• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest OA Prices

318 posts in this topic

Though I have a lot of fine art lithographs rather than paintings or drawings, I have always hung my comic art together with "fine art" in my home. I know a lot of folks say "my wife doesn't let me hang my comic art in the main part of the house so my collection is down in the man cave or my home office or whatever and I can certainly relate to that from a "former" marraige, when only a limited amount of my comic art was on the wall, but for me, its all art and I have a room with Miro, Lautrec and Picasso hanging with Toth, Eisner and Hogarth, as well as a room with Chagall, Debuffet and Kandinski hanging with Kirby, Foster and Sale-and photography by my wife and pastels by my art student daughter. I do think there is such a thing as museum quality art and I think that comic art will eventually find its place in major museums just like Rockwell, Parrish, Leyendecker and NC Wyeth are finding their way into major collections. It took quite a while for illustrators to be seen as worthy additions to museum collections-but Mucha, Steinlen, Lautrec and other "fine" artists were essentially commercial artists in their time and much of the division between commercial art and fine art will fade over time as the commercial root of the art becomes part of the distant past

I know this is a different level of collecting, the under 10k crowd who are in the 40-47 age which is where most of my friends and myself are located; but I have noticed that we have pretty much all expanded into other area areas like historical strip art, underground etc so maybe that is a positive sign for the whole hobby. Nostalgia only being a gateway, and then a serious interest in the aesthetics of the medium and it's history. I would have to guess that we are not the only ones who think this way.

I've only been collecting a few years with a smaller budget, but I find myself moving in this direction. As much as I'd love to aquire an early Kirby FF page, I can get more 'bang for the buck' on older OA that I can appreciate aesthetically and historically although it doesn't scratch the same nostalgic itch.

Though I have a lot of fine art lithographs rather than paintings or drawings, I have always hung my comic art together with "fine art" in my home. I know a lot of folks say "my wife doesn't let me hang my comic art in the main part of the house so my collection is down in the man cave or my home office or whatever and I can certainly relate to that from a "former" marraige, when only a limited amount of my comic art was on the wall, but for me, its all art and I have a room with Miro, Lautrec and Picasso hanging with Toth, Eisner and Hogarth, as well as a room with Chagall, Debuffet and Kandinski hanging with Kirby, Foster and Sale-and photography by my wife and pastels by my art student daughter. I do think there is such a thing as museum quality art and I think that comic art will eventually find its place in major museums just like Rockwell, Parrish, Leyendecker and NC Wyeth are finding their way into major collections. It took quite a while for illustrators to be seen as worthy additions to museum collections-but Mucha, Steinlen, Lautrec and other "fine" artists were essentially commercial artists in their time and much of the division between commercial art and fine art will fade over time as the commercial root of the art becomes part of the distant past

..... nice post. I, too, have been less concerned about the original purpose of a piece of art.... after all, most art is produced with a "commercial" intent or desire of some sort.... although as an artist myself, I have certainly done pieces just for the sake of doing it. Mucha is one of my favorite artists from one of my favorite periods ...... to disregard his fantastic talent because he didn't starve long enough seems silly. I am also happy to see that NC Wyeth is being more well received by the Fine Art community after many years of being "just" a commercial artist. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S Well publicized auctions by firms like Heritage that feature Advertising Art and such are definitely not hurting things.

I picked up the COMPLETE Amazing Spider-Man #20 story!

It's the classic FIRST SCORPION APPEARANCE issue with one of the best Splash pages in the entire run.

I will be posting pictures of the art on my website in my Spider-man collection gallery shortly.

The ASM 20 book i believe has more battle pages (9) than any of the first 38 Ditko ASM issues!

Spiderman battles the Scorpion 3 seperate times in the issue!

The art is simply Stunning!

It's the classic FIRST SCORPION APPEARANCE issue with one of the best Splash pages in the entire run.

I will be posting pictures of the art on my website in my Spider-man collection gallery shortly.

The ASM 20 book i believe has more battle pages (9) than any of the first 38 Ditko ASM issues!

wow! congrats

Wow. I will hold some spots in the list for you (thumbs u

I keep checking Mike's site to look at the ASM 20 pages. Nothing yet. Are the best pages going to be sold before he puts the book up on his site?

Too bad if so, it would have been nice to have seen them, at least. That's the way it goes, I suppose.

I keep checking Mike's site to look at the ASM 20 pages. Nothing yet. Are the best pages going to be sold before he puts the book up on his site?

Too bad if so, it would have been nice to have seen them, at least. That's the way it goes, I suppose.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but probably a dozen people have mentioned to me that there is some sort of (legal?) agreement in place whereby the book cannot be broken up and must be sold complete if it changes hands again during a set timeframe.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but probably a dozen people have mentioned to me that there is some sort of (legal?) agreement in place whereby the book cannot be broken up and must be sold complete if it changes hands again during a set timeframe.

Ahh. Thanks for the info.

It would be awesome if Mike were able to post the pages on his site, if that wouldn't affect their valuation or saleability.

It would be really cool to see them.

Can you do this?

In Australia at least, the courts are very reluctant to allow sellers to carve out perpetual property rights in chattels which they have sold. I am also unsure how you could enforce such a clause on a 3rd party purchaser for value, with no privity I think it would be impossible and the original seller could only sue the on-seller for damages. And then you would encounter the issue quantifying such damages, which i think are negligible in the case of the original seller.

Can you do this?

In Australia at least, the courts are very reluctant to allow sellers to carve out perpetual property rights in chattels which they have sold. I am also unsure how you could enforce such a clause on a 3rd party purchaser for value, with no privity I think it would be impossible and the original seller could only sue the on-seller for damages. And then you would encounter the issue quantifying such damages, which i think are negligible in the case of the original seller.

Beside the point. 2c Tick the seller off and he's not doing business with you again and/or it may smear your rep.

For now i'm keeping the ASM 20 book complete!

But.... As crazy as this may sound.... I just did ANOTHER deal with another person and i'm getting wha tis considered a "BETTER" complete Ditko ASM book then the 20! So Stay tuned...i'll be posting it in 2 weeks or so on my website. :)

www.romitaman.com