• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

OR, since the success of the TV show, rude collectors who are short on manners and social skills have been pestering the living out of him and this is his way of saying, "Leave us alone. If you REALLY want it. We'll sell it for THIS price."

How many artists are out there today, who aren't the ones truly reaping the reward of the worth of their original art on TODAY's market?

There is no retirement plan in place for comic book artists.

FYI, I was not a potential buyer as i felt they were overpriced to begin with.

In regards to retirement plan. If he feels so dear about his work, he can keep it off the market untill he actually retires.

And as for my social skills: you breath

How's that for social skills....

I think he was referring to the OP's social skills. Not yours.

Because they sure seem to have become dearer with the tv shows success.

Have you ever had anything made into a TV show?

As an artist, I can say that if something I drew were made into a TV show, it would damn well be dear to me, and in order for me to part with it there would have to be a substantial sum offered to me.

So, I say it's 100% heartfelt. It doesn't cost him anything to own it. It's his.

I don't understand why people think the artist doesn't have a right to keep something if he wants to. If you want it, offer stupid money for it, but he doesn't have to sell it.

The point, Steve, is that it wasn't so near and dear to his heart until after the television show was broadcast. Apparently, affection has a price that fluctuates with Nielsen rating popularity.

Right, basically, it's just hypocrisy on his part. And frankly, that's what's so distasteful. It's claiming that he really "loves" it when that's not really true, he just wants to get more money, and while that's not problematic in and of itself, it's a little hard to believe that it's driven by anything else. Instead of saying that it's about his love of the art, just say what it is, I want to get paid more now that it's popular. It's like Clemens or any other athlete who claimed that the reason they left their team was for anything other than the money.

Nobody thinks he's going to relent, and frankly I hope he ends up with getting his wish, stuck with it.

Let it rest, Tony and Kara are great people.

I agree, he can price his carp how ever he wants, it's his carp after all.

But then don't write carp like:

Above all, the fact is, these pages are very dear to me personally, and the price tag is what it takes to get me to allow them to leave my personal possession.

OR, since the success of the TV show, rude collectors who are short on manners and social skills have been pestering the living out of him and this is his way of saying, "Leave us alone. If you REALLY want it. We'll sell it for THIS price."

How many artists are out there today, who aren't the ones truly reaping the reward of the worth of their original art on TODAY's market?

No because he was willing to sell it earlier for cheaper prices. If it was really about leave us alone, he never would have offered the pieces for sale in teh first place. It's jacked as a money grab. There's nothing wrong with it, but don't tell me how much you love it.

How much earlier Brian? Tony hasn't been on the convention circuit as much these last couple years as he was in 2005-2008. Some of these pages were prices at $2,000 or more two years ago.

He wasn't at a show yesterday with the pages priced at $500 a piece.

In 2005 they were over a thousand a piece for finished pages.

We are talking about prices increased over a 5 year period. They have always been at what some people think is over market. That was for several reasons, a finite supply given that he wasn't working on the book anymore, and personal love for the work without a need to move it at bargain prices.

Look at it this way. If you had a book you liked a lot and would not sell it for less than double guide because it was a favorite would you leave it at double 2005 or 2008 guide or would that price change with whatever perceived market value was.

A lot of people talking about the increase in the price of this original art don't have much experience with OA. It's not uncommon in the OA market to have pieces double or triple in value in a single year. It's happened to several pieces I own. I have pieces that are worth 20 times what they were in 1999.

The hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over the jump in OA price doesn't seem to take into account the time lapse in the increase in prices and where Tony's prices from years ago compare to the market at that time. Tony's always loved these pieces, priced them accordingly, and the new prices don't indicate a change in desire or intent.

I just think given that most people are referring to 2 year old price levels (or older) it clouding the discussion, and in OA circles 2 year old prices might as well not exist given their respective relevance to today's market.

As an artist, I can say that if something I drew were made into a TV show, it would damn well be dear to me, and in order for me to part with it there would have to be a substantial sum offered to me.

So, I say it's 100% heartfelt. It doesn't cost him anything to own it. It's his.

I don't understand why people think the artist doesn't have a right to keep something if he wants to. If you want it, offer stupid money for it, but he doesn't have to sell it.

The point, Steve, is that it wasn't so near and dear to his heart until after the television show was broadcast. Apparently, affection has a price that fluctuates with Nielsen rating popularity.

Right, basically, it's just hypocrisy on his part. And frankly, that's what's so distasteful. It's claiming that he really "loves" it when that's not really true, he just wants to get more money, and while that's not problematic in and of itself, it's a little hard to believe that it's driven by anything else. Instead of saying that it's about his love of the art, just say what it is, I want to get paid more now that it's popular. It's like Clemens or any other athlete who claimed that the reason they left their team was for anything other than the money.

Nobody thinks he's going to relent, and frankly I hope he ends up with getting his wish, stuck with it.

I don't care if they are or they aren't. It's totally irrelevant and not a reason to discontinue a discussion about pricing which we do all the time on the boards. When people say, he Matt Nelson is a great guy (and he is) we certainly don't let issues die. Whether some people think they are nice, is totally off point.

I don't know them and I'm only discussing this from the point of the pricing alone. You can't have it both ways: I'm sure he loves the pieces, but it's not as if his original intent was not to sell.

Does anyone else find it slightly cringe-worthy to have all these personal emails posted in full like this for reasons I am having trouble deciphering.

Was the goal to deride? To embarrass? To ridicule? Can some please tell me what was supposed to me accomplished here?

When you own a piece of property, or more pointedly created the piece of property, I don't see the point of a thread like this to point out that a person named their own price. That's pretty much their exclusive right.

Your options are accept, bargain, barter, or walk away. It's Tony's property. If it were mine I would not be looking for public approval and acceptance in setting my prices either.

Just because it's OA doesn't mean there are any different rules for examination of prices on these boards. We've gone over it a bazillion times on comics.

They have the right to name their own price, we have the right to analyze and criticize it for what it is.

Full text of personal emails, most likely without getting permission to do so ahead of time, that happens all the time?

Above all, the fact is, these pages are very dear to me personally, and the price tag is what it takes to get me to allow them to leave my personal possession.

No because he was willing to sell it earlier for cheaper prices. If it was really about leave us alone, he never would have offered the pieces for sale in teh first place. It's jacked as a money grab. There's nothing wrong with it, but don't tell me how much you love it.

How much earlier Brian? Tony hasn't been on the convention circuit as much these last couple years as he was in 2005-2008. Some of these pages were prices at $2,000 or more two years ago.

We are talking about prices increased over a 5 year period. They have always been at what some people think is over market. That was for several reasons, a finite supply given that he wasn't working on the book anymore, and personal love for the work without a need to move it at bargain prices.

Look at it this way. If you had a book you liked a lot and would not sell it for less than double guide because it was a favorite would you leave it at double 2005 or 2008 guide or would that price change with whatever perceived market value was.

A lot of people talking about the increase in the price of this original art don't have much experience with OA. It's not uncommon in the OA market to have pieces double or triple in value in a single year. It's happened to several pieces I own. I have pieces that are worth 20 times what they were in 1999.

The hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over the jump in OA price doesn't seem to take into account the time lapse in the increase in prices and where Tony's prices from years ago compare to the market at that time. Tony's always loved these pieces, priced them accordingly, and the new prices don't indicate a change in desire or intent.

I just think given that most people are referring to 2 year old price levels (or older) it clouding the discussion, and in OA circles 2 year old prices might as well not exist given their respective relevance to today's market.

These are all fair points. But everything you've cited backs up my underlying point. He doesn't have to leave it at 2005 or 2008 prices. Tony may or may not love the pieces, but ultimately it's all about the money. It's exactly like the analogy I presented, the athlete who talks about how he always wanted to play here, but ultimately just takes the money. I don't care if they take the money, but I do criticize the notion that it's about anything but -- or they publicly try to say that it's anything but the money.

Also, they shouldn't be compelled to sell at ANY price they don't want to. But then you can't say, well I'm about something other than the money when you raise prices to astronomical levels in an attempt to cash in on the popularity. He should do that from a financial purpose, just don't claim it's about anything else.

Does anyone else find it slightly cringe-worthy to have all these personal emails posted in full like this for reasons I am having trouble deciphering.

Was the goal to deride? To embarrass? To ridicule? Can some please tell me what was supposed to me accomplished here?

When you own a piece of property, or more pointedly created the piece of property, I don't see the point of a thread like this to point out that a person named their own price. That's pretty much their exclusive right.

Your options are accept, bargain, barter, or walk away. It's Tony's property. If it were mine I would not be looking for public approval and acceptance in setting my prices either.

Just because it's OA doesn't mean there are any different rules for examination of prices on these boards. We've gone over it a bazillion times on comics.

They have the right to name their own price, we have the right to analyze and criticize it for what it is.

Full text of personal emails, most likely without getting permission to do so ahead of time, that happens all the time?

I'm not terribly sympathetic to the personal email side of it. Why does he assume there's privacy in his email sent to some one he never met and doesn't know at all?

I don't care if they are or they aren't. It's totally irrelevant and not a reason to discontinue a discussion about pricing which we do all the time on the boards. When people say, he Matt Nelson is a great guy (and he is) we certainly don't let issues die. Whether some people think they are nice, is totally off point.

I don't know them and I'm only discussing this from the point of the pricing alone. You can't have it both ways: I'm sure he loves the pieces, but it's not as if his original intent was not to sell.

What does it matter? He doesn't owe you, me, or anyone else an explanation.

It's no different than giving a telemarketer some excuse to get them to shut up and leave you alone.

The telemarketer doesn't call back after he's had a chance to reflect with his coworkers over a cigarette break, just to tell you your excuse was lame. What does it matter?

Don't pick the message apart trying to find some red herring to be angry about. The message is...these are the prices...take it or don't take it. doh!

What does it matter? He doesn't owe you, me, or anyone else an explanation.

It's no different than giving a telemarketer some excuse to get them to shut up and leave you alone.

The telemarketer doesn't call back after he's had a chance to reflect with his coworkers over a cigarette break, just to tell you your excuse was lame. What does it matter?

Don't pick the message apart trying to find some red herring to be angry about. The message is...these are the prices...take it or don't take it. doh!

No, he doesn't owe anyone an explanation, just like nobody here owes anyone an explanation for criticizing the prices extensively.

While I ultimately agree that the "dear to his heart" portion is a bit melodramatic, this here quote sums up everything in a nutshell.

These are all fair points. But everything you've cited backs up my underlying point. He doesn't have to leave it at 2005 or 2008 prices. Tony may or may not love the pieces, but ultimately it's all about the money. It's exactly like the analogy I presented, the athlete who talks about how he always wanted to play here, but ultimately just takes the money. I don't care if they take the money, but I do criticize the notion that it's about anything but -- or they publicly try to say that it's anything but the money.

Also, they shouldn't be compelled to sell at ANY price they don't want to. But then you can't say, well I'm about something other than the money when you raise prices to astronomical levels in an attempt to cash in on the popularity. He should do that from a financial purpose, just don't claim it's about anything else.

How exactly are they taking the money? They had them originally priced not to sell and now with the popularity, they might be thinking they have to raise them again not to sell. I don't care who you are, there is always a price and in this case it's very high. Doesn't mean he wants to move them and can't love them. He's had the pages for over 5 years.

I'm not terribly sympathetic to the personal email side of it. Why does he assume there's privacy in his email sent to some one he never met and doesn't know at all?

My judgment fall more on the person posting the private email than on the person sending the email's expectations. The sender might not have a semantic legal right to expect anything. However, society tends to place expectations on people that go beyond the bare minimum required.

Presumably if you respect the artist's work enough to want to own a piece of their art you would also attempt to respect the artist himself enough to find a more tactful way to discuss the current prices and how they relate to your expectations.

Tony might not have any recourse against the private emails posted in public but that doesn't mean that the person posting them should not govern himself in a more respectful manner.

Wow! and I thought Moore's art was expensive before!

I remember looking at Fear Agent Pages that were priced $500 or so at Heroes con like 3 years ago. and that was too much at that time for me!

Especially considering that his art blows. The art is pedestrian at best. Significant only because of the story IMO

Wow! and I thought Moore's art was expensive before!

I remember looking at Fear Agent Pages that were priced $500 or so at Heroes con like 3 years ago. and that was too much at that time for me!

Especially considering that his art blows. The art is pedestrian at best. Significant only because of the story IMO

Some people would say the same about Ditko or Kirby.

(shrug)

How exactly are they taking the money? They had them originally priced not to sell and now with the popularity, they might be thinking they have to raise them again not to sell. I don't care who you are, there is always a price and in this case it's very high. Doesn't mean he wants to move them and can't love them. He's had the pages for over 5 years.

That's certainly possible and I agree that there is always a price. But then the money is the ultimate driving factor. If you didn't want to sell don't even price the items, just accept offers or say, they aren't for sale. So while I agree that it's possible that he doesn't "really" want to move them, I bristle at the notion that he somehow "loves" them.