• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr Off Amazing Spider-man and ges to Wolverine and Punisher

18 posts in this topic

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9882

UPDATED: ROMITA JR.: TAKING ON WOLVERINE & PUNISHER

Apparently a bag does not yet exist in which Marvel can keep a cat...

Last night (2/29) on Fanboy Radio, current Amazing Spider-Man artist John Romita Jr. announced that he will be taking over the pencils of Wolverine with Mark Millar writing, as well as an arc of Punisher under Garth Ennis' scripts.

Romita Jr. said that he hasn't started on Wolverine yet, but that he would be taking a break after two more issues to work on the other series. Klaus Janson will reportedly ink on Wolverine.

According to Romita, the two runs on the respective series will be a years' worth of work, and he doesn't know exactly when he will be getting back to Amazing, but he does consider his time away from the series as a sabbatical, rather than a full-out departure.

As for timing, Greg Rucka's commitment on Wolverine was to last 18 issues, which, if the issues continue their monthly shipping, would start Millar and Romita Jr. on the series with #19 in August, presuming no fill-in issues between the completion of Rucka and Darick Robertson's run and that of the new creators.

In regards to Punisher, Lewis Larosa's first arc on the series ends in April, with a new arc by a yet-unnamed artist kicking off in May. Presumably, Romita Jr. would begin following the completion of that arc, possibly in late fall if it is another six-part arc as the first was.

Romita Jr. also said that he's looking to rectify the situation where covers don't match the interiors, and is working on Amazing Spider-Man covers that reflect the interior stories.

When contacted by Newsarama, Marvel would neither confirm nor deny Romita's comments about his future plans.

Updated 3/1: 10:00 pm: When contacted by Newsarama, Romita Jr. was quick to confirm the new duties, saying "Yeah, it's true! I've got two more issues of Amazing ( 507, 508) then I'm on Wolvie and Punisher. I'm gonna do a minimum of 12 issues on Wolverine and at least 6 on Punisher (Max) I think."

Now that Spider-Man is the most boring comic on the stands, Marvel has decided to let JR jr spread his mediocrity to other titles. 27_laughing.giffrown.gif

USM got chopped from my list 2 months ago.... ASM will go this month. The sappy Aunt May rumination issue was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

How To Make a Spider-man Comic

10 panels of soulful, big-eyed reactions shots

10 panels of Peter helping a bright, but disadvantaged, student

8 panels of establishing shots just so we know where the characters are having their boring conversations

6 panels of Aunt May worrying about Peter

6 panels of Peter thinking about how much he loves MJ

4 panels of a shadowy figure making mysterious and oblique threats

3 panels of some guys on the street drooling over MJ

1 nondescript, stock image cover

Shake well, put number on cover and print. 893whatthe.gif

Romita Jr. might not be the only one going off of Amazing. I hear that the book might be completely overhauled when JRJr takes his "sabbatical".

Wolverine and Punisher.... I'm less jaded about what JRJr can do on these books but I'm not really interested in either one of those characters.

Kev

Romita Jr. might not be the only one going off of Amazing. I hear that the book might be completely overhauled when JRJr takes his "sabbatical".

Top little to late to keep me reading it. After about 20 issues of JMS it started to feel like I was reading the same issue over and over again. Like he was just cutting and pasting text from one issue to the next. I'm having a feeling that Supreme Power may be going in the same direction. frown.gif

Top little to late to keep me reading it. After about 20 issues of JMS it started to feel like I was reading the same issue over and over again. Like he was just cutting and pasting text from one issue to the next. I'm having a feeling that Supreme Power may be going in the same direction. frown.gif

Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking how awful ASM has been lately. I keep hearing how great a writer JMS is but I cannot read that book. It's boring and way too wordy.

Now that Spider-Man is the most boring comic on the stands, Marvel has decided to let JR jr spread his mediocrity to other titles. 27_laughing.giffrown.gif

USM got chopped from my list 2 months ago.... ASM will go this month. The sappy Aunt May rumination issue was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

How To Make a Spider-man Comic

10 panels of soulful, big-eyed reactions shots

10 panels of Peter helping a bright, but disadvantaged, student

8 panels of establishing shots just so we know where the characters are having their boring conversations

6 panels of Aunt May worrying about Peter

6 panels of Peter thinking about how much he loves MJ

4 panels of a shadowy figure making mysterious and oblique threats

3 panels of some guys on the street drooling over MJ

1 nondescript, stock image cover

Shake well, put number on cover and print. 893whatthe.gif

Zipper do you work for Marvel? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Zipper do you work for Marvel? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Actually, I do write a lot for my job... brochures, newsletters, proposals, speeches, etc. Most of which is more exciting than your run-of-the-mill Marvel comic these days.

(A few years back when I was fresh out of college and still had stars in my eyes, I wrote a few spec screenplays and an episode of the Simpsons. I got a few bites on the screenplays, but nothing ever came of them. The Simpsons I did for myself as an excercise and I never sent it anywhere. I doubt they accept spec scripts anyway. Now I'm a corporate hack. tongue.gif )

Yea I've been hating the direction they've been taking spidey.

JMS needs to stop writing it.

John ROmita Jr. though a good artist is no John Romita.

Period!

Plus....change Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus's costumes back to normal!!!!

This angers me that they made the doc look hip because of the movie, and made the Goblin look japanese because of MANGA.....never should of brough norman back.....though it was interesting that Normon Osborne was the mastermind of the whole crappy clone saga.

MARVEL loves ruining thier characters.

I think JMS has the benefit of what I call "White Stripes syndrome." Enough critics have claimed it's brilliant that masses of people flock to it and feel too intimidated to just come out and say, "um, it's really just not that good, man..."

And since JRJR bores the heck out of me, I'm eager to see what happens with ASM art next, too.

umm, so how much would my JRJR signed Uncanny X-Men #300 be worth?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think JMS has the benefit of what I call "White Stripes syndrome." Enough critics have claimed it's brilliant that masses of people flock to it and feel too intimidated to just come out and say, "um, it's really just not that good, man..."

And since JRJR bores the heck out of me, I'm eager to see what happens with ASM art next, too.

I actually like the White Stripes. Maybe the Strokes are a better fit for that analogy.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif hmmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Romita Jr. also said that he's looking to rectify the situation where covers don't match the interiors, and is working on Amazing Spider-Man covers that reflect the interior stories.

893applaud-thumb.gif