• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

Actually, we have a Chemistry professor here, on the boards, who was looking into this matter and he was not so sure that it had no effect.

I can show you a very expensive book that was pressed by a professional and I just found out that too much heat was used, which crinkled the paper. I'm hoping to have Joey fix it.

:eek:

Good luck with addressing this, Sharon. :wishluck:

paper is just a combination of cellulose strands... the length of those strands is what gives paper its "strength"... pressing has been shown to alter the position of the cellulose strands, but if done properly, does not damage them (this according to a Boston university research on paper and fiber aging, etc...google it)... exposure to light, heat, etc, is what causes the damage over time, in combination with the quality of the initial product (again, the length/strength of the strands)...

again, just info I have discovered in my travels

Actually, we have a Chemistry professor here, on the boards, who was looking into this matter and he was not so sure that it had no effect.

I can show you a very expensive book that was pressed by a professional and I just found out that too much heat was used, which crinkled the paper. I'm hoping to have Joey fix it.

naturally, it has to be done "properly"... as mentioned, heat is one of the main causes of damage to paper (thumbs u

If the paper is only crinkled, i.e. not burned or scorched, then I would say he has a pretty good shot. :wishluck:

What are the thoughts on assuming that all books in the marketplace are pressed unless noted by the seller has having "never been pressed"? Sorry if this has been covered before, but this is a big thread. :ohnoez:

I asked this question a few days ago on page 8 (or 16 depending on your settings of "posts per page").

The general consensus is that according to the poll, most people here want to know if a book for sale has been pressed by the seller before selling it.

As I commented previously, that little bit of disclosure really doesn't disclose anything known previously about the book or about the books that the seller himself (or herself) has not had pressed.

For all anyone knows, their entire collection is pressed even though they bought all the books from a seller who pro-actively discloses and did not have them pressed himself but rather bought them from someone who presses and didn't ask.

I personally believe a declaration of which books were absolutely not pressed is much more useful.

Anything other than that would likely lead to a form of Mcarthyism: polarization between camps, calling out villainy without substantial proof and just a general arguing over what is considered a gray area anyway. It's already turning towards a discussion about honesty and integrity where people are commenting that if someone doesn't disclose pressing that they are likely to hide restoration as well when selling a book. :screwy:

Pressing, when done correctly is undetectable and the amount of harm done to a book is negligible at best. At best! I'd much rather someone disclose if a book was stored in an Arizona warehouse than if a book were pressed. Does that mean we should legislate that as well and vilify people who store their books in hot climates and in stacks of 1000 books?

I think more than pushing for disclosure, which is a fair cause for those interested in it, I'd like to know why disclosure is so important to 2/3 or 3/4 of the people voted since it doesn't really reveal anything concrete about the books history other than it was pressed once.

To me the reason why is much more interesting than the final results.

Heck, let's be honest, a lot of people lurking here and myself are all interested in pro-active disclosure because I'm more tempted to buy a book that hasn't been pressed in order to press it myself.

And for the record, if this community wants pro active disclosure on books sold by me in our marketplace, I am ok with that.

(thumbs u

I personally think that pressing should be disclosed, BUT I think there are far more important things (beyond resto) that should be disclosed here in the marketplace. Basically any defect or flaw that is structural or has the potential to affect structural integrity, but that isn't readily apparant in the scan should be disclosed:

tape

significant interior tears or pieces out

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

I personally think that pressing should be disclosed, BUT I think there are far more important things (beyond resto) that should be disclosed here in the marketplace. Basically any defect or flaw that is structural or has the potential to affect structural integrity, but that isn't readily apparant in the scan should be disclosed:

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

Absolutely agree. And if you look at any of my past sales threads, you will see all of those noted when appropriate.

Unfortunately, as all of those bar the tape are not considered restoration by CGC, I'm sure we as buyers have to pro-actively ask about every single potential defect. meh

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

I'm sure some do.

I'm also sure some don't.

Sound familiar?

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

They do state it, when they know it or can find it.

The problem you run into is somebody's detection skills.

You also run into the problem of personal preferences (such as tan lines, date stamps, writing, etc).

It's really, really tough to cover everything, especially if you are a novice seller. We comic people can be very, very fickle. Maybe more so than any other hobby. Just think back to the uproar when the boards changed their appearance.

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

I'm sure some do.

I'm also sure some don't.

Sound familiar?

Exactly my point. I would like to see as much effort put into insuring that these much more serious defects are disclosed here in the marketplace as has been put into the pressing issue.

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

You also run into the problem of personal preferences (such as tan lines, date stamps, writing, etc).

It's really, really tough to cover everything, especially if you are a novice seller. We comic people can be very, very fickle. Maybe more so than any other hobby. Just think back to the uproar when the boards changed their appearance.

That's why I tried to keep the list to defects that are structural in nature rather than just aesthetic like date stamps. And also things that aren't always readily apparent in a scan.

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

That's why I tried to keep the list to defects that are structural in nature rather than just aesthetic like date stamps. And also things that aren't always readily apparent in a scan.

What if we had a template or form for the market place? A list of items the seller has to note. For example:

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

What if we had a template or form for the market place? A list of items the seller has to note. For example:

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

I like that a lot, it would make it easier not to forget something. I'd just add Restoration to the list and my favorite ...because even here, people forget to count the damn pages..."complete".

tape

brittle pages

loose centerfolds

rusty staples/migration

moisture damage

People dont state this?

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

I like that a lot, it would make it easier not to forget something. I'd just add Restoration to the list and my favorite ...because even here, people forget to count the damn pages..."complete".

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

Restored:

Complete:

Rsuty Staples:

If I've ever bought from a dealer who counted the pages in a book before selling it to me, I would be absolutely shocked. And I'm talking about ANY dealer, including the ones considered the cream of the crop. Storms? Foolkiller? Roy? I'll be shocked if they tell me they count pages on every book. :o

If I've ever bought from a dealer who counted the pages in a book before selling it to me, I would be absolutely shocked. And I'm talking about ANY dealer, including the ones considered the cream of the crop. Storms? Foolkiller? Roy? I'll be shocked if they tell me they count pages on every book. :o

you should buy a raw GA book from me... I try to page count them all...did it in NY (have witnesses lol )...it is a great teaching tool too...

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

hm Noted for future use. I like this personally. (thumbs u