• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold/Silver/Bronze collector ages?

43 posts in this topic

As a follow-up to my earlier poll regarding the year we started reading comics, I'd be curious to know what the ages are of the gold, silver, bronze, and modern collectors on the board? There have been a lot of threads recently about people here starting to collect "older" comic book ages than they had before, which mirrors the path I personally went down (Bronze to Silver to Gold). So...please check out the Collecting Polls forum and vote (if you collect 'em all, then answer 'em all)!!

I started reading and collecting comics in 1973 so it was mostly Bronze for me then later on I started collecting Silver. I haven't broaden my horizons to take on Gold, but plan on purchasing at least one Golden Age book soon. I think a lot of Golden Age books have some really cool covers.

The first golden age books I started collecting were the Barks DD Four Colors (and various other Disneys) and ended up buying most of them in the hardcover libraries...great stories and stuff that my kids would even enjoy! I also bought a couple Barks "books" and read them the Uncle Scrooge/X-mas Carol story he painted, and they love "The Lemonade King". Not really comics per se, but they're neat...

These days however, I'm strictly a cover collector when it comes to Golden Age books! thumbsup2.gif

The first golden age books I started collecting were the Barks DD Four Colors (and various other Disneys) and ended up buying most of them in the hardcover libraries...great stories and stuff that my kids would even enjoy! I also bought a couple Barks "books" and read them the Uncle Scrooge/X-mas Carol story he painted, and they love "The Lemonade King". Not really comics per se, but they're neat...

These days however, I'm strictly a cover collector when it comes to Golden Age books! thumbsup2.gif

Yes, that would be also be me for buying any Golden Age books, just want those cool covers.

I started collecting in 2001 confused-smiley-013.gif

I mainly buy Bronze and Silver Age Marvel books and about 10 new books a month (Marvel & DC)

Ok, so you admit you're a newbie!?!? Then answer me this - are you now, or have you ever been, a speculator!?!?!? mad.gif

So, how do we answer if we started when a wee bairn back in the early 70's, went on the wagon for 20 years after selling off our entire collection, and then fell off and basically resumed collecting much the same way as before?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

So, how do we answer if we started when a wee bairn back in the early 70's, went on the wagon for 20 years after selling off our entire collection, and then fell off and basically resumed collecting much the same way as before?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Hmmm...my polls were when did you start reading (70's), and how old are you now. You'll have to ask mmmmmarvel about his "when did you start collecting" poll, but in your case I'd guess the 70's is the correct answer! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm a youngen', 29. I didn't start buying comics till about 1984, when I was 10. All the Marvel lines: X-Men, Daredevil, and Iron Man specifically. I've been a Batman NUT since the age of 4 (1978) watching the Superfriends cartoon and daily reruns of the TV show, but was too young for comics.

I haven't been a comic enthusiast all my life, not until I started earning money to buy them, around 1996. I've mainly been interested in Silver age, as my budget doesn't allow for many Golden age purchases. But have recently gotten into Bronze age stuff, as it is finally making a name for itself. In the past, I never wanted to bother with those $10 books. Now, they can get quite valueable.

My question is: How many people here are comic fans, and actually read and enjoy them, versus those who like investing? I do both.

I started buying Archie and Richie Rich in 1973(at age 8), then moved on to Marvel & DC in late '75, early '76. I picked up my first Silver Age at the local swap meet, mostly Daredevil issues from 20-40 for $1 each, probably around '78. Started buying Golden Age in '83.

These days I buy from all eras. And yes, most of my buying decisions are based on how cool the cover is.

I stopped buying individual issues of moderns early last year, but buy trade paperbacks every month. I just prefer the format, and trades look better on the shelf.

Started collecting in 1966 at the age of 11. Have stuck pretty solidly to Silver Age although in the 80's I did buy Daredevil, Swamp Thing, and an assortment of other books.

Over the course of the last six months I have purchased a handful of ECs and a couple copies of Jack Kirby Black Magic books, but my CGC collecting is up till now limited to Marvel silver age.

I will say that through reading the discussions on these boards, and having folks post scans of their books, my awareness and appreciation of non-Marvel-silver-age books has expanded enormously. I was always an isolated collector and I've really enjoyed the community on the boards.

Now I've got to stop before I begin to weep!

Red

I started collecting in 2001 confused-smiley-013.gif

I mainly buy Bronze and Silver Age Marvel books and about 10 new books a month (Marvel & DC)

Ok, so you admit you're a newbie!?!? Then answer me this - are you now, or have you ever been, a speculator!?!?!? mad.gif

Well no, but I have been a gypsie on occasions...and have always been kinda trampy too I guess... confused-smiley-013.gif

Started collecting in 1973, aged 10. Developed interest in Silver Age about 5-6 years later, but didn't have the money to really build a decent collection, except for Daredevil, which was a cheap title in '79/80.

Quit collecting in 1983/4 due to college, no money and general loss of interest. At this stage had very little knowledge of anything before 1960 (as access was severely limited in the U.K. to G.A./1950s books back then.)

Got back into comics in 1992. Basically started off with Modern, then worked backwards. These days I collect everything but am far more interested in pre-code horror, icon covers, Timelys, Quality, Fiction House, and high grade B.A. DCs and Marvels (the stuff I originally collected).

Biggest regret: I spent most of 1991 travelling across the U.S., going from east to west, visiting many of the big cities en route. Didn't buy any comics due to complete lack of interest at the time, despite seeing many shops. Damn. frown.gif

Started reading comics in 1973, since that was when I was in first grade and was taught to read, but got my first books in '70 or '71, and would look at the pictures. I never threw my comics out, but did not get boxes, boards and bags until 1981. So, I start my collecting year in '81, when I boarded and baged them and put them in long boxes, I guess I was a comic saver until '81. I used to keep them stacked in the corner of my closet up until then, but noticed the spine roll thing about '77 or '78, so I laid a Britannica on the floor,re-stacked, and then put another Brittanica at the half-way point, and then one on top. I collect SA, BA and MA, and I'm 37 now-born 1967.

I got into Gold and Silver Age comics early as I could find them and Platinum Age books at Antique shops and Flea Markets. After a short time I slowed down on what I was reading in new comics and went looking for the older ones. Once the early 90's came around I decided to strictly look for vintage comics.

Started reading comics in 1973, since that was when I was in first grade and was taught to read, but got my first books in '70 or '71, and would look at the pictures. I never threw my comics out, but did not get boxes, boards and bags until 1981. So, I start my collecting year in '81, when I boarded and baged them and put them in long boxes, I guess I was a comic saver until '81. I used to keep them stacked in the corner of my closet up until then, but noticed the spine roll thing about '77 or '78, so I laid a Britannica on the floor,re-stacked, and then put another Brittanica at the half-way point, and then one on top. I collect SA, BA and MA, and I'm 37 now-born 1967.

Pretty much same here...

Started in the early 70's reading my oldest brother's comics. Started buying my own in the early 80's from a used bookstore and the local 7-11. Started subscribing to Westfield Comics when in high school (and other subscription services) for new issues. Stopped and started again a couple of times since then.

I was one of those who dropped out in the late 80's - early 90's. At that time, I had maybe 20 long boxes. Now I have over 350. crazy.gif