• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

Yes, if you KNOW it was pressed, you should absolutely positively disclose it, without asking. Not disclosing deliberately would mean you would think there was something to hide.

That caveat emptor thing is a carnival game, not what I would expect from the people I trust on here.

It really boggles my mind the rationalizations that people use to hide something that might bother someone else.

That being said, Joey took a very annoying moisture wrinkle out of my Phantom Lady 17, he did a wonderful job. I'm keeping the book ...but if I get really old, forget and someone in my family decides to sell it, I'm disclosing the pressing now. ;)

fully agree!

Looking at the bigger picture, why does pressing, or any other procedure, even need a resto/not resto label?

If CGC were to eliminate the PLOD, and simply list whatever was known about the book, work-wise, it would be up to the individual to decide if something was a deal-breaker or not, rather than simply assume purple label = bad?

Pressing is the obvious poster boy for this as opinions are so strongly divided, but I bet there are other procedures people have varying opinions on. I'd much rather but a book that had staples replaced, for example, than color touch or pieces added. In an all-blue slab universe, I would simply look at a checklist of procedures on the label and decide for myself how much any work done affects how I feel about that particular book, instead of simply branding it with the scarlet, or rather purple, letter.

I can see so many benefits of eliminating purple, I'd love to hear from people who know more than I do (meaning pretty much everyone) about this?

Here's a note: if you truely believe in Disclosure, feel free to buy something from a person who actively Discloses, thereby supporting the person who is doing the right thing.

Nothing that irks me more then reading a comment about "supporting someone who doesn't Press books" while they completely bypass a "known presser's books" even if they are offering Unpressed material.

To me, it seems that many folks use Disclosure as a form of Scarlet Letter a seller has to wear, regardless of whether the said seller offers Pressed books or those that are completely untouched.

Put your money where your mouth is, and all that.

So a presser should only display openness and honesty if anti-pressers are buying his books? meh

Really, is THAT what you got out of my statement? :eyeroll:

copy/paste has really made this quite simple now.

If only it was as simple as applying this logic to explain why it should also be noted on a CGC label.

Or how about the logic of JS dropping glue on all those MH books and they are sill blue? He must have stored them in a glue factory for all those accidents.

Yes, if you KNOW it was pressed, you should absolutely positively disclose it, without asking. Not disclosing deliberately would mean you would think there was something to hide.

That caveat emptor thing is a carnival game, not what I would expect from the people I trust on here.

It really boggles my mind the rationalizations that people use to hide something that might bother someone else.

That being said, Joey took a very annoying moisture wrinkle out of my Phantom Lady 17, he did a wonderful job. I'm keeping the book ...but if I get really old, forget and someone in my family decides to sell it, I'm disclosing the pressing now. ;)

Sha, as always, the voice of reason and wisdom on here (worship)

To everyone that voted no to disclosure I ask why ?

Why not disclose ? (forget moderns anything on ebay as RMA pointed out in another thread) but why not disclose high grade comics on here ?

:popcorn:

Looking at the bigger picture, why does pressing, or any other procedure, even need a resto/not resto label?

If CGC were to eliminate the PLOD, and simply list whatever was known about the book, work-wise, it would be up to the individual to decide if something was a deal-breaker or not, rather than simply assume purple label = bad?

Pressing is the obvious poster boy for this as opinions are so strongly divided, but I bet there are other procedures people have varying opinions on. I'd much rather but a book that had staples replaced, for example, than color touch or pieces added. In an all-blue slab universe, I would simply look at a checklist of procedures on the label and decide for myself how much any work done affects how I feel about that particular book, instead of simply branding it with the scarlet, or rather purple, letter.

I can see so many benefits of eliminating purple, I'd love to hear from people who know more than I do (meaning pretty much everyone) about this?

As I have seen it...before CGC, resto didn't seem to have that huge an impact. There were not so many people chasing 9.8's, grades were simpler. Fair, Good, VG, Fine, NM.

I believe that the purple labels gave CGC something important that they could sell in addition to their regular grading services. Restoration became a huge issue, PLODs were Purple Labels of Death.

I have lots of books that I bought before CGC that have amateur color touch, glue, spit, crayon...didn't really bother me so much, I'd see or not see the "restoration" and pay accordingly.

Once CGC entered the market, there was more competition for perfection ...especially in newer books (OK,70's are newer to me;) .More people cheated...CGC's restoration check became more and more important for people seeking high grade gems. More people noticed restoration...it became much more well known in the hobby.

I even found myself giving back books that had "damage"..I noticed stuff that really never bothered me before. That purple label made a big splash...like the Scarlet Letter...prices on restored books plummeted.

I typed a lot up there, but basically, I totally agree with you, I'd love to see just notes on the labels, heck, I'd love to SEE NOTES on the labels again:) ..I really don't mind restoration at all, I just want to know about it because right now especially, it affects the prices, and although I collect as a hobby, I don't buy things deliberately that are overpriced, whether it's comics or shoes;)

Why not disclose ? (forget moderns anything on ebay as RMA pointed out in another thread) but why not disclose high grade comics on here ?

This is eerily reminiscent of a boardie, who has since fallen to disrepute, and his notion of different grading standards for eBay.

I still think in the long term, pressing is going to hurt the hobby. Conservation, or restoration, it has altered the book in a un-natural and significant way. It should be disclosed. With the tools and technologies currently being used and adminstered in pressing, how can anyone realistically compare this to a stack of encyclopedias pushing down on a comic for a couple of weeks or months?

Here's a note: if you truely believe in Disclosure, feel free to buy something from a person who actively Discloses, thereby supporting the person who is doing the right thing.

Nothing that irks me more then reading a comment about "supporting someone who doesn't Press books" while they completely bypass a "known presser's books" even if they are offering Unpressed material.

To me, it seems that many folks use Disclosure as a form of Scarlet Letter a seller has to wear, regardless of whether the said seller offers Pressed books or those that are completely untouched.

So a presser should only display openness and honesty if anti-pressers are buying his books? meh

Really, is THAT what you got out of my statement? :eyeroll:

There wasn't much else to get. :baiting:

Seriously, George, what you're saying is we must support people who are being honest and open by buying their books, because that's their reward.

Which is a wrong-headed way of looking at things. Being honest and open is surely its own reward?

I get what you're saying about avoiding people who press...no matter that the book in question is declared to be 'unmanipulated'...but in truth, very little of this happens. And half the time when it does happen it's because there's distrust of that statement.

Why? Not necessarily because that person has given any reason to distrust them, but because of the actions of other pressers.

Like the guy who has been selling pressed books without disclosure for three years in the Marketplace.

I'd think that even the pressers and the pro-pressers would like to get rid of that sort of conduct, as it then levels the playing field and makes the whole place entirely transparent.

To maximize profits short term on a transactional basis, a seller of pressed books should never disclose & should lie when asked. Don't get caught.

To maximize profits long term on an industrial basis, a seller of pressed books should disclose at least when asked so as to build market confidence in the brand. Don't get caught in past lies.

To maximize profits long term on an industrial basis on the Boards, a seller of pressed books should disclose before being asked so as to build Marketplace confidence in the brand.

To avoid lying, a seller should tell the truth.

An omission or failure to disclose in the Marketplace might be considered an actus reus or guilty act.

To avoid an actus reus or guilty act, a seller should tell the truth in the Marketplace.

Humanity is replete with lies & failure to avoid the actus reus.

Identify the Best Practices & then do your best in life.

This is eerily reminiscent of a boardie, who has since fallen to disrepute, and his notion of different grading standards for eBay.

??? I'm referring to pressing. I say yes to disclosure for pressing, but I do understand not disclosing on ebay because of the amount of uneducated people out there that will be asking stupid questions.

Anyways. Why not full disclosure on here ? for everything ? Most people on here know what pressing is by now.

Who is this boardie by the way ? and what exactly does that mean ?

??? I'm referring to pressing. I say yes to disclosure for pressing but I do understand not disclosing on ebay for some sellers not disclosing because of the amount of uneducated people out there that will be asking stupid questions.

Anyways. Why not full disclosure on here ? for everything ? Most people on here know what pressing is by now.

You know what is amazing? The problems go away if you assume that people who care are going to ask. And then you tell the truth. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

??? I'm referring to pressing. I say yes to disclosure for pressing but I do understand not disclosing on ebay for some sellers not disclosing because of the amount of uneducated people out there that will be asking stupid questions.

You know what is amazing? The problems go away if you assume that people who care are going to ask. And then you tell the truth. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

You know what is even more amazing?

The problems and the PMs go away if you simply pro-actively and truthfully disclose.

That's a great point, George.

I for one, will buy from someone who discloses the pressing if I want the book.

I still haven't seen any evidence that pressing does or doesn't harm a book (short or long term). I feel the "Pressing Age" of collecting is still new enough that we wont know the ramifications of whether or not the books were damaged until later.

For everyone here, collecting is a short term event in our lives. Even a lt tan or cream/off white PQ book if stored properly, is going to outlast anyone here on these Boards. When we die the book will go to someone else. We will probably not know how pressing affects books in our lifetime.

In the meantime, I still want to be given the courtesy and respect of knowing if any potentialization of a book has occured. "Show me the comicfax" :grin:

You know what is even more amazing?

The problems and the PMs go away if you simply pro-actively and truthfully disclose.

Which is why I completely support it on here. SS was talking about the problems of putting a proactive statement on Ebay. Before he was backhandedly pilloried by comicwiz, whose ability to be holier than thou could likely be classified as a Superior mutation.