• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crime SuspenStories 22 club
9 9

727 posts in this topic

I wanted the one gold dust had recently, but didn't want to part with the funds at the time. But I think this year I will pick up a copy

Get in line lol I was literally seconds late to nabbing the 6.0 copy sold on the boards a few weeks back :pullhair::cry:

I wanted the one gold dust had recently, but didn't want to part with the funds at the time. But I think this year I will pick up a copy

Get in line lol I was literally seconds late to nabbing the 6.0 copy sold on the boards a few weeks back :pullhair::cry:

I want a nice presenting VG Angelo.. You guys and your deep pockets :baiting:

I know the Guide is way out of whack (more like outdated), but should this book be worth than Vault of Horror#12 ? Both are important issues, but the CS#22 seems to have a cult following solely for its cover ?

CSS 22 certainly draws its market for its cover. Although the VF+ copy'll do very well in this auction, it shouldn't really hold a candle to Vault Of Horror 12, which is (along with Crypt 17) the biggest grail in the E.C. canon, and is considerably scarcer.

However both books are equally scarce in high grade, with CSS 22 having the greater historical notoriety (due to its role in the Senate hearings). An 8.0 copy of VOH 12 sold last year for $3346, and it's quite possible the CSS 22 in 8.5 could go above that.

There are so few documented sales on GPA of these books in high grade. A 9.0 Gaines copy of CSS 22 sold for $2358, but that was nine years ago. Lord knows what that copy would go for now.

What's the deal with VOH 12 & TFTC 17? What makes them the grails?

Vault Of Horror 12 and Crypt Of Terror 17 are considered by all E.C. fans to be the beginning of the New Trend (i.e. the period of E.C. comics that everyone cherishes) when the publisher came into its own. They were to all intents and purposes premier issues, despite certain elements of each title appearing earlier.

The other neat thing about VOH#12 is that unlike CSS#22, there are no true Gaines file copies. There is one that's labeled a Gaines file copy (I believe it's the 9.2 on the census), but it was disclosed a few years ago that that copy was actually bought by Bill Gaines from Metro in the aftermarket. Gaines had not put any VOH#12s away. That's the big reason why the book is so rare in high grade and why, with its historical significance, really should sell for a lot more than current GPA/price guides indicate.

The other neat thing about VOH#12 is that unlike CSS#22, there are no true Gaines file copies. There is one that's labeled a Gaines file copy (I believe it's the 9.2 on the census), but it was disclosed a few years ago that that copy was actually bought by Bill Gaines from Metro in the aftermarket. Gaines had not put any VOH#12s away. That's the big reason why the book is so rare in high grade and why, with its historical significance, really should sell for a lot more than current GPA/price guides indicate.

This is interesting. When did Gaines start filing copies? Was it when he began the New Trend stuff? Are there file copies of comics before then? (Moon Girl, War Against Crime, etc.)

This is interesting. When did Gaines start filing copies? Was it when he began the New Trend stuff? Are there file copies of comics before then? (Moon Girl, War Against Crime, etc.)

That's pretty much right. There are Gaines file copies of pretty much all the New Trend and New Direction books, including the Crime Patrol and War Against Crime books that featured horror stories, but very few of any of the other Pre-trend books. There are file copies of the Picture Stories from the Bible and American History series but that's about it. High grade pre-trend ECs are VERY DIFFICULT to come by (I've been looking for a good ten years now) and frankly should command a strong premium. There are no Gaines file copies of Moon Girl that I have seen, and the only War Against Crime file copies are #10 and #11.

Just bought my first copy today off the boards! :banana:

the 1.0? that was a nice deal. Id have bought it if you hadn't.

That's the one - I'll post up a scan when I get it. I'm excited to get it in a nice, shiny Mylar. (thumbs u