• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's a new Media Mail twist

53 posts in this topic

I don't think there's a way to prove that. You could always write on a new Priority box if that were the case.

So if you use a Priority Box as packaging material, then you need to pay Priority Rates if they open it and discover that.

Whenever I reuse a priority box I just wrap it in brown paper, but underneath is the entire box still intact just the way it arrived at my door. If it's stamped then I don't see why I can't use it however I see fit rather than throw it away (shrug)
I like your thinking...unfortunately, the gov doesn't always let us do what we set fit to do lol

I don't think there's a way to prove that. You could always write on a new Priority box if that were the case.

So if you use a Priority Box as packaging material, then you need to pay Priority Rates if they open it and discover that.

Whenever I reuse a priority box I just wrap it in brown paper, but underneath is the entire box still intact just the way it arrived at my door. If it's stamped then I don't see why I can't use it however I see fit rather than throw it away (shrug)
I like your thinking...unfortunately, the gov doesn't always let us do what we set fit to do lol

Like print our own money :idea:

I make up for the difference in all the Priority packing material I use. All my books get put in a Tyvek Priority bag, then sandwiched between a cut up Priority box. That gets taped with Priority tape and put into a Priority box that then gets put into a larger Priority box and taped with more Priority tape.

All total I think I use 4 Priority products plus their tape. lol lol lolmeh

that is the postal policy ...it is even printed right on the supplies

I finally got low on my used-box pile, and have started using my old priority mail boxes. Of course, these are so old that they don't have the "priority mail only" warning printed on the inside. So I turn the boxes inside out, and hope no one opens it :)

The Post Office is bleeding money. So expect the nickel-and-diming, micro-regulation, rate increases, and other non-customer-friendly measures to continue.

I actually always thought it was pretty generous for the USPS to offer free stuff like boxes and couldn't believe it when I first heard of it. That stuff is unheard of up here with Canada Post. If you want a container (like an envelope) that is used for a specific service, you pay for the service before you get the container.

Unfortunately, because the priority boxes are not being used for the purpose that they were intended to be used for, they don't recover their cost for producing them.

I'd expect them to cut this service (free boxes) soon the way things are going and start charging for them.

I actually always thought it was pretty generous for the USPS to offer free stuff like boxes and couldn't believe it when I first heard of it.

Not just free boxes, but they will ship them to your house if you setup a free USPS account. I ordered 50 Priority 1095 boxes, and they mailed them directly to my home at no charge to me at all.

I count on this going away due to all the cost cutting that is taking place.

I actually always thought it was pretty generous for the USPS to offer free stuff like boxes and couldn't believe it when I first heard of it.

Not just free boxes, but they will ship them to your house if you setup a free USPS account. I ordered 50 Priority 1095 boxes, and they mailed them directly to my home at no charge to me at all.

OMG, that's just insane.

:tonofbricks:

OMG, that's just insane.

Now you see why they bring down the pain when you misuse those boxes. The USPS makes it super-easy for folks to get these supplies.

OMG, that's just insane.

Now you see why they bring down the pain when you misuse those boxes. The USPS makes it super-easy for folks to get these supplies.

If they charged for the box by forcing people to pay for the service for every box they used they'd save themselves tons of pain. Instead they are pouring good money after bad by trying to enforce people's misuse.

Fail.

Edit. I pay about $1-2 a box for my CGC packages because it's the cheapest I could find. I still can't believe they're free for you guys.

OMG, that's just insane.

If they charged for the box by forcing people to pay for the service for every box they used they'd save themselves tons of pain. Instead they are pouring good money after bad by trying to enforce people's misuse.

Fail.

Edit. I pay about $1-2 a box for my CGC packages because it's the cheapest I could find. I still can't believe they're free for you guys.

I might actually be more inclined to use Priority boxes properly if they did that. Then I could just drive up to the drop box and stuff it in there. No more waiting in line (thumbs u

Don't be a stupid cheap and ship comics Media Mail. Pay the extra - what is it, a DOLLAR?!? :mad: - for Priority Mail. Quit your whining about it. Jesus, this is a complete waste of everybody's time.

Don't be a stupid cheap and ship comics Media Mail. Pay the extra - what is it, a DOLLAR?!? :mad: - for Priority Mail. Quit your whining about it. Jesus, this is a complete waste of everybody's time.

You must use flat rate envelopes...it's about $9.55 for me to mail anything between 1 and 2 lbs to CA... anything over 1lb gets bumped to 2... and if you pack in a box, anything over 2 comics is more than 1lb.

OMG, that's just insane.

Fail.

Don’t write-off the post office as being generous too quickly. It could very well be that they just understand the price to compete in the market place.

My company has been given free shipping supplies (delivered to our door) from UPS and FedEx for years. I don’t anticipate that going away anytime soon.

We started using USPS on a limited basis a year or so ago and would not have even considered it had we had to furnish our own packing supplies. 2c

You must use flat rate envelopes...it's about $9.55 for me to mail anything between 1 and 2 lbs to CA... anything over 1lb gets bumped to 2... and if you pack in a box, anything over 2 comics is more than 1lb.

Use flat rate envelopes. Sandwich the book between two sheets of 200# corrugated cardboard (which you can buy for 50 cents per sheet shipped from Paper Mart) Always ship this way, it saves you significant time and money.