• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

The only reason those prices are so high started on 10-31-2010 at 10pm EST.

That's probably true. But it appears you weren't interested enough to buy any before then, either.

Please read the entire thread as I said I was but even the pre-show prices were outrageous when I inquired about them.

I was just going to bite the bullet and buy one, but at his new prices I would be throwing money out the window for free for his "personal selling justification." doh!

Okay now I am really done, later. ;)

Right. You wanted the art before the show, but felt it was too high. AFTER the show aired, you didn't feel it was too high anymore. Unfortunately for you, by then, neither did Tony lol

Look, I'd love to get a Moore example, but these prices are too high for me as well. I do believe Tony when he says he doesn't really want to sell...I know he's turned down some crazy offers in the past (including a couple from me). I think these prices reflect that. I'm solidly in the camp that believes he can charge whatever he wants. The unfortunate side effect, in the short term, is that everyone else is going to base their values on his ASKING prices. It's going to take a little time for the market to sort it out. Patience is a key to the OA hobby.

to me the whole "no body is putting a gun to your head" statements I always find really defensive, I think we see it posted quite offen. Usually by people who feel like they have been found out charging quite a bit for something. It is very easy just to say thank you for your interest, I feel these prices are appropriate at this time.

How about when it's in response to someone telling you that you are asking Jack Kirby money and you are no Jack Kirby?

It's extremely delicate and difficult to negotiate prices on artwork with that artwork's creator. Trying to get a better price without telling them their sense of self worth is misplaced in incredibly difficult for the most diplomatic of people, and from what I have read in this thread this was not the most diplomatically of handled situations.

First rule of price negotiation with an artist...NEVER EVER compare their art or their prices with any other artist or prices. You are just asking for trouble and for a response like the "nobody is putting a gun to your head".

Think of it as your new girlfriend feeling free to compare your manhood to her last boyfriend's manhood. Unless she puts you in the "tree trunk" category the conversation is going downhill fast.

Exactly. And if you'll go back and notice, John didn't post his email that he sent to Tony, he just gave a halfassed summary. He didn't mind copy and pasting all the other pieces of correspondence aside from the one email.

I'm sure Tony was more than pleasant him, and I would have told him to go *fork* himself with a cactus. That's just me.

But again, I'm just using my gut feeling on this. I could be wrong. John might have told him very nicely that his artwork was mess compared to Kirby.

When was the last time you marked your stock up 10,000%?

Was that what Tony did? I'm not that good at math how did you calculate that percentage increase?

Yes, yesterday all of his pieces were $2,000 and today they are $200,000.

Tony had his eye on a Ferrari and figured that one page of art in trade is the right rate of exchange.

Was that what Tony did? I'm not that good at math how did you calculate that percentage increase?

I quit paying attention long ago. I thought someone mentioned a page that used to $1000 was now $10,000, that's 1000%. Oh, I see. I hit an extra zero. I apologize.

Yes, yesterday all of his pieces were $2,000 and today they are $200,000.

Tony had his eye on a Ferrari and figured that one page of art in trade is the right rate of exchange.

I said I hit an extra zero. :makepoint:

This thread has taught me one thing. I can't afford Zombie OA!

Not Aldred or Moore. I even just checked Arthur Suydam and Sean Philips pieces (Marvel Zombies) and they're out of my league too.

There needs to be more cheap Zombies! :headbang:

I was on the phone last night with Kara and Tony and we talked about the art and the fact that it was up for sale now.

They are protective of Tony's art and always have been. They do not need to sell it, but offer it up for sale if people are interested at the prices they want (which is their right). Many feel (if not most) that it is overpriced in comparison to other artists, but the simple fact for the Moores is that they are content to keep it.

I have for quite some time now explained that this is the opportunity to sell when Walking Dead appears to be at an all time high and now would be the best time to move some pieces.

I hope that helps to understand where they are coming from and those that know both Tony and Kara know they are great people who try to offer all kinds of items to fans (prints, buttons, shirts etc), but the art is something very near and dear to their heart.

If it also helps, I have been good friends with both for several years now and I still do not own a piece of OA from Walking Dead, never been able to budget it even when it was much lower in price.

I thought someone mentioned a page that used to $1000 was now $10,000, that's 1000%. Oh, I see. I hit an extra zero. I apologize.

Let's clear up a few misunderstandings this fustercluck of a thread has produced.

1) The "1000%" isn't correct. John said this...

This piece of OA was confirmed by my friend who was interested in the page last year quoted at $1300.00, and he passed cause that was pretty expensive.

Now it's: WD Issue 2 page 14 - 8,000.00

Which is 6 times more expensive than it was LAST YEAR. Who knows when it was? I'm going by the estimate that we're given.

2) There has been a lot of talk about how cheap the price on the art was on October 30, 2010, yet nobody has produced a single price list from October 30, 2010. The only "old" price thrown around was one from "last year". A whole friggin lot has happened to this title in the past year.

Show me the price list from October 30, 2010. I'm sure it doesn't exist.

3) Everyone is piling on TM about how he didn't care about the art as he claims in his email, yet we didn't get to read John's "Kirby" email. I think we should hold judgment until all the cards are on the table. I'm betting a few people change sides when this email is produced. I'm still waiting to see it.

:popcorn:

Excuse me. He raised his price by nearly 625%. That's a big difference. :eyeroll:

From a price that's a year old on a product that in the past year that has spawned a television series and gone viral.

I don't see the problem.

It's hot. He has it. Nobody else has it. There is no "market price" because he *is* the market price.

Excuse me. He raised his price by nearly 625%. That's a big difference. :eyeroll:

From a price that's a year old on a product that in the past year that has spawned a television series and gone viral.

I don't see the problem.

It's hot. He has it. Nobody else has it. There is no "market price" because he *is* the market price.

There is no market price because no one in the art market is willing to pay his new price.

I don't see the problem.

There is no market price because no one in the art market is willing to pay his new price.

Maybe he's trying to set a "STFU Price". hm

I don't see the problem.

Maybe he's trying to set a "STFU Price". hm

Well, it's interesting that the sound of silence went up right after the TV series hit.