• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

I personally think that pressing should be disclosed, BUT I think there are far more important things (beyond resto) that should be disclosed here in the marketplace. Basically any defect or flaw that is structural or has the potential to affect structural integrity, but that isn't readily apparant in the scan should be disclosed:

tape

significant interior tears or pieces out

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

They do state it, when they know it or can find it.

The problem you run into is somebody's detection skills.

You also run into the problem of personal preferences (such as tan lines, date stamps, writing, etc).

It's really, really tough to cover everything, especially if you are a novice seller. We comic people can be very, very fickle. Maybe more so than any other hobby. Just think back to the uproar when the boards changed their appearance.

That's why I tried to keep the list to defects that are structural in nature rather than just aesthetic like date stamps. And also things that aren't always readily apparent in a scan.

What if we had a template or form for the market place? A list of items the seller has to note. For example:

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

I like that a lot, it would make it easier not to forget something. I'd just add Restoration to the list and my favorite ...because even here, people forget to count the damn pages..."complete".

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

Restored:

Complete:

Rsuty Staples:

It's an interesting idea, but maybe too burdensome? I don't know as don't sell on here as much as some of you and usually by pm. I was just thinking it would be nice to have something simple in the guidelines like "Significant defects should be noted." :shrug:

When we were working on creating the CBCA bylaws last year, this was one item that I felt needed to be included in the "disclosure rule." Disclosing pressing is great, but there are other things that are just as, if not more, important to disclose imo, especially here if we consider ourselves a community of fellow collectors.

I personally think that pressing should be disclosed, BUT I think there are far more important things (beyond resto) that should be disclosed here in the marketplace. Basically any defect or flaw that is structural or has the potential to affect structural integrity, but that isn't readily apparant in the scan should be disclosed:

tape

significant interior tears or pieces out

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

They do state it, when they know it or can find it.

The problem you run into is somebody's detection skills.

You also run into the problem of personal preferences (such as tan lines, date stamps, writing, etc).

It's really, really tough to cover everything, especially if you are a novice seller. We comic people can be very, very fickle. Maybe more so than any other hobby. Just think back to the uproar when the boards changed their appearance.

That's why I tried to keep the list to defects that are structural in nature rather than just aesthetic like date stamps. And also things that aren't always readily apparent in a scan.

What if we had a template or form for the market place? A list of items the seller has to note. For example:

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

I like that a lot, it would make it easier not to forget something. I'd just add Restoration to the list and my favorite ...because even here, people forget to count the damn pages..."complete".

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

Restored:

Complete:

Rsuty Staples:

It's an interesting idea, but maybe too burdensome? I don't know as don't sell on here as much as some of you and usually by pm. I was just thinking it would be nice to have something simple in the guidelines like "Significant defects should be noted." :shrug:

When we were working on creating the CBCA bylaws last year, this was one item that I felt needed to be included in the "disclosure rule." Disclosing pressing is great, but there are other things that are just as, if not more, important to disclose imo, especially here if we consider ourselves a community of fellow collectors.

Once a template is created it is a simple Copy/paste in each sale. If you have 50 moderns to list I think this is overkill but for older more expensive books it will work.

you should buy a raw GA book from me... I try to page count them all...did it in NY (have witnesses lol )...it is a great teaching tool too...

I was under the impression that it's a very esoteric area of knowledge. Are all GA books page-numbered, even on the ad pages? It isn't as easy as just looking at the page numbers and looking for a gap--you have to know how many additional sets of pages to look for, or so I've heard.

I post this link at least once a year...it's a wonderful tool. Does not have EVERY book, but it's great.

There are other years not included, like the 1952 and 1954 DC variables....but it's very useful.

http://twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

you should buy a raw GA book from me... I try to page count them all...did it in NY (have witnesses lol )...it is a great teaching tool too...

I was under the impression that it's a very esoteric area of knowledge. Are all GA books page-numbered, even on the ad pages? It isn't as easy as just looking at the page numbers and looking for a gap--you have to know how many additional sets of pages to look for, or so I've heard.

It can be tricky, especially when you get into the eras of paper shortages and half wraps and whatnot. I'm embarrassed to say I've missed missing pages before and now I try hard to make sure I count correctly. Mistakes will always happen and things always slip through the cracks. As long as make a good faith effort and make good on your mistakes that's all anyone can ask.

Only a few publishers had numbers and during the war years, there were a few odd counts, with a fold glued in on one side, but the index helps a lot.

I don't think we could ever force anyone to use it but I am sure if adopted by some it would not be a bad thing.

Super idea!

And it may not be the mandatory norm initially, but as buyers get used to it more and more, they'll expect it if anyone is going to sell on here.

2c

If I've ever bought from a dealer who counted the pages in a book before selling it to me, I would be absolutely shocked. And I'm talking about ANY dealer, including the ones considered the cream of the crop. Storms? Foolkiller? Roy? I'll be shocked if they tell me they count pages on every book. :o

I saw him do it! (thumbs u

I'm not sure about this one gang.

So when I list a CGC book, where anyone can call and get the graders notes, I've got to follow this template? When I run one of my threads where I price everything at 15-20% of guide, I've got to worry about taking the time to do this? I 100% agree with noting a defect that isn’t easy to detect in a scan and providing a grade, but this is a bit much.

Kind of like the pro-active disclosure, why attempt to fix something that isn't broken? I’m all for stating if a book has 100% not been pressed. Anything beyond that is a flame waiting for oxygen. If I sell a book thinking it’s not been pressed and someone gets it and thinks it has, what then??

I may be wrong, but I've not seen a anyone making posts in sales general about the bad experiences that they are having. Whats the harm in sending someone a PM and asking the question 2c