impressive to most ...if iirc, most all sports nation (except FSU fans) reacted negatively to the continuing of the streak under the circumstances 

When you are jaded and the goal is a national championship or bust, I agree. But for a majority of schools, the chance to play in a bowl game is still a nice reward for a job well done.

29 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Wasn't there some deal about whether one of FSU's cupcake opponents had enough scholarship players for the win to count for bowl eligibility?  Or am I thinking of another school?

Yes, that was FSU, but the NCAA cleared it, so all is well. I think it was mainly Virginia Tech fans (who hope to have the streak one day themselves) complaining.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:10 AM, Crowzilla said:

When you are jaded and the goal is a national championship or bust, I agree. But for a majority of schools, the chance to play in a bowl game is still a nice reward for a job well done.

Yes, that was FSU, but the NCAA cleared it, so all is well. I think it was mainly Virginia Tech fans (who hope to have the streak one day themselves) complaining.

I got to thinking, which School has more national championships across sports. Honestly didn’t know so did a little research. (Stats are from 1982 on to keep it “relevant”)

Football

Fl-3

Fsu-3

basketabll

Fl-2

Fsu-0

baseball

Fl-1

Fsu-0

track and field

Fl-4

Fsu-3

and won’t bother  with tennis and swimming and gymnastics and golf and softball etc, where Fl dominates as well

So my conclusion is Fl has a higher expectation of national championships (more than double) than FSU :)